• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Orange Paste Recipe

Boodles

First thing that came to mind was to use an orange paste with chocolate, and the other use would be with cheese.

I've struggled to get a recipe anywhere. Made in similar vein to quince paste, I just need a bit of guidance so that i've at least got ingredient ratio fairly correct.

I'm probably going to make it slightly less thick than a paste, but that, i'll see as i make it.

Can you imagine, a little ball of the intense paste coated in some chocolate - Yum.

I'm just assuming that oranges, sugar (glucose?? to stop crystaliaztion) would be all that one would use. Not sure if the product would crystallize at all, so i dont want to add glucose if i dont need to .

I'm thinking that i would possibly need to mince some of the peel as well, maybe half per orange.

So, anyone got a recipe?

I wonder if you could work off a marmalade recipe but use a sweeter orange.....

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I think you can use a marmalade recipe but perhaps add some pectin. Quince paste can be cut with a knife and will keep its shape, so if you want the orange paste to be of that same consistency, soft but able to keep its shape, you might need to add pectin. Probably would not work to just cook the orange marmalade for a longer period of time to thicken it, because it would affect the flavor.

You might consider using a type of orange, like the seville, that has a lot of natural pectin.

Good luck!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I'll try using a orange marmalade recipe, as you guys have suggested. And yeh, i'll add a little bit of pectin, and try to get my hands on seville oranges.

Perhaps a fruit leather approach might be better. Or adding gelatin to a simple syrup made with oj and sugar

I've looked at mamarlade recipies, and the sugar content seems to be way to high. So i'm using a fruit paste kind of base - 500gr orange (of which i will put in the skin/rind and to that i will add 325 sugar.

Will test this week and report back. Would like to also take photos of this stuff covered in chocolate.

try the calcium-reacting variety of pectin (Pomona's Universal) rather than regular; it works better with less pulpy higher-acid juices and produces a sliceable mass with a wider variety of bases.

You might also try adding a base puree such as apple or pear to give it body. Check out the Boiron website for pates de fruit.

I've looked at mamarlade recipies, and the sugar content seems to be way to high. So i'm using a fruit paste kind of base - 500gr orange (of which i will put in the skin/rind and to that i will add 325 sugar.

Will test this week and report back. Would like to also take photos of this stuff covered in chocolate.

Marmalade is usually made with very bitter oranges so I guess thats why so much sugar.....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ok, did some testing today. Used, for those that want to try - 250 fresh orange juice, then 250 gr whole orange. 325 sugar

Chop orange into pieces, and put into pot with the fresh juice and lots of water. Your adding the water to soften the rind of the orange. Simmer for about 1hr or so. Then when skin is soft, add sugar and when dissolved, blend up mixture with hand held blender, then simmer/boil, which ever you want till kinda thick. When it cools, you'll be able to cut into pieces. I dont have a brix measuring thingee, so i cant give an exact measurment here, but the bottom of the pan starts to caramaelize a little.

This worked well as a second tester. Serve with cheese, cover in chocolate, duck, pork, chicken etc.