• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Tomato Varieties

There are black cherry toms there hiding in the mix.

gallery_7620_135_35007.jpg

I was disappointed with the black cherry toms. Their flavour and yield were nothing like as good as the other two under my conditions, and the colour is muddy and unattractive. Novelty value but nothing more.

The resulting tomato puree:

gallery_7620_135_118469.jpg

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Heh! That's why I'm enjoying my jaunt here in the Southeast.

But...as a silver lining... you can still look forward to Early Girls for your BLT, whereas I have missed out on them for the year already.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My question, in lieu of a better forum and in trying to piggyback the current discussion here, is how does one use all of the the dozens and dozens of garden tomatoes lovingly given them this time of year by friends and relatives?

Here's a suggestion: Take about twenty pounds of tomatoes, cut them in half crosswise, squeeze out most of the seeds and pulp, chop roughly and add to a large pot with a little olive oil and or butter. Bring to simmer. Meanwhile, in another large pot, cook about 7 pounds of pasta. When tomatoes are heated through and pasta is al dente, toss them together with two large handfuls of fresh basil. Serve with freshly grated parmesan, crusty bread and your "house" red to twenty of your closest friends invited earlier in the day(five or six of whom will have offered to bring a salads for everyone). Enjoy.

And here’s the Japanese Black Trifele on a salt baguette with garlic, basil & creamy goat cheese. This guy was excellent: juicy and firm with a subtle smoky flavor.

gallery_19995_4798_6242.jpg

Dr. Wyche’s yellow tomatoes. A really nice big-ass yellow beefsteak. I had to post about this one as I found this great anecdote at seedsavers.org about Dr. Wyche: “He used to own Cole Brothers Circus which overwintered in Hugo, Oklahoma. He fertilized his terraced mountain-top gardens with elephant manure and scattered lion and tiger waste to keep out deer and rabbits.” Wow! There’s a thought for some of you that are having trouble keeping the critters away from your tomatoes.

gallery_19995_4798_636590.jpg

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

• 7 months later...
Summer's comin! What varieties are you hoping to find locally?

In a very unscientific, and absolutely subjective stance, I think more Oxhearts are going to hit the Farmer's Market. Just a prediction from a person living in an upside down season! :biggrin: Oxhearts are meatier than beefsteaks, and cook down better than paste types - only in my experience.

Green when ripe are so two years ago. Pink Beefsteaks are the bomb. Back to the basic kind of thing, and there are many very fine tomatoes that fit that description.

Will follow along with great interest.

Here we go again! BB Gun in hand, Tall wire mesh, (forgive me) pest deterrant spread around the planters, 40 ft. tall Female PMSing gorrilla with an attitude standing guard, (I am holding her child hostage), and the catalog in hand! I am Determined to have my OWN tomatoes this year, thank you! At this moment, I am savoring the last jar of canned (farmers market) ones from last year and loving it. What varieties will everyone be trying out this year? And why? I havn't quite decided yet, but have started the usual Arkansas Traveler, and Big Boy.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Here we go again!  BB Gun in hand, Tall wire mesh, (forgive me) pest deterrant spread around the planters, 40 ft. tall Female PMSing gorrilla with an attitude standing guard, (I am holding her child hostage), and the catalog in hand!  I am Determined to have my OWN tomatoes this year, thank you! At this moment, I am savoring the last jar of canned (farmers market) ones from last year and loving it.  What varieties will everyone be trying out this year?  And why?  I havn't quite decided yet, but have started the usual Arkansas Traveler, and Big Boy.

Good luck. My poor 85 year old active dad watched a gopher start to pull one of his healthy tomato plants down into its burrow about 2 weeks ago. Course he ran to get a bomb, but by the time he got back the plant had been completely pulled under! My entire summer food experience hinges on his wonderful tomatoes. I am on the dge of my seat!

Does anyone know a tomato called Wayahead? I got a free packet of seeds from Jung this year and I have one coming up(so far)out in the greenhouse. I also have some seedlings of Opalka tomatoes because they are supposed to be good for canning, whereas we normally use Roma.

• 2 months later...

ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I SO give up! They are all gone Again!

WANTED: Experienced Assassin! Willing to work 24 hour shifts, Can not be squeemish at the sight of blood, Will be paid on completion of task.

RIP: Arkansas Marvel, Black from Tula, German Red Strawberry, Brandywine Red, Green Giant, Sweet 100, and Big Boy.

You will be missed.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Here we go again!  BB Gun in hand, Tall wire mesh, (forgive me) pest deterrant spread around the planters, 40 ft. tall Female PMSing gorrilla with an attitude standing guard, (I am holding her child hostage), and the catalog in hand!  I am Determined to have my OWN tomatoes this year, thank you! At this moment, I am savoring the last jar of canned (farmers market) ones from last year and loving it.  What varieties will everyone be trying out this year?  And why?  I havn't quite decided yet, but have started the usual Arkansas Traveler, and Big Boy.

