• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help w/ Brownie Mix add-ins

Kim Shook

I am trying really hard to do some cleaning out of our pantry/freezer/fridge. That should make for some interesting meal :raz: ! Anyway, I have discovered a brownie mix and a can of cherry pie filling and I think these would be kinda good together. If you were to add a can of pie filling to a box of brownie mix, what would you leave out - eggs, oil and/or water???

Ta! Kim

I actually have that recipe:

combine 1 box (21-23oz) brownie mix, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup veg oil, with 1 cup cherry pie filling

pour into greased 9x13 pan

mix remaining pie filling with 2 Tbl hot water and spread over batter

bake 350 for 45 min

SB (tuh dah :raz: )

Amazing!  I can't believe that I asked such a random question and got an answer and so fast!!!

Bless your heart, Steve! 

Kim

Better yet, I've made them! Twice!

Once using regular supermarket cherry pie filling, which was pretty good, and another time using some prepared cherries in a jar my Sister brought from Austria, which could easily have passed for the dessert in any fancy restaurant.

With either, a bit of almond extract is a nice addition. :wink:

Have you made it yet?

i wouldn't mix it together. I'd mix the brownies as the package tells you to. Then I'd mix a little cream cheese with an egg, some vanilla and a little sugar. Then I'd swirl all three of them together and bake.

The cherry pie filling, 2 eggs, half cup of oil, also works wonderfull with cake mix

from the Cake Mix Doctor

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

another possibility would be adding York Peppermint Patties--chopped up--the brrrr-ownies from Baking From My Home, etc--have them added and they are fab--I believe it's 6oz of chopped PPs

I was actually in the process of making these as I asked the question, so I did it the way Steve suggested. They were very tasty, but the cherries turn the brownies very cake-like. I confess that I like extremely chewy brownies; I have been accused of trying to achieve chocolate jerky with my brownies :blush::laugh: ! But they were gobbled up, so everyone must have loved them!

Thanks, everyone for the help!

Kim