• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Pleasure of Cooking" magazine: My Imagination?

CyberDiva

Back when I first purchased my Cuisinart DLC-7 Pro I subscribed to something called the "Cuisinart Cooking Club." I received this great newletter filled with recipes and chatty information about using my new miracle machine. What a great resource! I learned how to adapt recipes, new blades, and all sorts of stuff I didn't even knew I needed to know. I have all of them tucked away in my folders, but would LOVE to find the issues that I don't have -- the very early ones, and the last few after Conair changed the name. When I look for issues on the internet or on ebay, it's like they never existed! I can't find them anywhere to be bought or copied. Am I the only one in the universe that loved these gems? I would love to see a cookbook filled with these recipes! Anyone with more info on where I could find them? Thanks! :cool:

I can't direct you to a trove of Pleasures of Cooking back issues, but I can invite you to the fan club. Back in April 2005, Maggie McArthur sang its praises in her Daily Gullet article "Man, Machine, Magazine":

. . . . .

After setting up Cuiz One for its virgin voyage, I shook the box and out fell a slim spiral-bound cookbook: Recipes for the Cuisinart Food Processor (James Beard and Carl Jerome), along with an invitation to join the Cuisinart Cooking Club. I felt as if I had been invited to join a cozy crowd of early adopters before the term had been adopted. Signing up would get me a subscription to the club newsletter, and a magazine called The Pleasures of Cooking. Assuming that my memory hasn’t been wasted by age and Maker's Mark, I remember that the first couple of issues were free, Little Girl. The heady contents of my first issue hooked me, and I would have considered a life of petty crime in order to feed my The Pleasures of Cooking jones -- if the magazine were available today, I'd turn to drugs, numbers and prostitution.

. . . . .

Read the whole wonderful thing, as well as the lively discussion it whizzed up, here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

What a great retrospective! So now that I know that I am not imagining things, I'll keep on my hunt. Anyone ever try and collect the recipes and tips from the newsletter and put them in a cookbook or web site?

If anyone has the first issues of the Cooking Club newsletters please let me know and I'll pay you for the photocopies!

I can't direct you to a trove of Pleasures of Cooking back issues, but I can invite you to the fan club. Back in April 2005, Maggie McArthur sang its praises in her Daily Gullet article "Man, Machine, Magazine":
. . . . .

After setting up Cuiz One for its virgin voyage, I shook the box and out fell a slim spiral-bound cookbook: Recipes for the Cuisinart Food Processor (James Beard and Carl Jerome), along with an invitation to join the Cuisinart Cooking Club. I felt as if I had been invited to join a cozy crowd of early adopters before the term had been adopted. Signing up would get me a subscription to the club newsletter, and a magazine called The Pleasures of Cooking. Assuming that my memory hasn’t been wasted by age and Maker's Mark, I remember that the first couple of issues were free, Little Girl. The heady contents of my first issue hooked me, and I would have considered a life of petty crime in order to feed my The Pleasures of Cooking jones -- if the magazine were available today, I'd turn to drugs, numbers and prostitution.

. . . . .

Read the whole wonderful thing, as well as the lively discussion it whizzed up, here.

I would watch ebay for the old issues you are looking for--I did a quick check for you and there is a mag called the pleasures of cooking but it doesn't seem to be the one you are looking for.

If you have exact info you can do a more effective search than I could.

Everything turns up on ebay eventually.

I just read the recipe for madelines with mashed potatoes -- and the pictures! Yum!

Checked eBay last night too, there was nothing. I think the secret is out. Last week I stopped by a favorite antique store that I hadn't been to in a while. The place is packed so full of stuff it is hard to walk! Anywhile, while I was killing time waiting for my daughter to look at the room full of old glassware I happened to look at a wall full of old magazines, and on a whim I looked through one of the shelves, and oh my gosh, there was a stack of "The Pleasures of Cooking" stuffed within a bunch of Gourmet Magazines! I bought the 6 issues that he had at $1.50 apiece and sat the weekend pouring over the recipes. I am now lusting for the other issues even more.

What a great retrospective!  So now that I know that I am not imagining things, I'll keep on my hunt.  Anyone ever try and collect the recipes and tips from the newsletter and put them in a cookbook or web site? 

If anyone has the first issues of the Cooking Club newsletters please let me know and I'll pay you for the photocopies! 

. . . . .

. . . . .

I loved Pleasures of Cooking, particularly the last page, which was a recipe contributed by a reader (which one a prize, if they printed it, as I recall). For years and years I made the wonderful stollen recipe that was printed in the back of one of the issues. Alas, I lost all my Pleasures of Cooking in a move. On a side note, during the 1970s I worked for the brother of the man who brought the Cuisinarat to America, Carl Sontheimer.Little Compton Mornings

• 4 months later...

