• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla Salt

dockhl

I recently made up some vanilla salt, incredibly fragrant but doesn't seem to have much vanilla flavor.

I sprinkled some on fresh mozzarella, figuring that was a very neutral base. Got some vanilla scent but only salt taste.

Now, it has only been a week since I out the chopped up beans in the salt. Do you think I might just be expecting too much, too soon?

'Nother question:

when it is ready, what the heck should I do with it? :huh::laugh:

I just figured out I now love this on buttered corn!

and yes I can taste it I split one fat bean and put it in about 1 cup of kosher salt

I started using pinches the day after I put the bean

just start using it on things and see what you like it with ...

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

My mother accidentally made vanilla salt over a year ago. I'm not sure about the flavour, yet, but I used some of it in my neti pot, and it was not a good idea. It was very, very fragrant, and while that can be seen as a good thing, it's not a good thing in a neti pot.

I'm going to bring some back to Japan with me and sprinkle it on homemade caramels. Yum!

Roasted yams. Roasted until they're caramelized and oozing lovely brown yam goodness. Smash them just ever so lightly. Lashings of cold creamy unsalted butter. A little splosh of heavy cream for good measure. Plate em up. Good dose of vanilla salt on top.

(gotta run...I now know what I'm having with dinner tonight). best, steph.

I recently made up some vanilla salt, incredibly fragrant but doesn't seem to have much vanilla flavor.

I sprinkled some on fresh mozzarella, figuring that was a very neutral base. Got some vanilla scent but only salt taste.

Now, it has only been a week since I out the chopped up beans in the salt. Do you think I might just be expecting too much, too soon?

'Nother question:

That is because sugar carries the flavor or vanilla not salt.Most taste associations of vanilla come with sweetness.

Roasted yams.  Roasted until they're caramelized and oozing lovely brown yam goodness.  Smash them just ever so lightly.  Lashings of cold creamy unsalted butter.  A little splosh of heavy cream for good measure.  Plate em up.  Good dose of vanilla salt on top. 

(gotta run...I now know what I'm having with dinner tonight).  best, steph.

this sounds perfect~

I used to serve a lobster ravioli with a vanilla beure blanc but I suspect that your vanilla salt would be best utilized as a finishing salt.

Foie gras is another good candidate, use your vanilla salt as a finish. Sauternes and foie gras pair well together; sauternes are fermented in oak barrels which infuses vanilla flavours into the sauterne wines.

Chocolates and salt work well together, why not use the salt as a garnish on souffles?

Edited by Fugu (log)