• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stanley House, Mellor near Blackburn

Just been for my 2nd lunch at Cassis at the Stanley House this time for my God fathers b'day (no I am not a member of the Cosa Nostra).

1st time I went I thought the service was a bit cold, though efficient and the food, though plentiful, and full of pre-starters, amuse bouche et al, just missed the mark somehow on taste. And the rest of my table agreed.

Went back on Thursday 26th and I really, really, really enjoyed it. The service (all French) was warmer and the food just that bit better. The Chorizo and white pepper roll to start with, set the tone, for all the great food that followed (if I could work out how to post photo's on here I would).

If you live in Lancashire, it's well worth £18.95 of your cash for the three courser & trimmings. It's better in my opinion than Heathcote Longridge and in a different quantum level than my pet hate L'enculme (never gonna get my time and money back from that one!).

Most importantly my God Father who has just come out of hospital loved it, especially his pallette of 5 ice creams. (the pallete made of biscuit jaconde and stained like wood, with a mock hole for the thumb).

But I don't suggest going into the bar area, the decor is vomit inducing.

http://www.stanleyhouse.co.uk/cassis.html

i've been to cassis three times and each time it has been wildly different. the first time i was blown away (alc lunch); the second time for sunday lunch was less good probably because the sunday menu can be on the conservative side (basically a gussied up roast); the last time i went for a la carte on a friday night was dismal. it was expensive, and everything was either incredibly sweet or incredibly salty; service was stiff; wine overpriced, water even more so.

i agree the 18.95 lunch is a good deal and the food is interesting enough to make it worth a trip but i can't honestly recommend it at full price. a pity because i had very high hopes at the outset.

I was going to book a family Sunday Lunch in October thinking it was going to be on the same level as the mid-week deal.

Is it anywhere as good as Northcote?

i'd go for northcote over cassis for sure. my last meal at cassis really put me off.

it's partly the wine and water prices that i mentioned. i can't remember the exact details unfortunately, but the constant topping up of £4 (ish) water and the uninspired selection of wines at the lower end of the list made me depressed.

i keep hearing warrick dodds is the biggest talent in lancs so maybe i got him on a bad day.

i loved my last meal at the longridge restaurant mind you! new look and new chef have done wonders IMHO.