• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DEMO: Making Chocolate Transfer Sheets

Kerry Beal

3 hours ago, keychris said:

whoops!

Is that unit anything like a Gocco unit?

Don't know much about the older Gocco's - the new ones are a very, very different thing. The YUDU is basically a light source and a fan - along with a plastic framework that is supposed to hold things in place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got half a dozen new screens stretched last week - had them made in 230 mesh (previous mesh was 83 so much coarser). I had always thought that because coloured cocoa butter is viscous that coarse mesh would be better. I think I was wrong.

Tonight I printed with rather warm cocoa butter (rather than the texture of sour cream as I've had to do in the past), loaded the screen as you would with ink, then a second pass with pressure to print.

IMG_4295.jpg.11ded7afcbe92589493f30f94054ac09.jpg

I think the image on this one needs reworking - each little house needs it's lines intensified so they mask the light sufficiently so they make a complete image on the screen after the unexposed emulsion is washed away. The key's could probably use a little work as well. They kinda look like cupcakes.

IMG_4297.jpg.978e86e73539ce2e7c88f8a7c9acbc63.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Chocolot said:

Getting ready for Vegas?

I'd need a rather small screen to bring along. Can you get your son to make us a single colour logo design?

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd need a rather small screen to bring along. Can you get your son to make us a single colour logo design?

For the workshop?

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yeah - what do you think?

I'll ask, but he charges like $2000 for logo's:). Probably isn't going to happen.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

55 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

I'll ask, but he charges like $2000 for logo's:). Probably isn't going to happen.

Probably not in the budget! 

Anyone else out there with a penchant for drawing?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2007 at 2:27 AM, stscam said:

Kerry,

Great demo. I've tried both screens and rubber stamps to make transfers. The problem I had with the screen was getting the cocoa butter to the right temp and keeping it at that temp long enough to do the whole sheet. There are commercial screen presses that have heaters built in which keep the "ink" at a consistent temperature, but they cost $5,000-10,000 or more.

Rubber stamping is also hard to get consistently right. Too much pressure and you get mush. Too little and you get such a thin transfer that it won't read well on the chocolate. We started using self-inking stampers (with custom stamps). We paint the cocoa butter onto the ink pad, then stamp onto acetate. We can get 3-4 transfers before we need to re-ink.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

I guess Steve isn't visiting the forum anymore. Has anyone else tried printing using Rubber Stamp or Self Inking Stampers? This seems to be the simplest of all the processes so want to try this first :D 

6 hours ago, prashamk said:

I guess Steve isn't visiting the forum anymore. Has anyone else tried printing using Rubber Stamp or Self Inking Stampers? This seems to be the simplest of all the processes so want to try this first :D 

Used the rubber stamps - with limited success. Have not tried the Self-inking.

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Used the rubber stamps - with limited success. Have not tried the Self-inking.

How did you use it? Did you made something like a pad and poured the coloured cocoa butter in it or you just dipped the stamp in some vessel that contained coloured cocoa butter?

6 hours ago, prashamk said:

How did you use it? Did you made something like a pad and poured the coloured cocoa butter in it or you just dipped the stamp in some vessel that contained coloured cocoa butter?

I don’t recall - you’ll need to do your own tests.

• Like 1

Are there any edible colour spray cans available which can be used on finish set (cold) chocolates? I believe it would be easiest to make a stencil and then just spray on it keeping it on top of the chocolate. 

Also is there any edible gum like stuff that can be applied on finish set (cold) chocolates? I saw a video where someone applied some transparent gum like substance on the chocolate using a stencil and then poured some glitter powder over the chocolate. The powder that came in contact with glue stayed there while rest of the powder was collected back in another container. 

There are some here - they give a velvet effect on the surface. I much prefer the effect of spraying the mold first.

I've done the stencil thing - but on the boxes not on the chocolate. You apply ink to the box, sprinkle the embossing powder on it - then hit with a heat gun to get the embossing powder to meld together.

These products look interesting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prashamk said:

While what we are talking here is pretty basic, I just came across a website which claims to supply personalized chocolates with photo print on them!!! How is that done?

Here. There are threads on eG about printers for this - do a search to find it. Most people are not having a lot of success with them. 

• Like 1

Going to Ahmedabad this weekend where there is a store that can give me custom print with coloured cocoa butter. The owner asked for $3 for an A4 sized print. She said the paper itself costs $2.5 which is slightly unbelieveable. What kind of paper is used to print ? If possible I'd get it from somewhere else and just get it printed from her. 

If you can get custom sheets for $3 - regardless of the cost of the acetate - I would suggest you buy them. Expecting someone to print sheets for you for 50 cents each so you can save a few pennies on the acetate (if indeed you can) seems counterproductive to me. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1