Earlier this year I posted a inquiry about The Cuisinart Cooking Club Newsletter and The Pleasures of Cooking Magazine. Joy! I have been successful on my hunt and have been lucky enough to find several issues. I'm still working to fill in my missing issues (mostly the first two years), but I have been having so much fun reading through the copies as I get them. What an education in cooking and food! What's especially interesting is the profiles of the chefs and their restaurants. So thanks to all on the list to those who encouraged me to go out and find copies. I do have some duplicate copies. Is there some place on eGullet where I can offer these for sale or should I just post them on ebay?

Anyway, if anyone is interested in further information about the contents of the magazine, you can email me and we can exchange emails.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Edited by CyberDiva (log)

• 2 weeks later...

As I fill out my collection of "The Pleasures of Cooking" magazines (the Cuisinart publication), I've noticed an inconsistency in the numbering of the issues. If someone out there was a full set, can you tell me if there was a year with 12 issues? Did the numbering change about 1/2 way through the publication? I would greatly appreciate someone checking and letting me know.

As I fill out my collection of "The Pleasures of Cooking" magazines (the Cuisinart publication), I've noticed an inconsistency in the numbering of the issues.  If someone out there was a full set, can you tell me if there was a year with 12 issues?  Did the numbering change about 1/2 way through the publication? I would greatly appreciate someone checking and letting me know.

After a long time watching eBay, I finally got myself a full set and some answers about the screwy numbering of the issues. The magazine started out as a monthly publication titled "Cooking" and it was a small format (approx. 5 X 8). Issue no. 1 was March 1978, these ran through issue no. 10, Dec. 1978.

The next issue was the first of the large format (8 1/2 X 11), bimonthly format with the "Pleasures of Cooking" title and was numbered Vol. I No. 12 Mar/Ap 1979. The last issue, to my knowledge, was Vol X No. 1 July/Aug 1987.

I *think* this is right :wacko:

Betty

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! A couple of weeks ago a group of about 35 of them came up for auction, including some the rarer volume I and II. When the bidding got over $215, I bailed out - as much as I would have loved to have them, it looked like the other bidder was much more serious about getting them than I was. Now I regret letting them go....maybe some day.

As I fill out my collection of "The Pleasures of Cooking" magazines (the Cuisinart publication), I've noticed an inconsistency in the numbering of the issues.  If someone out there was a full set, can you tell me if there was a year with 12 issues?  Did the numbering change about 1/2 way through the publication? I would greatly appreciate someone checking and letting me know.

After a long time watching eBay, I finally got myself a full set and some answers about the screwy numbering of the issues. The magazine started out as a monthly publication titled "Cooking" and it was a small format (approx. 5 X 8). Issue no. 1 was March 1978, these ran through issue no. 10, Dec. 1978.

The next issue was the first of the large format (8 1/2 X 11), bimonthly format with the "Pleasures of Cooking" title and was numbered Vol. I No. 12 Mar/Ap 1979. The last issue, to my knowledge, was Vol X No. 1 July/Aug 1987.

I *think* this is right :wacko:

Betty

• 4 weeks later...

I found two recipes, one for a 15 second Carrot Cake and the other is a Carrot Pecan Torte. Which one do you want?

Does anyone have the issue of Pleasures of Cooking magazine that has the carrot cake recipe in it? 

Jay

• 3 years later...

I realize I am responding a a very old post, but I've just recently joined the forum, and as a huge fan of The Pleasures of Cooking, it caught my eye.

I do not have any issues from Volume I, and only have issues 1 and 4 from Volume II. I am also missing the first three issues of Volume III. But here is what I've found in my otherwise complete collection of The Pleasures of Cooking:

Volume II, Number 4 had a recipe for Chocolate Carrot Almond Torte with a mocha frosting in an article by Suzanne S. Jones.

Volume VII, Number 2 had a recipe for carrot cake as a part of their "America's Classic Cakes" series. That is the only recipe for carrot cake that I have made from The Pleasures of Cooking, and I can attest to its quality. The article includes recipes for both cream cheese frosting and rum sauce. This is the recipe that is referred to in their index as "15-second Carrot Cake".

Volume VIII, Number 3 had a recipe for Maida Heatter's adaptation of a chocolate carrot cake served at The Four Seasons.

There was also a carrot cake recipe in Volume I, Number 5 (July 1978), but since I don't have that issue, I cannot supply any information about the recipe.

• 2 years later...

I too have several issues of Pleasures of Cooking and am resurrecting some of the recipes that look fabulous. I will be posting some of the better recipes I am finding in some of my old cooking magazines. I also have many old volumes of Gourmet and some Cuisine magazines. I have a food blog called fingerlakesfeasting.com where I will be posting them. I am not a very regular poster but have been doing this for many years already and have some fabulous recipes on my site. Some of the recipes I invented but many are adapted from cookbooks and magazines. Since I cook, bake, and dabble in many ethnic cuisines there is quite a variety of recipe selection. The recipe I am posting from Pleasures of Cooking is from Vol IX No. 6 May/June edition and was originally called Meal-In-A-Muffin. I am renaming it Carrot Apple Muffins. It's a great recipe. Trying to keep up with reading the 6 magazines I subscribe to and also look through my old ones is quite a time consuming effort.