• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Georgetown

A friend of mine wants to go to a store in Georgetown and we want to get lunch down there. What is the opinion on Muy Macho, Calamity Jane's, or Smarty Pants (or is there someplace better).

We will be dressed extremely casual.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

A friend of mine wants to go to a store in Georgetown and we want to get lunch down there.  What is the opinion on Muy Macho, Calamity Jane's, or Smarty Pants (or is there someplace better).

We will be dressed extremely casual.

If there is anyplace to eat in Georgetown where extremely casual dress would be out of place, I haven't found it yet! Once or twice, in various neighborhood places, my husband and I did feel a little like we weren't wearing enough black clothing or piercings to really fit in, but nobody seemed to mind, and it hasn't stopped us from going back!

Smarty Pants does darn good sandwiches. The other place we like is Stellar Pizza, just a bit north of them on Airport Way. Both are homey and casual and friendly little places.

I hear great things about Kurry King, just across the parking lot from Stellar Pizza, but they're open such weird hours (they close really early and I seem to remember they aren't open weekends) I've never made it there. I also keep hearing raves about Muy Macho, but I haven't been there yet, either. Haven't heard as much about Calamity Jane's.

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

All the places mentioned are good, just depends what you're interested in eating. I also like Two Tartes Bakery (they serve lunch as well as pastries), Daimonji for Japanese food. I haven't been yet, but the Georgetown Liquor Company is supposed to have very good vegetarian food.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Pig Iron BBQ is pretty good.

I just heard Marco Polo (tavern on 4th) has good food.

There is an Alki Bakery.

Calamity Jane's has a good sounding menu.

Muy Macho is a bit of a drive - enjoyed the tacos - 3 may be enough - don't get fooled by the 5 taco platter - each is $1.00 no matter how many you order. I liked the Pollo best, much to my surprise.

I just noticed a Thai restaurant in a stand alone building on 6th just South of Lucille.

By's Drive In has my attention.

As does Kauai Family on 6th S.

Is Planet Georgetown still there?

How about The Hangar Cafe?

(Who has noticed that I moved and changed jobs in the past year?)

By's Drive In has my attention.

As does Kauai Family on 6th S.

(Who has noticed that I moved and changed jobs in the past year?)

Both are worth checking out. I love Kauai Family Restaurant. All of my Hawaii ex-pat friends order cakes and leis from there for every special occasion. Me - I love the smoked pork plate. Yummmmmm.

I wondered about the prevelance of Georgetown posts! Congratulations!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I haven't been to By' since sometime in the 80s and I'd love to go, but my friend, who is driving, would never get a hamburger he'd pay less than $7 for.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 1 month later...

Georgetown Truck Stop.

A young couple runs the place - standard fare but with a twist. Impressive sandwiches, salads, pastry (made there!) Lots of tables on the lawn with a view of the sugar sign. Good coffee. Lots of tlc - the side of fruit made me think of Raison d'Etre, though not quite. Still/ Inexpensive, filling and very tasty.

Calamity Jane's

Great place to go with a dozen friends on a Friday night. Food and drink flowed for 2 hours and the total bill was $200. Really good food - lots of variety, interesting drinks, great service, and 'tude.

Two Tartes - lunch deals are great, and the everything cookies are all you can ask for.

Maruta Grocery

Thank heavens for high quality $6.00 sushi plates to go!

There is a new vegan place, Squid Ink (?) How is it possible that so many vegan friendly places ended up in this area? Haven't tried it or GLC.

Edited by tsquare (log)

I saw this recently in another forum. Anybody been?

I found an AWESOME sandwich place in a random neighborhood.  The joint is called Cemitas Poblanas. They are located at 805 South 112th Street in Seattle. It is in the same parking lot as a Chevron gas station and a teriyaki place.

They serve amazing sandwiches from Puebla, Mexico. Fresh, yeasty rolls with huge slices of avocado, cojita cheese, grilled chicken, and a bunch of other goodies. One sandwich could easily be lunch for 2.

I also saw a lot of people eating their shrimp cocktail and tacos. Will have to give them a shot next time!

I saw this recently in another forum.  Anybody been?
I found an AWESOME sandwich place in a random neighborhood.  The joint is called Cemitas Poblanas. They are located at 805 South 112th Street in Seattle. It is in the same parking lot as a Chevron gas station and a teriyaki place.

They serve amazing sandwiches from Puebla, Mexico. Fresh, yeasty rolls with huge slices of avocado, cojita cheese, grilled chicken, and a bunch of other goodies. One sandwich could easily be lunch for 2.

I also saw a lot of people eating their shrimp cocktail and tacos. Will have to give them a shot next time!

Cemitas Poblanas is really close to my house. I've been a couple time and I think their sandwiches are very good, not sure they rise to AWESOME for me however. Buxx Teriyaki next door is some of the best I've had, FWIW.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 6 months later...

Marco Polo is pretty good - and Friday evenings the place is jumping.

Hanger Cafe serves crepes and sandwiches - the wait can be long as the kitchen is small and the room a little too big for them. They may say last call on the crepes too if they choose to.

Daimonji is pretty good - a little pricey for lunch, but lots of food in those bento boxes.

Two Tartes changed hands and quickly regained their momentum (at least I think the current owners are the last buyers!)

By's is what it is - not my taste, unless I was in need of fries and a shake.

Same with Kauai - the pork was good, but rice and mac? I still don't get the whole plate lunch thing (though potato pizza is fine by me.)

Espresso by Design is fairly boring, but the coffee is decent and sometimes a tuna sandwich hits the spot. They also have mexican chicken bake and some other hot dish. The mex had good flavor and was good comfort food.

I need to try the chili verde at Slim's Last Chance (next to Pig Iron BBQ.) Late luch? They open at 2.

edit to add: Georgetown Truck Stop has increased their indoor seating 50%, that's 6 seats now. They also feature cinnapigs for breakfast - huge cinnamon rolls with a couple of bacon strips baked in. They just about fly out the door.

Edited by tsquare (log)

edit to add: Georgetown Truck Stop has increased their indoor seating 50%, that's 6 seats now. They also feature cinnapigs for breakfast - huge cinnamon rolls with a couple of bacon strips baked in. They just about fly out the door.

oh good god. that is ON my short list.

Born Free, Now Expensive