• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anything new in Newcastle?

Are there any good, possibly interesting, new restaurants in or very near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, either plain or fancy? By "new" I guess I mean within the past couple of years. Thanks.

Are there any good, possibly interesting, new restaurants in or very near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, either plain or fancy? By "new" I guess I mean within the past couple of years. Thanks.

It's probably not "last couple of years" but when when I go to the Toon I make a beeline for www.caffezonzo.com out in Sandyford - stylish neighbourhood joint with great atmopsphere and more than adequate Italian grub. Cheap too.

Terry Laybourne's operations are still the benchmark for Tyneside, Cafe 21 and also Jesmond Dene House, a beautiful hotel located 10 minutes from the city centre. I recommend the Black Door Brasserie in Shieldfield, about 5 minutes from town. The main Black Door Restaurant has a very high standard but over a period I found the portions to be getting smaller and smaller - haven't been since late last year. The Comfort Food Co in Pudding Chare is definitely worth a visit. They are very keen on provenance and almost all their produce comes from local sources - check their website.

Having said the above, I think some of the best and best-value cooking is currently at Amer's Restaurant in The Jesmond Hotel http://www.amers-jesmondhotel.co.uk/page10.htm. Paul Amer was head chef at The Fisherman's Lodge, a very good but now frighteningly expensive restaurant in Jesmond Dene. He also worked for Terry Laybourne. Amer's has just been awarded a michelin bib gourmand. The food is outstanding and front of house manager/owner, Charlie White, is also ex Lodge. If you only go to one place, try this one.

For inexpensive, you have to try Pani's Cafe in High Bridge. A wonderful place owned by a Sardinian family - no pizzas, but some very interesting sardinian dishes. The staff are delightful. It's been around for a long time as has Komal Balti on Stanhope Street. Very good Indian food - no licence so byo with no corkage charge. You can save a fortune if, like me. you are keen on wine and hate restaurant mark-ups.

Many thanks. I see, Alan, that you are based there: any meat/produce or general food shopping favorites? We'll be cooking in more than eating out, and my father-in-law's garden produce is plentiful but limited in variety.

Many thanks. I see, Alan, that you are based there: any meat/produce or general food shopping favorites? We'll be cooking in more than eating out, and my father-in-law's garden produce is plentiful but limited in variety.

emsny

Here are some suggestions:

Meat - Northumbrian Quality Meats in the food hall at Fenwicks Department Store. Not cheap, but worth it.

Fish - the various fishmongers at the Grainger Indoor Market. Also the fish quay at North Shields where you can buy stuff freshly landed.

Veg - Grainger Indoor Market or Fenwicks.

Deli - Stewart & Co, Brentwood Avenue, West Jesmond. Very good for cheese, dried pasta, olive oil and other goodies.

Ridleys's Fish & Game in Corbridge are supposed to be very good, but they are 15 miles west of the city.

Hope the above helps.

I left Newcastle two years ago but I used to buy quite a lot of foodstuffs at the asian grocers in Brighton Grove (Fenham) and also the Chinese supermarket in Stowell Street (city centre).

If you are interested in cookbooks Appleby's bookshop in Morpeth had a good bargain section upstairs which used to have quite a lot of american titles at very good prices - I really miss going there.

I can second Northumbrian Quality Meats - used to buy their produce at the Newcastle & Morpeth farmers markets - never disappointed and they did good mutton too.

I always found the Grainger Market a bit of a lottery - too many disappointments but more of the shops were turinng self service which made them a safer option.

I always found the Grainger Market a bit of a lottery - too many disappointments but more of the shops were turinng self service which made them a safer option.

The Grainger Market needs to be approached with a degree of caution but there's good stuff there if you look hard enough. For example, one of the fishmongers also has an outlet in Fenwicks, but the market prices are generally lower. Agree about Brighton Grove, a treasure trove for Indian/Bangladeshi cooking.

The thing that struck me when I last visited NCL and Grainger Market - perhaps five years ago - was that the fishmongers in the market generally had a very limited range of fish, but that with careful shopping you could find the odd surprising creature from local(ish) waters. I suppose most shoppers are pretty well set in their ways.

• 3 weeks later...

bit of bad news for the Newcastle Restaurant scene, Black Door Restaurant on Clayton St is closing down, and the group want to concentrate on the brasserie in shieldfield and events catering.

on an unrelated note, i think Secco is the best restaurant in town, at least for the daily set menu which is excellent value.

Edited by johnnypd (log)

bit of bad news for the Newcastle Restaurant scene, Black Door Restaurant on Clayton St is closing down, and the group want to concentrate on the brasserie in shieldfield and events catering.

I heard a rumour the last time I was back up there that the Black Door are planning on opening a brasserie in Morpeth - where the Sour Grapes is/was.

Charlies in newcastle used to be OK but haven't been for a year or so - so no idea now.