• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congrats to Moore Brothers

Jeff L

Zagat's 2008 NYC gourmet shopping and entertainment guide gives Moore Brothers NY store top honors in the categories of "Best Wine Shop, "Best Service (in all categories) and "Best Buys". Finally, they tied two other non-wine shops as one of the three stores that provide the "Best overall shopping experience in New York"

I've always enjoed shopping in the Pennsauken shop and continue to be amazed at the sheer level of knowledge their staff has and the amount of time they are willing to spend with each customer.

High praise indeed in New York City. It seems there is a wine shop on every corner.

Zagat's 2008 NYC gourmet shopping and entertainment guide gives Moore Brothers NY store top honors in the categories of "Best Wine Shop, "Best Service (in all categories) and "Best Buys". Finally, they tied two other non-wine shops as one of the three stores that provide the "Best overall shopping experience in New York"

I've always enjoed shopping in the Pennsauken shop and continue to be amazed at the sheer level of knowledge their staff has and the amount of time they are willing to spend with each customer.

High praise indeed in New York City. It seems there is a wine shop on every corner.

Anyone know if the other stores (NJ and DE) have been reviewed or rated by Zagat's in the past?

Great news. I took my son, who had just turned 21 days earlier, to the Pennsauken store this month, and he was blown away by the expertise and service of the staff. (Thought I'd start him off properly now that he's old enough to buy wine himself.) When we came home he searched on Craig's List and found a 14-bottle wine cooler for sale, left immediately to pick it up, and when he returned we went through my husband's and my cooler to pick out some wines he could try for himself.

Moore Brothers is easily the best place to buy wine. Who out there has gotten ANY informative response from a state store employee when inquiring about the characteristics of a specific wine they are selling?

Thanks for the heads up.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

"Anyone know if the other stores (NJ and DE) have been reviewed or rated by Zagat's in the past? "

not zagats, but food and wine picked moore brothers delaware as best new wine shop in the country when they first opened.

Moore Brothers is easily the best place to buy wine. Who out there has gotten ANY informative response from a state store employee when inquiring about the characteristics of a specific wine they are selling?

Eileen

Hi Eileen:

At least in the Main Line, both the Bryn Mawr and Ardmore PCLB stores have knowledgeable individuals who will spend the time and help make selections. They can quote the usual advert on the wine, but also add their personal recommendations, based on tastings. This is true for wines in the Premium area and for Chairman's Selections.

I've found it best to come in during the week, since weekends they are busiest and thus have the least time.

The City Line Superstore, Narberth and King of Prussia have NOT been impressive when it comes to personal guidance.

Clearly, Moore Bros. has a far bigger selection and also far more experience -- there's nothing like it!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

In NYC, Moore Brothers selection can sometimes seem a little less inclusive than some of the other major players in the retail wine catergory (Sherry-Lehman, Acker-Merril, Morells, 57th St., et.al.); however, their customer service, knowledgeable staff, and the overall comfort level of their shop make it shine in ways that many of the others have a hard time attaining. And if either of the brothers is "in the house," you'll really be treated to some great wine insight!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

At least in the Main Line, both the Bryn Mawr and Ardmore PCLB stores have knowledgeable individuals who will spend the time and help make selections. They can quote the usual advert on the wine, but also add their personal recommendations, based on tastings. This is true for wines in the Premium area and for Chairman's Selections.

I'll add the Newtown specialty shop too. As I am in there way too often, I've come to know some of the staff and they are indeed knowledgeable and quick to offer an opinion but not to the extent as those at Moore Brothers of course.