• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap eats around Ste Catherine west

jessejesse

My Girlfriend and I have a short weekend coming up and have decided to take a trip to Montreal from NYC for two days. were staying right off of ste catherine west on drummond street. Never been but really excited!

I would love to find a few spots (Budget IS a little bit of an issue) to grab some good eats and some good wine.

These are the few i've found on my own, but as we all know, being a tourist is a gamble without a good local voice.

any thoughts, likes, dislikes?

Mister Steer (for a burger)

Le Soubise

Cafe Presto

Actuel

Papillon Bleu

De pizza a nizza

L'Express

Any of these we should avoid or absolutely go for a bite or any additions?

Thanks! If ever in NYC i'll return the favor :wink:

Also I should mention that i'm rather partial to the traditional french cuisine, but would love to find some out of the ordinary stuff as well!

Edited by jessejesse (log)

When on a budget, I like to go to bring your own wine restaurants. Unlike some other cities, there are no corking fees. This of course would mean that you shop before hand at a SAQ (state run liquor store), selection varies per store but you can find some good wine at a decent price.

While not exactly in your area, I do like Yoyo and Le Pegase as BYOB places. Montreal has many BYOB restaurants, I’m sure some may have other suggestions.

Mister Steer is an American style burger joint – while the burgers look homemade, it’s nothing out of the ordinary. For something a little different, in the same style, I’d try La Parise (302 Ontario Est). If you go to La Parise, there a nice Whisky Bar close by called “L’Ile Noir”.

Le Soubise – Some nights are better than others. Not a real consistent place. I find it expensive for what you get. YMMV.

Actuel – Last time I was there, I found it average – maybe I’m getting pickier in my old age.

Ambience wise, L’Entrecôte Saint-Jean is appreciated by some, but the menu limited. It’s a French styled bistro that serves steak and fries (entrecote and fries). Meat is okay, but not fine dining by any stretch. (Note have not been in a few years)

There is a place on Crescent that is a little different (not being a overt tourist trap) called Devi. They serve Indian food.

Edited by ArtistSeries (log)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I actually work in a wine shop in NYC and I plan on bringing some bottles up there. Any idea on how many is too much to cross the border with? :smile:

It's funny that you mentioned BYOB's, I take full advantage of BYOB here, and those restaurants are definately something that I wanted to look for while we were in Montreal.

Edited by jessejesse (log)

I actually work in a wine shop in NYC and I plan on bringing some bottles up there. Any idea on how many is too much to cross the border with? :smile:

I'm not sure how it works for Americans bringing wine with them... sorry.

Two bottles per adult.

Le Grand Comptoir is an inexpensive bistro in Phillips Square just off Ste Catherine. Not a destination restaurant by any means, just decent food for a reasonable price. It's always packed at lunch time. Go for dinner when it's much more calm.

Le Grand Comptoir is an inexpensive bistro in Phillips Square just off Ste Catherine. Not a destination restaurant by any means, just decent food for a reasonable price. It's always packed at lunch time. Go for dinner when it's much more calm.

Thanks, I marked it down to check it out. What about a good Market for Cheese, produce, meat, or a good wine shop in that area? What are some of the best food markets in the city?

The two main markets are Jean Talon and Atwater. Atwater is much closer to where you will be staying - if you have a car, it's about a 5-minute drive. Jean Talon is much larger but about 15 or 20 minutes away by car. There is much more at Jean Talon, but depending on what you're looking for, there's certainly a decent selection at Atwater. I believe there are some threads here on the two markets, wish you may wish to check out - and also a few on the "other" board.

For cheese, there's Fromagerie Atwater (at Atwater Market) and at Jean Talon there's Hamel and Qui Lait Cru (among others).

As for the restaurants you mentioned, L'Express is okay, although I prefer Holder (in Old Montreal) for bistro. Au Petit Extra is good (and reasonable). None of these are byob, however. I agree that you should skip Mister Steer, and head to La Paryse for burgers.

I dined at Entrecote St Jean in Quebec City last month, and if the Montreal location is similar, I'd skip it...it was okay, but really nothing special. There are a few decent sandwich spots downtown (although they're not inexpensive by any means, but they are good) - MB & Co (on Stanley), and Vasco da Gama (on Peel).

As for the restaurants you mentioned, L'Express is okay, although I prefer Holder (in Old Montreal) for bistro.  Au Petit Extra is good (and reasonable).  None of these are byob, however.  I agree that you should skip Mister Steer, and head to La Paryse for burgers.

This is very very helpful, thank you a lot! I hate being a tourist and potentially not getting to see what a great food city (such as Montreal) has to offer. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

We do have a car so I cant wait to check out the markets!

This is very very helpful, thank you a lot! I hate being a tourist and potentially not getting to see what a great food city (such as Montreal) has to offer. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

We do have a car so I cant wait to check out the markets!

Sounds like you're set for a nice time in our lovely city (and stay away from Mr. Steer).

Are you going to be like Daniel last November, who decided to surprise the local merchants during his last visit when he shopped for a friend living in Canada?

Thanks, I marked it down to check it out. What about a good Market for Cheese, produce, meat, or a good wine shop in that area? What are some of the best food markets in the city?

