• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ahhhhhh-happy

dumpling

I eat well, I really do.

And as people of the world go, I should consider myself very fortunate to have had the food experiences that I have had in my life.

I've tried many foods in my life including pig's ears, stomach, bear claw, Qi she(white snake), brains and many more things less exotic, but even more delicious.

I have tremendous affection for my friend Alanz. He thinks that it is because he is witty or perhaps enjoyable to be around. While that may be true, that isn't it.

It's because he gave me one of the singly most satisfying experiences when he slipped me the tongue.

I was reminded of that experience when he asked me yesterday was I in the mood for a little tongue. Who could ever turn that down?

So we went to where he had de-virginized me a few years ago.

Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock(894 Prospect St).

When we went the first time, we ordered sides including kasha varnishke to which I was an immediate convert.

But then he scared me a little by asking if I wanted to try the tongue.

Not really being enamored of the thought, but trusting him, I agreed with some trepidation.

It arrived, a sandwich, the meat heated, half tongue, half pastrami, on rye.

He encouraged me to put on some of the coleslaw from the pickle bar, and some of the Russian dressing.

I took a bite.

I was in love.

It is a love that has endured.

And everytime, now that he says, would I like a little tongue, that first experience comes back to me and I respond eagerly, "Let's Go!"

:wub:

Edited by dumpling (log)

My mother used to cook tongue for dinner. She has always been my kitchen inspiration. They make a good one at Kosher Nosh, indeed. Along with tongue, as a child every spring I ate shad roe, which, of course being a kid, I thought was meat. Then again, I thought tongue was meat. Well, it took me almost 30 years to try them both again, and indeed, two of the greatest tastes around. Maybe I'll slip some customers the tongue one day next week...