• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

one month in chicago

babern38

I have just moved to chicago to do a one month rotation at Northwestern. I will be staying at the hilton garden inn on 10 N grand. While I have several ideas from my history of reading on this board, I'm looking for some more recs for places to eat whenever I get the time (which may not be much). Most of these will probably be solo meals, so anyplace where you can eat at the bar (Avec, Avenues, etc.) would be nice. I know Frontera is a block away as well as brasserie jo. where else? I'm also looking for good little, cheap spots. Where is some cheap, close mexican, thai, chinese food? all recs appreciated

Also, once I get my schedule figured out on Monday I plan to see if a group of egulleters would want to get together.

I eat solo at a lot of places when I'm out of town, and occasionally around here. Anyplace (any good place) is likely to be just fine for a solo diner, whether you prefer to eat at the bar, or at a table for one (which I generally prefer, but that's up to you). I've never been made to feel uncomfortable or out of place in any way when doing so. So I would suggest not worrying about looking for places for solo dining. Go anywhere you want and it should be fine.

Wow, you're in a great location, right by the Grand stop on the Red Line.

For Mexican food, take the Pink Line to 18th for Nuevo Leon.

It's not close (but not all that far, either), but for Thai food you can take the Red Line north to Sheridan for TAC Quick.

WHT is correct about Chinatown. Laoszechuan is highly recommended.

(BTW, the Hilton Garden Inn is at 10 East Grand.)

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Since you're going to be pressed for time - the joys of practicing medicine :wink: - I honestly don't think it makes sense to spend a lot of your limited time taking the el for cheap eats in other neighborhoods where you're going to kill 30-45 minutes each way in travel time (between the train ride, the waiting time, and walking at either end). Maybe on your day off, if you feel like it, but not most of the time, which is what you're asking about. Especially since there are so many food places within a 5 minute walk of where you're staying and working.

There are some places around the hotel and the Northwestern Medical Center for less expensive eats (and lots and lots of places for more expensive eats). Pizza is your friend; Uno's and Due are near the hotel, and Giordano's and Gino's East are near the medical center. Call ahead with your order to avoid having to wait 30-45 minutes for the pizza to bake. Fox and Obel is a gourmet grocery store a few blocks east on Grand from the hotel (and south of the med center), and in the rear they have a cafe serving darn good food all day long; you'll find their cafe menu on their website. There's a food court in Water Tower Place near the med center where there are various food places to get something quick (foodlife, etc). Coco Pazzo Cafe isn't cheap eats, but it's moderately priced, and good Italian, near the hotel; similarly, Bistro 110 is moderately-priced, excellent for French bistro near the med center. I'm sure the folks at the hotel (and the hospital) can make lots more recommendations of what else is close by.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

thanks for all the recs. I have yet to explore the the "L", but am looking forward to venturing down to chinatown . As I've been walking around I've started to find a lot of little spots that will be good to try. Some look shady, but sometimes those yield the best surprises.

I am looking forward to going to fox & obel as I've read good things on egullet. Be assured I'll keep everyone up to date with my experiences.

thanks for all the recs.  I have yet to explore the the "L", but am looking forward to venturing down to chinatown .  As I've been walking around I've started to find a lot of little spots that will be good to try.  Some look shady, but sometimes those yield the best surprises. 

I am looking forward to going to fox & obel as I've read good things on egullet.  Be assured I'll keep everyone up to date with my experiences.

Fox and Obel is very hit or miss. Some things are great (like meat), while others (like produce) are pretty terrible. If you are in Chicago now and interested in produce, you can't do better than one of the local farmer's markets (many of which also sell meat, cheese, bread, prepared foods, and have chef demonstrations, among other things). Here is a list of markets in Chicago.; my personal favorite is the Green City Market in Lincoln Park.

thanks for all the recs.  I have yet to explore the the "L", but am looking forward to venturing down to chinatown .  As I've been walking around I've started to find a lot of little spots that will be good to try.  Some look shady, but sometimes those yield the best surprises. 

I am looking forward to going to fox & obel as I've read good things on egullet.  Be assured I'll keep everyone up to date with my experiences.

Fox and Obel is very hit or miss. Some things are great (like meat), while others (like produce) are pretty terrible. If you are in Chicago now and interested in produce, you can't do better than one of the local farmer's markets (many of which also sell meat, cheese, bread, prepared foods, and have chef demonstrations, among other things). Here is a list of markets in Chicago.; my personal favorite is the Green City Market in Lincoln Park.

I think he was referring to the cafe at Fox & Obel, not the market. I do agree with you about the market's meats and produce, though. I also like their smoked fish.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It has to be mentioned - Fox and Obel's cheese counter is beyond wonderful. Lovely cheeses - albeit a bit expensive. But hey, for good food (esp. good cheese, no no - make that GREAT cheese) I am willing to hand over a lil' more cash than usual.

I used to live in that neighborhood - Streeterville (where the hospital/med center is). I have at Fox and Obel almost daily...bad for my bank account but good for my tummy. Anyhow - there is a wonderful breakfast spot (they are only open till 2 or 3 I think, so you cannot go for dinner), its called Egg something (harbor maybe?) - its located on Ontario street, just west of McClurg Court...if you walk east on Ontario (east from Michigan ave) you will run into it after about 2-3 blocks. Its on the south side of the street (ontario street). nice outside sitting area in inside dining area.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I was indeed referring to Fox and Obel's cafe as a suggestion for casual, moderately priced dining, in response to the OP's original question.

However, I have found that most of the offerings at Fox and Obel are consistently outstanding, including their meats, prepared foods, baked goods, etc.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

I'll chime in with the love for Fox & Obel's cafe, which is on Illinois, btw. Their soup and salad deal is very reasonable and delicious (they've recently changed the house salad to include fingerling potatoes and manchego cheese).

If you head west from work, you'll find Pizano's Pizza on State, between Chestnut and Delaware. Relatives of the Malnati's with the same buttery, cornmeal dusted crust and a tomato sauce that's fresher tasting than the Uno or Due style.

And if you haven't found it already, Bijan is on State and Ontario and open til 4 am (kitchen til 3 am) with a late night menu.

One of my favorite places, Lula Cafe in Logan Square. It's right off the Logan Square blue line stop. I believe they are still doing the 3 course menu on Mondays for $24.

:cool:

A not-too-long cab ride will get you to the blazing-hot Taylor Street restaurant district, located roughly between the University of Illinois at Chicago East and West Campuses (UICC and UIMC, for *really* old Chicago hands) will net you almost anything: good Italian ice on almost any corner, wonderful bistro food at Chez Joel, better than merely decent Italian at Francesca's, the very archetype of the submarine sandwich at Fontano's, astonishingly good food at Yummy Thai (pretty good beef salad, exemplary chicken pad thai, and more), very nice deals at wine bars along the way, and then some. Plenty of goods in the 'hood -- come and enjoy!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I just went to Arturos tacos this weekend and was really happy with them.  The tongue tacos were fantastic.  Perfect after throwing down a few drinks.  I think they are on Milwaukee and Armitage.  1.80/taco.

Arturo's Tacos

2001 N Western Ave @ Armitage

(773) 772-4944

Yes Mil & Arm. Butt the Al Pastor is where it's at.

I would also recomend eating at the bar at Francesca's, Both Forno or the Clark and School location's. Don't miss the Carpacio (SP? thin sliced raw beef.) and the Teramisu.

Editid Fer spelling. Actually to add something.

Toby

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE