• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese filled sesame cookie

kartoffel

A colleague just returned from a trip from China and put out some cookies she had bought there. One kind came in a cylindrical container, with about a dozen flat, filled cookies coated in sesame seeds. About 4 inches in diameter, the cookies are made with some kind of wheat flour and filled with a filling I can't identify. It looks like dried fruit paste (?), with the occasional bit of pine nut, and has a decidedly smokey flavor. It is slightly sweet. Could it be a longan-based filling? Another colleague from Japan swears it must contain bonito or some other fish product. Does anyone recognize this item? (I'm sorry I don't have a picture.)

Thanks!

Kartoffel

A Food-Obsessed Linguist

A colleague just returned from a trip from China and put out some cookies she had bought there.  One kind came in a cylindrical container, with about a dozen flat, filled cookies coated in sesame seeds.  About 4 inches in diameter, the cookies are made with  some kind of wheat flour and filled with a filling I can't identify.  It looks like dried fruit paste (?), with the occasional bit of pine nut, and has a decidedly smokey flavor.  It is slightly sweet.  Could it be a longan-based filling?  Another colleague from Japan swears it must contain bonito or some other fish product.  Does anyone recognize this item?  (I'm sorry I don't have a picture.)

Thanks!

As in your thread title. Its filled with Chinese. A bit gruesome, but some Asian food habits are. :biggrin:

Joke

kartoffel, did the cookies look anything like these?

gallery_11814_2555_56771.jpg

It is such a coincidence that I had to gasp out loud at your post. A friend brought me some of these deliciously addictive cookies, but I cannot figure out what the filling is either.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

It is such a coincidence that I had to gasp out loud at your post.  A friend brought me some of these deliciously addictive cookies, but I cannot figure out what the filling is either.

The one I had looked somewhat like this, but yours look like they're sandwiches: two unfilled cookies put together with filling. Is that right? Mine was one cookie, with filling inside stretching almost to the edges. Do you have a picture of the inside of yours? Does it taste smoky?? Such a funny coincidence!

Kartoffel

A Food-Obsessed Linguist

It is such a coincidence that I had to gasp out loud at your post.  A friend brought me some of these deliciously addictive cookies, but I cannot figure out what the filling is either.

You're back!!! Yetty, we missed you!!! Hope to see you around a lot more on eGullet! :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Mystery solved! A Chinese friend of mine says that it's jujube, also called the Chinese date:

Jujube

She also says that she makes a sweet soup out of jujube and red beans--I'll have to get the recipe.

Thanks for your responses!

Kartoffel

A Food-Obsessed Linguist