• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Tomato Varieties

Depending on where you live I'd suggest rabbits or deer. In the latter case it's going to take more than a BB gun ;) I don't know that raccoon or possum graze that much. Tomato Hornworms will also eat small plants down to a stem, and blend RIGHT in with greenery so they're easy to miss (I'm nursing 2 planters of pepper plant stems thanks to a meager PAIR of these voracious critters)

Edited by Malkavian (log)

I have no idea what it was, no footprints.  It even ate my marigolds!  I thought everything hated Marigolds.  There are all sorts of critters around here, but what would Dare come up on the deck?  Not eating my Beefsteak............That's what realy ticked me off!  Like viva said, it had Better eat what it steals!  I guess it's farmers market again for me this year.  *sigh*

Are you around running water? It almost sounds "beaverish" to me, taking the whole plant and leaving a nub in the pot. I would think deer would trash the patio and knock a lot of things over. Raccoons? They are big nocturnal feeders. They might have gotten spooked by something when they were in the process of stealing that last beefsteak plant.

I am so sorry. I am a believer in letting the wildlife take their share, and going as organic as possible for pest control, but I cross the line when they start taking their share and mine too! Maybe you could get the dog (if you have one) to sleep with the plants in the future?

I hate it when the birds find the fruit, and take one peck out of every one :angry:. I've heard it said that most of them don't particularly care for tomatoes, but are after the water they contain. You certainly have a herbivore there, it sounds like.

I am growing Black Cherry because it supposedly has the flavor that the larger blacks all have, which to me is smoky and rich.

It doesn't, at least here for me. (YMMV) It is just sweet, with no acid.

Hmm, well I already have to plant started, so I will see what I get. I try to keep the number of cherries in the garden down, as I am convinced they intend to take over the world. The neighborhoods kids will probably like them, though.

How will you know when that Black Sea Man is ripe? Touch? Smell?

That's one wild looking beast!

Touch. It's like the green when ripes (I quit growing those about three years ago, I may need to revisit). At least that's what I go by when the tom doesn't give you much visual - that, and a ripe tomato will fall into your hand with a little bit of very gentle encouragement.

It is freaky looking, huh? I've tasted it when other's have grown, and can't wait to spring it on hubby. It is much nicer than it appears! I think it would make some neat looking salsa for Halloween as well...

Ooooh - I just clicked on the Black Sea Man link. Freaky!! Can't wait to hear how it tastes.

I'll post pics later this week of The Black Krim and the other ones I sampled this week. I like the black tomatoes - I think I'll continue to seek them out, despite their inherent ugliness.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Ooooh - I just clicked on the Black Sea Man link.  Freaky!!  Can't wait to hear how it tastes.

I'll post pics later this week of The Black Krim and the other ones I sampled this week.  I like the black tomatoes - I think I'll continue to seek them out, despite their inherent ugliness.

I'll snap a shot when I get a good one. Right now those toms are in the "they're NEVER going to be ripe" phase, dead green, still swelling. Sometimes the first fruits aren't very representative of what you get later.

I like the blacks/purples as well. I think the striking appearance (ugggly) is part of their charm - and they almost always have a better flavor to my taste. Everyone should try at least one black or purple.

Annecros, I am impatiently waiting..................Please let us know all about it, the taste, texture, euphoria level, etc. For all of us who have never tasted one of those beauties and dream of it. *sigh*

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I guess I could plant on a windowsill, but I'm not willing to risk my brown thumb on the outcome. Besides, a co-worker brings in tomatoes from her South Jersey garden every week, so why should I do the heavy lifting when she does it for me? I should ask her what varieties she grows.

Some of the varietal names are very intriguing, I must admit.

For instance, what's the origin of the "Kellogg's Breakfast" tomato? I thought that was corn flakes! (What cereal would you top with tomatoes anyway?)

And how did it come to be called the "MortgageLifter"?

The "Heinz" I understand. That company came up with its own tomato breeds to guarantee a consistent quality supply for its ketchup. But I do wonder what a raw Heinz tomato tastes like.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

MortgageLifter was probably an advertisement of expected high yields.

