• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Premium Japanese beef

Hello everyone,

I just came back from Japan and I miss the succulent variety and delicacy of Japanese beef.

Does anyone know where Kobe beef, blackhair beef, or any other kind of Japanese top-notch beef can be purchased in Toronto?

Thank you!

Edited by Vertciel (log)

Hello everyone,

I just came back from Japan and I miss the succulent variety and delicacy of Japanese beef.

Does anyone know where Kobe beef, blackhair beef, or any other kind of Japanese top-notch beef can be purchased in Toronto?

Thank you!

Was wondering the same thing in another thread. I am sure you are looking stuff like this.

gallery_9007_4859_127029.jpg

This was from Takayama. I know of one place that sells Wagyu beef (I understand the cattle are raised in Alberta) but no one that sells real imported Wagyu or other species of Japanese cattle. The latter is also what I am looking for.

officially left egullet....

Last time I spoke to Sho Ozawa (a couple of months back) he hadn't had any for a long time and was having difficulty sourcing it from Japan.

Also heard this week that a steak restaurant in TO had just had an order fall through.

Thuet Atelier "claims" to have it but "temporarily out of stock".

Butcher Shoppe had the US version (from Colorado) a week ago, but call it Kobe beef (which it isn't).

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I spoke to Sho Ozawa (a couple of months back) he hadn't had any for a long time and was having difficulty sourcing it from Japan.

Also heard this week that a steak restaurant in TO had just had an order fall through.

Butcher Shoppe had the US version (from Colorado) a week ago, but call it Kobe beef (which it isn't).

Thank you to everyone who replied! I'll shop around.

Steve @ Cumbrae is raising his own Wagyu now. Its nothing like the real deal, but it is Wagyu (mostly Wagyu/Angus cross, as is the stuff from the US).

• 2 weeks later...
Walked by Pusateri's on Yorkville yesterday; there is a sign in the window offering Wagyu beef at $200/lb.

At that price, I'll never taste it. Must be great.

Nor will I :blink:

Does anyone know of more reasonable price per pound offerings?

There are nicely marbled strip loins at Cumbrae's for $24/lb., looking almost as good.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I know it's not really Kobe, but the Cumbrae wagyu was delicious. Great flavour, texture and richness.

I read a review of this a while back and it noted that what Cumbrae sells may not all 100% wagyu though. Was the type you tried cross bread with any Angus or 100% wagyu? I would be willing to give it a shot at the price, just as long as there is not any Angus mixed in. As you can see from my photo the Hida beef is almost $20 bucks a 100 grams or almost $90 bucks a pound...and that is IN Japan.

officially left egullet....

I would like to try Cumbrae's Wagyu, though I'm sure it costs more than their regular beef. I have heard that Wagyu benefits from an Angus cross, because purebred Wagyu cows are not :huh: very attentive mothers :unsure:

ed. to add, Wikipedia states that the Angus cross makes the animal suitable for outdoor feedlot ranching, which is not done in Japan.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this in my email from Bistro Bakery Thuet:

"Chef Thuet has also procured the restrictedly exclusive Wagyu beef from Japan. This delicacy is offered, for the first time in Toronto, at Bistro Bakery Thuet.

The Japanese Wagyu has found a perfect home in the kitchen of Chef Thuet. It is offered as a meaty counterpart to our Ahi tuna tartare as well as a Striploin grilled to rare served with truffled mashed potato.

Wagyu beef is also available at Atelier Thuet in our retail department for $180.00 per lb."

Happy eating! :smile:

• 4 months later...