• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What should I make for Dessert?

Terrasanct

I'm making stew for dinner and I'd like to finish with a nice sorbet, gelato, or ice cream.  I have half a mango, some peaches, purple huckleberries, rhubarb, raspberries, and lemons.  Any ideas of combinations?

Gosh-you have so many wonderful fruits I would think any of them, on their own, would be delicious.

I might suggest these combinations:

Mango/Peach. I kind of go buy the if the fruit has a 'stone' or 'pit', they tend to go together well in combination. I think it would work well in a gelato or ice cream.

Huckleberries are such a distinct flavor I would use them alone so you don't let other flavors compete with the huckleberry flavor. Best for ice cream.

Rhubarb/Lemon sounds interesting. Rhubarb needs a lot of sugar added to cut down on the tartness, but I think a hint of lemon would add some punch to the rhubarb. I think this combo would work well in either gelato, ice cream or sorbet.

Since raspberries are such delicate berries I think they would be best in a gentle sorbet. If you have some sort of raspberry liquer in the liquor cabinet, put a shot of that in your sorbet.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good suggestions, thanks.  I'm thinking maybe a mango/peach ice cream.  I wonder if that would go well with either raspberry or huckleberry sauce?  I probably can't go too far wrong with either.

The mango peach ice cream sounds good.

I think raspberry might be a good choice for a sauce. You can make a basic raspberry sauce by just processing the berries in a blender with some sugar and maybe a bit of water to thin it out, then strain the sauce into a bowl to remove the little seeds. I'd save your huckleberries to use on their own with no other fruit.

I used the peach ice cream recipe in The Perfect Scoop, adding in the mango and some chopped crystalized ginger. I didn't have quite enough sour cream so I subbed some yogurt, which worked fine. Served with raspberry coulis and some granola for crunch. It was good.

I just got the cookbook, and I'm excited to try more recipes. Oh, I made the ice cream without sugar, and it was plenty sweet.