• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Cake

I searched for the thread, but it must be buried within another. I know we have discussed if there is a decent slice in town.

I finally sucumbed to the lure of the cake dome at Geraldine's Counter. It's an old fashioned 3 layer cake, with a chocolate buttercream filling/frosting served with a very yellow vanilla ice cream and a squeeze of chocolate sauce. I think it is devil's food. Not overly sweet. The crumbs break down nicely into the ice cream. This is my best (worst?) find in a long time.

SHIT!!! I wish I had not read this!!!!

sold!

For sheer volume of chocolate cake (all 6 layers' worth), the Claim Jumper Chocolate Motherlode cake will serve 2 people easily, and it's pretty decent cake, too (well, better than the stuff from B. Crocker, anyway). Everything they serve at that restaurant comes in overly generous (one order could serve 2 or 3 people) sizes. Virtually no one leaves that place without a doggie bag.

Miulang

I searched for the thread, but it must be buried within another. I know we have discussed if there is a decent slice in town.

I finally sucumbed to the lure of the cake dome at Geraldine's Counter. It's an old fashioned 3 layer cake, with a chocolate buttercream filling/frosting served with a very yellow vanilla ice cream and a squeeze of chocolate sauce. I think it is devil's food. Not overly sweet. The crumbs break down nicely into the ice cream. This is my best (worst?) find in a long time.

This place better be open on Sunday. Because now I just want to organize my day around chocolate cake.

edit to add: Sunday: 8:00-3:00 brunch! Do you think they serve chocolate cake at brunch?

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters