• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic Chili Chicken

dawnie2u

I have moved to a small town in NW Missouri from San Diego. I have finally figured out that if I want good Chinese food, I am going to have to make it myself.

What I am really craving, is this dish I used to get at a take-out in El Cajon called Kip's Cafe, not exactly foodie heaven, but this chicken, I loved. I have never seen it at any other Chinese restaurant.

This is what I think it is. It is like General Tao's Chicken, but without the sauce. It is boneless chunks of chicken thighs, deep-fried, and then (I have only bought it as take out), so imagine a Chinese take-out box, full of fried chicken thigh chunks, covered with a salty mixture of chopped garlic, red chile peppers and green onions, no sauce. I am going to try and make this tonight, but if anyone can help me with this, I would soooo appreciate it. Thanks! Dawn

"Reminds me of my of safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water." W C Fields

I have moved to a small town in NW Missouri from San Diego.  I have finally figured out that if I want good Chinese food, I am going to have to make it myself. 

What I am really craving, is this dish I used to get at a take-out in El Cajon called Kip's Cafe, not exactly foodie heaven, but this chicken, I loved.  I have never seen it at any other Chinese restaurant.

This is what I think it is.  It is like General Tao's Chicken, but without the sauce.  It is boneless chunks of chicken thighs, deep-fried, and then (I have only bought it as take out), so imagine a Chinese take-out box, full of fried chicken thigh chunks, covered with a salty mixture of chopped garlic, red chile peppers and green onions, no sauce.  I am going to try and make this tonight, but if anyone can help me with this, I would soooo appreciate it.  Thanks!  Dawn

I have had that dish but have never created it, so this is not a recipe. However, if you use a light batter (e.g., tempura) the chicken should come out well, making sure the oil is up to heat always. I know you said it had no sauce, but the one I'm thinking of does have a sauce but it is clear, except for the onions, garlic and chiles. I would make a simple syrup adding vinegar (taste-test). When that is right, and add the diced garlic and onions and heat them up. For the chiles use whole dried chiles japones, heat it with the sauce a little bit and put the sauce on the hot thighs and fold to cover. The ratio of chopped veggies and whole chiles to the sauce should be large and the small amount of liquid won't soften the finished product.

Let us know!

John S.

It is like General Tao's Chicken, but without the sauce.

Just a coincidence, but I just ran across the rather odd history of General Tao's Chicken while posting a reply on another eGullet Topic! :cool:

General Tso's Chicken - Fried boneless dark-meat chicken, served with vegetables and whole dried red peppers in a sweet-spicy sauce. It's not authentically Chinese, but it's nevertheless one of the most popular dishes at Chinese restaurants. Alternate spellings include General Cho, General Zo, General Zhou, General Jo, and General Tzo. It is pronounced "Djo," with the tongue hard against teeth.

This dish is thought to have been the invention of Taiwanese immigrants to the United States in the 1970s and was named after General Zou Zong-Tang (1812-1885), a general of the Qing (Manchu) Dynasty of China. He was responsible for suppressing Muslim uprisings. His name was used to frighten Muslim children for centuries after his death.

The "...for centuries after his death" part seems a bit exaggerated, since the General has only been dead for 1.27 Centuries.

SB (it's probably considered a non-PC dish these days) :rolleyes:

I have moved to a small town in NW Missouri from San Diego.  I have finally figured out that if I want good Chinese food, I am going to have to make it myself. 

What I am really craving, is this dish I used to get at a take-out in El Cajon called Kip's Cafe, not exactly foodie heaven, but this chicken, I loved.  I have never seen it at any other Chinese restaurant.

This is what I think it is.  It is like General Tao's Chicken, but without the sauce.  It is boneless chunks of chicken thighs, deep-fried, and then (I have only bought it as take out), so imagine a Chinese take-out box, full of fried chicken thigh chunks, covered with a salty mixture of chopped garlic, red chile peppers and green onions, no sauce.  I am going to try and make this tonight, but if anyone can help me with this, I would soooo appreciate it.  Thanks!  Dawn

not sure what you need help with, but it sounds like you pretty much have it down: a similar technique to making salt-baked shrimp. deep fry the chunks of thigh until cooked. then stir-fry salt, garlic, chopped chili and green onion in the wok--dry, no oil--and when it starts to smell good, put the chicken back in and cook till it's all heated through.

that sounds good as a matter of fact. maybe i'll make it tonight too.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)