• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this the end of the glass wine bottle?

Don Giovanni

If it would lower shipping (definitely, being lighter) materials (probably true once mass produced) and damaged-goods costs, why not?

I realize PET plastic is still oxygen permeable in the long term, but enough so that it would have a noticable effect on wine meant to be drunk right away?

Nope. In some places, you can take your own plastic jug to be filled with 'table wine' at the vintners. Is this so different? (If they pick the plastic carefully. Some do impart taste. Ziplock bags come to mind).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

It's about time. Glass is heavy, obsolete and only still around due to an affected sense of snobbishness. Look at how long it's taking for screwtops to become accepted, another technology with similarly obvious benefits.

PS: I am a guy.

It's about time. Glass is heavy, obsolete and only still around due to an affected sense of snobbishness. Look at how long it's taking for screwtops to become accepted, another technology with similarly obvious benefits.

Shalmanese, Hi....

Let me disagree about snobbishness. I'll be the last to deny that there are snobs (of the wine and culinary varieties) and they are to be scorned. On the other hand, not everything to do with change stems from snobbery. Nor does resistance to "the new" (which is not always "the better") indicate that one is a Luddite. Aesthetics, tradition and quality are important to many. Snobbery does not have to enter into the forumla.

After reading the above link and related articles, (cool site, by the way), I've decided tomorrow to order a few stainless steel water bottles- and never ever to buy wine in any type of plastic.

I agree that it would be cheaper and lighter to ship wine in plastic versus glass, but that's another reason to buy wines, as well as other items as close to home as possible.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

the PET bottle is perfect for summer festivals, picnics and barbecues.

And glass isn't? :rolleyes::raz:

No one should panic-this is aimed @ the bottom of the market after all.

I wouldn't define Wolf Blass at $15 as bottom of the market.

I fail to see why plastic bottles would be a problem.

I have had some damn good wine that came in a box. :unsure:

Yes well you also have a weapon in your avatar. :rolleyes:

Um no, that is a cartridge.

These are weapons.

Try and keep up. :rolleyes:

to each their own :raz::rolleyes::wink:

In the jurisdiction where I live cartridges are legally considered to be weapons.

Glass wine bottles are not considered to be weapons and in fact are essential for civilised dining and discourse. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know where you live, but if you ever make it to Atlanta Ga, you bring the wine, and I will make the BBQ. :wink::biggrin:

Chicks dig wheelguns.