• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Suggestions in Central NJ

Randi

Hi folks,

I'm hoping you can help me find a place to go with a friend after work one day this week or next. Because it is a weeknight, and right after work, I need a place that's local. I live near North Edison and work in Cranford, so any places in that vicinity would be great.

I read the review of Chez Catherine but he felt that was a little too elegant for after work and for a first meal together. He said if I could find something a little less er...upscale? it would be better for this outing.

We love the menu at Bistro J, but that's a bit too far.

Has anyone been to Elio's in Edison? I've never tried it, and know nothing about it...Rosie? ever been there? (it's on Inman Ave in the Inman Grove Shopping Center).

Is Constantine's still open in Metuchen? I went there years ago.

Any other places in Edison or Metuchen or nearby that would be relaxed but better-than-average food?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi,

In Metuchen, Dan's on Main is a very pleasant restaurant with quite good food. Here is the link to the website so you can have a look at the menu: Dan's on Main. His "signature" appetizer, the pierogi -- delicious!

In Kenilworth, Le Rendez-Vous is a small bistro serving excellent French/Mediterranean cuisine. It has been quite a while since we have eaten here, but the food was always terrific, and all recent reports about it have been excellent. Have a look at the menu on their site: Le Rendez-Vous

I believe both of these are BYO's

BTW, I was the one who provided the review of Chez Catherine. While it might have seemed too elegant for your purposes, in reality, it is a very pretty and comfortable place, but not so fancy that it couldn't be enjoyable for a mid-week dinner after work. The men are not even required to wear jackets. But, of course, it's your call.

Randi - Two suggestions for you - one from each area that you mentioned. Try out Theresa's on Elm Street in Westfield(just off North Ave.). Excellent Italian BYO - usually packed on the weekends - so dining on a weeknight should be easier. In Metuchen is absolutely my favorite NJ restaurant - Cafe Abbraci on Durham Road. I have had everything on their menu and one item is better than the next. Their appetizers are superb - particullairly the duck crepe and the mushroom strudel - try both! Cafe Abbraci is also a BYO and also usually very crowded on weekends but more manageable during the week. Have a great time!

:smile:

A.D.S.

LouCa's in Colonial Village Shopping Center, Rt. 27 and Parsonage Rd. BYO. Meemah a Chinese restaurant is there also. Constantine is not at Constantine's anymore. He owns the Metuchen Inn. I believe Contstantine's is still open but I haven't been there in years.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hi Roz,

I really liked your review of Chez Catherine, it was my friend who thought we should find a different place this time around. I sent him your response here and we'll see if he changes his mind. (He's not read it yet.)

Dan's on Main sounds great. I checked out the menu on the website. (I want to go there for Sunday Brunch! - Do you know if it gets pretty crowded on Sundays?)

I've already been making selections (well, mental notes) of the dishes I want to try...I don't know how I will pare it down. The appetizers are especially tempting with the "crab, butternut squash and corn salad accompanied by toasted almonds and a green apple gelee", the "spinach with oyster mushrooms, bacon and smoked salmon accompanied by a peppered pineapple vinaigrette" and "summer tomato salad with goat cheese cream" (YUM!)...and oh yes..you mentioned the pierogies. How will I decide?

Le Rendez-vous - wow...I definitely want to go there sometime as well. (even if just to try their "warm chocolate ganache cake with bay leaf english cream"!)

RockADs - I have passed Abracci's loads of time and always wondered what it was like! Thanks for the tip! I should have posed this question long ago.

Rosie - I was at LouCas years ago, and that Chinese Restaurant as well. Actually, the Chinese place had a different name, so it probably had different owners. Have you been to the Metuchen Inn? That's another place I pass all the time and have wondered about...

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think my friend will need to pop over to Jersey more often so I can try them all!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Hi, Randi --

Thanks for your kind words about my Chez Catherine review. I really enjoyed writing it and sharing our experience. I'll be curious to see how your friend responds to my further explanation. I added it because I didn't want you to miss out on a restaurant just because you or your friend thought -- incorrectly, I think -- that it is only a "special occasion" place. In its earlier incarnation, we used to go there mid-week because we wanted really, really good food, and not just because we were celebrating something special. And in those days, men were required to wear jackets all the time.

Here's an extra little anecdote. Back about 12 years ago, we took my daughter and her college roommate there for dinner (mid-week). At that time, the roommate's "upscale" restaurant experience was basically non-existent. Well, during the meal, it became obvious to all of us that she was reacting as though she had died and gone to heaven. And to this day, even though she has since eaten more widely, any time the subject of that meal comes us, she waxes rhapsodic about it.

We have never had brunch at Dan's. Our two dinner experiences there were mid-week. The space isn't large, and it was busy both time, so reservations are definitely in order.

Please let us know what you and your friend finally decide and then how it turns out.

Roz