Although I admit to rare cravings for a Mr. Steer burger, I would certainly swap out Mr. Steer for le Grand Comptoir's Andouillette.. A tripe sausage with a dijon sauce, and some very good pommes allumettes.

Coming from a guy who is not wild about tripe, they have to be pretty darn good for me to eat them, let alone recommend them.

As for junk food, La Banquis is a good recommendation, but I have an addiction to Dic Ann's High Boy with Cheese. This is an all dressed burger, with their special sauce, that is pressed to the thickness of a pencil. Originally advertised as thin enough to slide under a door, these super thin burgers can be filling. I can attest to this, as when I was much younger, I had attempted to eat a dozen high boys in a bet, and lost after 8. The cook claimed it was the lettuce. I claimed it was foolishness.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Not so much junk food, but a real bagel (feels like they make it with cement) from St.Viateur or Fairmount… Schwartz's smoke meat is always a treat for me (call it a guilty pleasure).

From "Au pied de cochon", the "poutine with foie gras" and the "pouding chomeur"....

Edited by ArtistSeries (log)

Speaking of junk food... What about Chocolate spots, candy gems, strange patisseries, or dessert bars?

What sweets Should I look for in Montreal?

Les Chocolats De Chloé

375 RUE ROY EST

(514) 849-5550

Natas (egg custard tarts) at

Rotisserie Romados

115 Rue Rachel Est

The Polish plum donuts from Wawel at Jean Talon Market

Wawel Patisserie

7070 AVENUE HENRI-JULIEN

(514) 279-8289

Pastries from

Premiere Moisson

895 RUE DE LA GAUCHETIÈRE OUEST

and various other locations throughout the city

The brownies, chocolate bread, and chocolate brioche at

Olive et Gourmando

351 RUE SAINT-PAUL OUEST

(514) 350-1083

The Panna Cotta at

Brasserie Brunoise

1012 RUE DE LA MONTAGNE

(514) 933-3885

Whippets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whippet_cookie

Edited by rcianci (log)

a few more...

Havre au Glaces for the best ice cream going (Jean Talon and Atwater markets, although JTM has the full selection, Atwater only has a small choice)

Chocolats Genevieve Grandbois (162 St. Viateur west, and also at Atwater Market)

Suite 88 Chocolatier (3957 St. Denis) for chocolates, coffee, milkshakes (and decadent hot chocolate, although not in this weather...)

Now I'm getting hungry...

Persian cookies at Nocochi. They are tiny little treasures of deliciousness. Skip the lunch menu though. It's pretty mediocre.

Nocochi Pâtisserie Café Inc

2156 MACKAY, MONTRÉAL, QC H3G 2J1

(514) 989-7514

Edited by Snackhappy (log)

My favorite cheap eats would be in the Fauberg Ste-Catherine, 2nd floor - Restaurant Bangkok. Don't let the food court atmosphere scare you off; their Thai food is renown & has been enjoyed for many years. You may want to avoid all the restos you listed & follow the advice of those who have commented here. I would especially recommend that you head to Jean Talon Market for ... well ... just about everything/anything! There's very cheap indoor & outside parking & you can browse & graze to your heart's content. I hope you enjoy & please come back to this post & let us know what you thought (& ate!).

My favorite cheap eats would be in the Fauberg Ste-Catherine, 2nd floor - Restaurant Bangkok.  Don't let the food court atmosphere scare you off; their Thai food is renown & has been enjoyed for many years.  You may want to avoid all the restos you listed & follow the advice of those who have commented here.  I would especially recommend that you head to Jean Talon Market for ... well ... just about everything/anything!  There's very cheap indoor & outside parking & you can browse & graze to your heart's content.  I hope you enjoy & please come back to this post & let us know what you thought (& ate!).

I've made a reservation for Restaurant au Pied du Cochon, and cant wait to what else I find. Thanks a lot for all of the options! I'll make a good report for when I return! Thanks again!

jessejesse, i just went to pied de cochon the other day, for the first time in a year or so, and it was out of control! wow! you're gonna love it!

dessert was a frozen maple sugar pie dipped in hot chocolate served on a stick, like a popsicle. it was absolutely sick.

the foie gras poutine was a winner, so were the bison bbq ribs. i saw some stuff coming out of the kitchen that was completely sick: 3 inch thick pork chops, heaps of vegetables, it was just sick sick sick.

enjoy...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

jessejesse, i just went to pied de cochon the other day, for the first time in a year or so, and it was out of control!  wow!  you're gonna love it! 

dessert was a frozen maple sugar pie dipped in hot chocolate served on a stick, like a popsicle.  it was absolutely sick.

the foie gras poutine was a winner, so were the bison bbq ribs.  i saw some stuff coming out of the kitchen that was completely sick: 3 inch thick pork chops, heaps of vegetables, it was just sick sick sick. 

enjoy...

Are they done with the seafood for this year? I notice it's no longer listed on the on-line menu.

dessert was a frozen maple sugar pie dipped in hot chocolate served on a stick, like a popsicle.  it was absolutely sick.

Hey riboflavinjoe,

This sounds like an absolutely unavoidable dessert! THANKS! It's this up coming weekend and I couldnt be more excited!

Can't wait, thanks again!