• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Watermelons- seedless vs. seeded

rob7

One of my favorite summertime treats- watermelon (with a sprinkle of salt to bring out that sweetness).

I never really thought about the difference between seedless vs. seeded until recently and asked around. The only answer I got besides " I don't know" is that seeded watermelons are sweeter. I did a tasting of one seeded and one seedless and the only advantage I found between the two was that the seeded had a firmer, crisper flesh.

But, I don't think that my tasting was necessarily right because of product inconsistencies--- one day I get a seedless that is sweeter, couple days later a second melon from the same bin bought the same day doesn't have much sweetness at all, etc.

So, any thoughts? Are there differences between seeded and seedless watermelons?

I always think that the ones with seeds are more watermelony-tasting, but it could be all in my head. Plus they have the seeds, which I like to eat--they taste kind of like pumpkin seeds. Around here (Seattle) it's hard to find seedy ones.

Hi,

There are many varieties of watermelon and some of the very best are newer seedless varieties. You have to ask your farmer for guidance.

The Sugar Baby is round and very dark and wonderfully sweet.

Tim

Dulcinea use to be a client of mine and they told me that if the fruit got stressed during growing they would produce seeds so no one is allowed in the fields until harvest!

That sounds wrong to me, seedlessness is caused by a genetic mutation.

Personally, I've found seeded ones just taste more watermelonly to me although I've tried both seeded and seedless in Seattle and there was a lot of inconsistency in both types so it was hard to evaluate.

PS: I am a guy.