• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauces for Stir-fries

Toliver

I've been on a stir-fry kick lately. The sauce I've been using varies little and is a hodgepodge of whatever I have on hand. Some soy sauce, some garlic black bean sauce, some Shaoxing wine, a little chicken broth, grated ginger and some corn starch to thicken it all up.

I need to expand my sauce repertoire and am looking for new from-scratch recipes for stir-fry sauces.

Or if you like using a store-bought sauce, what do you recommend?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I would suggest you check out hzrt8w's Chinese food pictorials here. Many of the sauces in these dishes are very basic and can be used for all kinds of stir fries. I have made about a dozen of these dishes and all have been excellent, without exception. The only store bought sauce I like is the garlic black bean, though I prefer making it from scratch.

Ilene

I've been on a stir-fry kick lately. The sauce I've been using varies little and is a hodgepodge of whatever I have on hand. Some soy sauce, some garlic black bean sauce, some Shaoxing wine, a little chicken broth, grated ginger and some corn starch to thicken it all up.

I need to expand my sauce repertoire and am looking for new from-scratch recipes for stir-fry sauces.

Well, the one I use that always gets rave reviews is the following:

1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)

1/4 cup tamari

1/4 cup sherry

2 tbsp cornstarch

1 tsp fresh grated ginger

dash cayenne pepper

mixed together thoroughly and added in last couple of minutes of cooking

it's the maple syrup that makes it, naturally.

sincerely,

Dante

I would suggest you check out hzrt8w's Chinese food pictorials here.

oh, my...utterly gorgeous!

I think I've got some ideas for next week's menu...

Sincerely,

Dante

I notice that you did not mention chiles – do you prefer sauces that are not spicy?

Add XO sauce to your list of stir fry sauces. I also feel that oyster sauce should be a standard in your pantry. These two sauces alone will add dimension to your recipes. Hosin, though considered a bbq sauce, also needs to be in your pantry. Sesame seed oil and chilli oil or sambal olek.

Edited by Fugu (log)

I agree with Fugu, you definitely should have oyster sauce, hoisin and xo sauce.

You should also have fish sauce handy. A dash of that will give your stir fries and soups extra flavor.

Plus various chili sauces will also give your dishes extra flavor.

I agree with Fugu, you definitely should have oyster sauce, hoisin and xo sauce.

You should also have fish sauce handy.  A dash of that will give your stir fries and soups extra flavor.

Plus various chili sauces will also give your dishes extra flavor.

I'd like to add a jar of Brown Bean Sauce to the Oyster, and Hoisin, etal. Not the GROUND version but the one with the pieces of brown/yellow beans in it. My brand of choice is Koon Chun. Just a little of the Brown Bean Sauce with S/F green peppers is great.

Also, I wouldn't be without a jar of Lan Chi Chili Paste with Garlic.

• Like 1

Dante, thanks for the recipe!

Add XO sauce to your list of stir fry sauces. I also feel that oyster sauce should be a standard in your pantry. These two sauces alone will add dimension to your recipes. Hosin, though considered a bbq sauce, also needs to be in your pantry.  Sesame seed oil and chilli oil or sambal olek.

Someone asked if I like spicy, the answer is yes.

I have Hoisin, oyster sauce, garlic black bean, fish sauce and siracha-type sauces.

Do you mix them with anything or are they sufficient by themselves? I've used siracha-type sauces just as a condiment but haven't made a sauce incorporating it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Add XO sauce to your list of stir fry sauces. I also feel that oyster sauce should be a standard in your pantry. These two sauces alone will add dimension to your recipes. Hosin, though considered a bbq sauce, also needs to be in your pantry.  Sesame seed oil and chilli oil or sambal olek.

Someone asked if I like spicy, the answer is yes.

I have Hoisin, oyster sauce, garlic black bean, fish sauce and siracha-type sauces.

Do you mix them with anything or are they sufficient by themselves? I've used siracha-type sauces just as a condiment but haven't made a sauce incorporating it.

Fish sauce would be the only one that I would personally NOT mix with the other soy based sauces. I like fish sauce on stir fried noodles and vegetables, along with lemon juice and cilantro leaves. Instead of salt, use fish sauce for seasoning soups and salads. Experiment.

Hoisin is good with braised whole pork shoulder and then briefly smoke it with maple, grape or apple wood.

Fish sauce will give you a more Southeast Asian flavor. Use it instead of -- not in addition to -- soy. Good balanced with lemon or lime juice, a touch of sriracha, and sugar if you like a sweeter taste. It's also standard in Thai coconut milk-based curries.

I definitely would add a bottle of oyster sauce to your collection. It adds depth to stir-fries (use with or without soy sauce). A mix of oyster sauce, soy sauce, chicken stock, and a dash of sesame oil also makes a great dip for Chinese dumplings.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Non Chinese tip:

When we have grilled steak, my husband always reaches for the

Worcestershire Sauce. Not me. I always use a few drops of oyster sauce. It has just the right flavor and saltiness for grilled beef/steak.

Non Chinese tip:

Worcestershire Sauce. Not me. I always use a few drops of oyster sauce. It has just the right flavor and saltiness for grilled beef/steak.

If your husband likes Worcestershire Sauce, buy him a jar of Branston Pickle. It's sort of a like a relish or best discribed as a chunky Worcestershire Pauce.

I prefer soya sauce, garlic, pepper and basil on grilled steaks.

XO sauce and garlic was good on sauteed pen shells. I am sure it will work on scallops since the sauce is supposed to be made with dried scallops.

Edited by Fugu (log)

My pleasure. If you give it a try, I'd like to know how it goes. :)

Me, personally, I use the above as ingredients, rather than as condiments in and of themselves, with the exception of sriracha, which I use as both.

BTW- last night I made the fish-cakes recipe from the link that was posted earlier on this thread. I did tweak it a bit- made the fish cakes and the sambal from scratch (I'm kind of funny that way). It went wonderfully with some carrots on the side.

Sincerely,

Dante

Non Chinese tip:

If your husband likes Worcestershire Sauce, buy him a jar of Branston Pickle. It's sort of a like a relish or best discribed as a chunky Worcestershire Pauce.

I prefer soya sauce, garlic, pepper and basil on grilled steaks.

XO sauce and garlic was good on sauteed pen shells. I am sure it will work on scallops since the sauce is supposed to be made with dried scallops.

Branston Pickle. Great stuff! I usually serve it on crackers. Actually a slice of cheddar on the cracker with a daub of the pickle on top. I'll give it a try when next I have steak.

• 12 years later...