Hasnt been my experience with the poor thing, but the fruit was tasty.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I guess I could plant on a windowsill, but I'm not willing to risk my brown thumb on the outcome.  Besides, a co-worker brings in tomatoes from her South Jersey garden every week, so why should I do the heavy lifting when she does it for me?  I should ask her what varieties she grows.

Some of the varietal names are very intriguing, I must admit.

For instance, what's the origin of the "Kellogg's Breakfast" tomato?  I thought that was corn flakes!  (What cereal would you top with tomatoes anyway?)

And how did it come to be called the "MortgageLifter"?

The "Heinz" I understand.  That company came up with its own tomato breeds to guarantee a consistent quality supply for its ketchup.  But I do wonder what a raw Heinz tomato tastes like.

I can help with those two. My personal recollections from reading seed catalogs, talking to tomato groupies, etc.

Kellogg's Breakfast. It is actually a variety developed and grown by the Kellogg family, who obviously, were great horticulturists. Man cannot live by corn alone. It also is a lovely deep orange, reminding one of that cereal. This one is documented as a family heirloom.

Mortgage Lifter (also referred to as "Radiator Charlie" and I think there is one other name). According to legend, and I don't think this has ever been verified, an individual had a nice family tomato, saved seed and sold the seedlings rather than the tomato. He made enough to pay the mortgage on his farm.

Heinz is a standard canner. Not very sweet, tart, and fleshy. Medium sized fruit. I use them for sauce, canning and salsa - but don't mind slicing one up if it looks right. I haven't been pleased with my first try, and prefer some others for those purposes, but I am giving it another chance in another area under different conditions.

The history of these varieties is a lot of fun, but you have to take it with a grain of salt sometimes.

Here's today's haul. Mr Stripey is quite large (~4 1/2" diameter). They didnt look all that stripey in isolation on the shrub, but next to the other two varieties, the name appears justified. I think they are very pretty.

I can't wait to taste them!

gallery_42210_4922_46041.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

What a beautiful red set of tomatoes! What varieties were those again?

Here's a few of the ones I've been eating this week:

The Pineapple: a pretty mottled orange/red - not too zingy, but an excellent cheese buddy. I ate him with a young camembert and a little wine...

gallery_19995_4798_473606.jpg

The Black Krim: a name worth of a Harry Potter character. Smoky, ugly goodness, but not quite as dark on the inside as the outside might lead you to believe. He's here on a baguette with mozzarella and lemon basil, which was a nice bright foil to the smokiness of the tomato.

gallery_19995_4798_429336.jpg

The Green Zebra: pretty much the opposite of the Black Krim. Zippy, bright and juicy. Excellent on its own with a little salt.

gallery_19995_4798_619637.jpg

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My question, in lieu of a better forum and in trying to piggyback the current discussion here, is how does one use all of the the dozens and dozens of garden tomatoes lovingly given them this time of year by friends and relatives?

Oh, I can like crazy! I love canned homegrown tomatoes in the winter, just plain or heated. It's a taste of summer in the winter. Yum!!!! I think I put away 2 dozen last fall summer and they only lasted until x-mas. Break out the mason jars and have a ball!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Viva, Wow! Just beautiful, thank you for sharing the pics and the descriptions of those lovely boys! Sounds to me like the green would probably be my fave, I love a strong acidic tom flavor.

Kouign Aman, How was Mr. Stripey, and what are the other ones?

Brenda

My question, in lieu of a better forum and in trying to piggyback the current discussion here, is how does one use all of the the dozens and dozens of garden tomatoes lovingly given them this time of year by friends and relatives?

Oh easy! Sauce freezes well, and it is just a matter of putting the toms through a food mill and cooking down. I also can salsa:

Salsa for canning

Easy to tweak and modify, and as long as you have a pot deep enough to cover the jars by one inch, you are good to go. Uses up four cups of chopped and seeded tomatoes. Dehydrate slices or cherries sliced in half, then add them to winter soups by the handful. All good stuff.

And, I must add, canned home grown tomatoes beat store bought canned tomatoes any time. They even beat the red Styrofoam that they pass off as fresh tomatoes in the stores in the winter as well.

Here's today's haul.  Mr Stripey is quite large (~4 1/2" diameter).  They didnt look all that stripey in isolation on the shrub, but next to the other two varieties, the name appears justified.  I think they are very pretty.

I can't wait to taste them!

