• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raleigh--Where Should We Eat?`

Amy Viny

Southern foodies could anyone offer suggestions on dining in Raleigh? I'm looking for some casual places with great food. BBQ is good or how about real southern flavors. Your suggestion are greatly appreciated.

There are a few Southern options in Raleigh. For the old-time "meat & 3" joints, you'd be happy at Big Ed's downtown, the NC Farmers Market Restaurant off of Lake Wheeler Rd., and Pam's Farmhouse on Western Blvd, about 2/3 of a mile outside the Beltline. None of them will knock your socks off, but the biscuits are pretty good. You could also try Finch's, a major dive, on Peace St, almost under Capital Blvd.

For barbecue, the options are few. Clyde Coopers in downtown Raleigh is probably your best current bet, primarily because it's a landmark institution. They don't cook over wood, but they do make some very good pork skins.

For some nouveau Southern food, you may want to try South in North Hills. This is a Noble Food Group restaurant, and although I very much like their other places, South hasn't bowled me over. I need to give it another try.

There are other hole in the wall types of places that offer some glimpses of the South -- The Roast Grill with their hotdogs, for example, but let us know if there are other tastes you're desiring.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Enoteca Vin is great. I also enjoy Duck & Dumpling in downtown Raleigh, which is Asian style food. What part of Raleigh will you be in? If you're more near downtown, Frazier's on Hillsborough Street is good, but parking there makes me crazy. Also in North Hills, Vivace is Italian food, quite good.

I'm a fan of both Frazier's and Porter's (next door to each other and owned by the same people). During the summer at least parking shouldn't be too bad. During the school year since it's across from NCSU it can be a tad annoying to find a spot, but after 7pm (or is it 6pm?) when the southern side of the street becomes open to park on it's easier to find a spot (though still a bit annoying).

For some nouveau Southern food, you may want to try South in North Hills.  This is a Noble Food Group restaurant, and although I very much like their other places, South hasn't bowled me over.  I need to give it another try.

Just a nitpickin correction: South is part of the Urban Food Group which also includes Frazier's, Porter's and Vivace and is owned by Kevin and Stacy Jennings. The Noble Food Group is owned/co-owned by Charlie Deal and I don't think any of their restaurants are in Raleigh....correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by foodiehall (log)

CBHall

I'm a fan of both Frazier's and Porter's (next door to each other and owned by the same people).  During the summer at least parking shouldn't be too bad.  During the school year since it's across from NCSU it can be a tad annoying to find a spot, but after 7pm (or is it 6pm?) when the southern side of the street becomes open to park on it's easier to find a spot (though still a bit annoying).

I'll give shout-outs for Frazier's and Porter's....a louder one for Frazier's. As to parking, you might get lucky and find a space on Hillsborough Street in front of the restaurants. However, we can usually snag a place off Hillsborough on Chamberlain Street with no difficulty.

CBHall

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Varmint! Any other must try places--either higher end or a different style?

Sorry I didn't suggest this sooner (maybe because it's not "southern"): Fins in downtown Raleigh, 110 East Davie Street, on the corner street level of a Progress Energy Building. Restaurant moved to this location several months ago and I think the the food there is better than ever. They don't have a website; I've copied this from Open Table (because I'm too dumb to figure out how to do links):

# Fins writes...

Open the door to Fins new restaurant in downtown Raleigh and WOW! The expansive bar has plenty of table seating for the early and late bar menu patrons. The open dining room, divided somewhat, has an intimate feeling and is surrounded by inviting booths. The 'robatayaki style' bar is an ideal vantage point for viewing the chefs as they work. Chef William D'Auvray has done it again and does not disappoint his many fans. As always, fish and seafood are a specialty but what he does with meat is unsurpassed. The variety in appetizers and entrees span the globe, using only the freshest harvest available.

# Dining Style: Casual Elegant

# Cuisine: Seafood

# Neighborhood: Raleigh

# Cross Street: Wilmington

# Price: $30 and under

# Phone: (919) 834-6963

# Hours of Operation:

Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm

CBHall

Thanks Varmint! Any other must try places--either higher end or a different style?

Sorry I didn't suggest this sooner (maybe because it's not "southern"): Fins in downtown Raleigh, 110 East Davie Street, on the corner street level of a Progress Energy Building. Restaurant moved to this location several months ago and I think the the food there is better than ever. They don't have a website; I've copied this from Open Table (because I'm too dumb to figure out how to do links):

# Fins writes...

Open the door to Fins new restaurant in downtown Raleigh and WOW! The expansive bar has plenty of table seating for the early and late bar menu patrons. The open dining room, divided somewhat, has an intimate feeling and is surrounded by inviting booths. The 'robatayaki style' bar is an ideal vantage point for viewing the chefs as they work. Chef William D'Auvray has done it again and does not disappoint his many fans. As always, fish and seafood are a specialty but what he does with meat is unsurpassed. The variety in appetizers and entrees span the globe, using only the freshest harvest available.

# Dining Style: Casual Elegant

# Cuisine: Seafood

# Neighborhood: Raleigh

# Cross Street: Wilmington

# Price: $30 and under

# Phone: (919) 834-6963

# Hours of Operation:

Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm

Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm

Fins actually has a quasi-website: http://www.myspace.com/finsrestaurant. Yeah, it's a myspace account, but it's legitimate.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites