• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dwarf meyer lemon trees

alwang

I recently noticed that Williams Sonoma is selling small potted meyer lemon trees:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sk...er&cm%5Fsrc=SCH

I believe the claim is that they are hardy enough to grow indoors, even in cold climates (I live in the Northeast). I've also noticed there's a couple of other places that sell them online. I'd love to have an abundant source of Meyer lemons: anyone in cold weather have any experience raising one? How well does it grow, and how's the yield?

Thanks,

-al

---

al wang

I have a Meyer lemon in a pot. I live in USDA zone 5, I think. I've had the lemon for two or three years. At the time I regretted not buying a lime too. But now, it's just as well. The lemon is outside now, but I bring it in for the winter. I bought it at a nursery for $20. It's now in a bigger pot and it has grown a lot. It doesn't do that great in the winter, but it hangs on. I had visions of a steady supply of lemons. This has not transpired. I have had one lemon, so far. Inside I think it doesn't get enough sunlight. I put it next to an east facing window. A horticulture expert told me that lemons main growing season is winter. Also, I don't have any bees in my house to pollinate the flowers. I tried to pollinate them using a Q tip, but it wasn't very succesful.

I hate to be a killjoy, but my experiment is not really a success. Also, I think the Williams-Sonoma lemon, at $69, seems too high, even if that includes shipping.

I grew up with Meyer lemons growing in our garden (in another climate) so I know how nice they are, but I have not found growing them in a pot that great.

The Meyer is reputedly as hardy as Lemons get.

But avoid repotting (lemons are a bit sensitive about that - and I understand that it reduces the crop till the new pot is full of roots), overwatering (especially I believe in winter), and cold winter draughts, while making sure it gets as much light as possible. Offend it and it'll drop its leaves in winter, not I think automatically killing it, but certainly making it even more delicate...

They are rather easy to kill but, if you get it absolutely right, even a small tree can provide quite a lot of fruit - judging by some other people's that I've seen...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

mine overnight became covered with more aphids than I had ever seen in my life! ...then as soon as that was under control died of a blight or something ..it was depressing!

I dont think I will try it again they are expensive and I get too attached to my plants

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I live in Buffalo, NY (snow anyone?) and last summer started with a 2-3 year old Meyer Lemon from Four Winds Growers.

It was potted, left outside for the summer, brought inside this winter (our house was kept at 66 when we were home and awake and 58 when we were away or asleep). It had a few flower blooms over the winter and in the spring just before we took it outside again, 2 lemons started growing. Haven't picked them yet, but there are now 6 full size lemons (still green though), and at least 10 smaller ones starting to grow.

No insect problems to speak of...yet...Very easy to take care of. If the leaves start yellowing a little, we give it some fertilizer for acid-lovers, and they perk right up again.

Very excited for some lemons...