I grew Mr. Stripey last year, and they do look lovely sliced up on a plate. The bush was HUGE though, and husband was not too fond of them. I found this was one of those that get much better later in the season. The first one or two that ripened for me were a disappointment. They weren't fleshy at all, and looked almost like stuffers when cut, but later I got nice meaty beefsteaks.

Viva, that Black Krim looks lovely to me! I guess I have to make room for it soon. I see you are in North Carolina, has it held up well in the heat?

Unfortunately, I have a corporate apartment with no patio, and my growing experience = nil.

However, I procure my toms from the Durham farmers' market, and everything at the market is grown within 70 miles of Durham, and the Black Krim appeared in early July at the height of our 90+ degree weather, so... I guess they might hold up in the heat!!

Chappie... make yourself hella amounts of salsa and marinara!

Today's tom: Lemon Boy. Here on a cheese bread with basil & mozzarella. Lemon Boy is, as his name would suggest, a little lemony, but he's not as tangy as Green Zebra was, and he's a little creamier. I'm with you, Brenda, I like the zippy tomatoes. (Well, and the smoky black/purples. And all the other ones. I love tomatoes.)

gallery_19995_4798_382388.jpg

Edited by viva (log)

A note on Black Cherries~

I just picked a few that were not as ripe as the previous and they were MUCH better ! I also had not watered for two days. the little bit f tang helped a LOT .

Moral to this story:

Don't wait until they get soft.....abuse them a little........... :shock:

Kathy

Good news on the Black Cherry. I was concerned, as I had already set aside garden space and have four seedlings!

I usually ripen on the kitchen table, after the toms have broken color and about 50% ripe. It keeps the critters fooled, and I notice no difference between indoor ripening and leaving on the vine until dead ripe.

Controversial topic, I know.

Some of them are better "green shouldered" I think. I particularly like the zing as well.

I never knew there were so many interesting varieties of tomatoes! But maybe that's because I've been living in an apartment in Manhattan for the past 17 years!

Anyway, here's my question. Now we live in a house with a lovely backyard. Next summer I would love to have some homegrown tomatoes, but I have no idea where to begin. Can anyone recommend a website or book to give me some guidance on what varieties would work well where I live and how to care for them?

Almost like "Tomato Growing for Dummies" (maybe that even exists!)?

Toliver linked to "Gardening for Dummies", over in the California gardening thread (the last post). I hope that link helps.

I can see I'm going to be making space for at least one black tomato next year. :)

Mr Stripey was the big stripey guys. The others were a mix of Early Girls (very very sweet) and that well known variety "I forget" (and I lost the tag). Mr Stripey was more classically 'tomatoe-y' than Early Girl, while still sweet. The flavor wasnt super intense. He was better in the Caprese Salad than Early Girl is. She's a bit too sweet for perfection in that application*. She rocks in a bacon sandwich tho, or for snarfing sun-warm straight from the shrub. (*someone asked us to show him where we were injecting the sugar. She's that sweet).

I cant wait for the Big Boys to ripen. They are new for me.

I think if I had a bazillion to spare, I'd make salsa and can or freeze it. Tomatoey salsa in winter is such a treat.

Two of my favorite tomatoes are Brandywines and Cherokee Purples, oh, I forgot about Arkansas Travelers. Do I have to just pick two, that leaves out my jona golds which I consider to be tomato crack, I can eat 2 pints easy.

I think with the heat, our production is slowing down, But the growing and picking is not over. After the heat breaks, we are able to harvest a second helping before the first frost. That is when I take all the green ones and make chowchow or Green tomato relish.

I think I will go slice up a mater even as we talk. yum.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I never knew there were so many interesting varieties of tomatoes!  But maybe that's because I've been living in an apartment in Manhattan for the past 17 years!

Anyway, here's my question.  Now we live in a house with a lovely backyard.  Next summer I would love to have some homegrown tomatoes, but I have no idea where to begin.  Can anyone recommend a website or book to give me some guidance on what varieties would work well where I live and how to care for them?

Almost like "Tomato Growing for Dummies" (maybe that even exists!)?

THis link to the Tomatofest web sitemight help. Tons of information and more varieties than you can shake a water hose at. I bought the cookbook and found it fun with some decent recipes.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!