Good luck. My poor 85 year old active dad watched a gopher start to pull one of his healthy tomato plants down into its burrow about 2 weeks ago. Course he ran to get a bomb, but by the time he got back the plant had been completely pulled under! My entire summer food experience hinges on his wonderful tomatoes. I am on the dge of my seat!

You need the Rodenator! I swear I'm not making this up. I saw a youtube advertisment for it. It's long wand with a tank at the top. You stick the wand in a gofer or mole hole and it injects a calibrated mix of propane and oxygen. Then you press the button and BAM! It sets off a concussion throught the tunnels wiping out the little buggers. It doesn't explode your lawn or anything. The explosion stays underground. It just sends up dust in the pattern of the tunnels underground. The farmers and gardeners using this thing were having way too much fun. But I guess if you've had enough stuff dissappear you get a certain glee out of mass murdering the varmints. I saw the ad on a blog called Garden Rant.

• 1 year later...

Here we go again...............I am getting ready to order my seeds on monday. Are ther any suggestions for the most tasty tomatos out there? Don't care what they look like as long as they taste like tomatos! I have my 8 ft. fence in place, my motion sensored water spray machine, banty chickens, a BIG honery cat waiting for pray, and a sheep dog with a big bark. (BB Gun still in hand) (Actually upgraded to an airsoft). So, What do you recommend as the best of the best, regardless of price?

Brenda

This year I'm putting in:

• Purple perfect
  • German Head
  • Eva Purple Ball
  • Orange Strawberry
  • Giant Belgium
  • Dorothy's Green
  • Druzba

I'm not sure how the Giant Belgium snuck their way into my order: most of the other varieties are relatively small and should mature in around 80 days. Tomatoes stop setting fruit here come mid-summer since it's too hot for them, so I'm experimenting with these this year to see what grows best for me. They were all chosen for flavor (and to give a variety of colors), I got them out of 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Got my order in and seeds on the way! (Yes, I live a very dull life)

From Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds....

Reisetomate (just for the novelty of it) look it up crazy tomato

Black Krim

Carbon

Cherokee purple

Black Cherry

Reisentraube

Tess Landrover Current

From Seed Savers Exchange....

Brandywine Suddeth

Jaune Flamme

Tommy Toe

I am practically bouncing in my chair!

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

Planted mine today. They'll spend a few days inside to germinate before moving out to the grow lights in the garage (where it's about 60°F under the lights). I'm really hoping this next year is better for tomatoes than last year was, I got almost nothing! Super hot July just killed production, I hadn't put them in early enough to get any fruit before the heat wave hit. I'm trying out a bunch of different varieties here this year to see what grows best... with a little luck they will all do well and I'll have a selection. Fingers crossed.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Planted mine today. They'll spend a few days inside to germinate before moving out to the grow lights in the garage (where it's about 60°F under the lights). I'm really hoping this next year is better for tomatoes than last year was, I got almost nothing! Super hot July just killed production, I hadn't put them in early enough to get any fruit before the heat wave hit. I'm trying out a bunch of different varieties here this year to see what grows best... with a little luck they will all do well and I'll have a selection. Fingers crossed.

Yea, last year was no good here either,(really cold till much later)...I cheat, because there is a great place here that gets theirs started real early so when I buy em on May 15 (average last frost) they are really big,,,some usually already have some fruit set,and they have a great selection including San Marizano.(my fave)

Bud

• 2 months later...

I was picking out some heirloom tomato plants yesterday and was surprised at all the new varieties available locally. I ended up buying 2 Pruden's Purples, a Mr. Stripey, and some Sweet Red 100s. I have no experience with any of these but thought I'd branch out and try some new ones this year.

I usually buy Brandywines and I love Purple Cherokees because of their slightly smokey flavor but I haven't seen them yet this year.

What are your favorites? Any suggestions on some of the lesser known varieties?

Haven't read the whole thread, but have to report my ultimate favorite -- the huge yellow tomato called Kelloggs Breakfast. If you can find this -- grow it! Divine, juice-dripping-down-your-chin huge tomatoes... My favorite thing to do with them is to chop some yellow tomatoes into the bottom of a bowl, pour over some just-boiled spaghetti, dot with lots of butter and salt, and mix until the tomatoes melt and become the most amazing on-the-spot sauce...

I get really low yield w Mr Stripey, but its worth it. Serve it to show off the colors/pattern.

We really liked Green Zebra last year, and it was a great kick to eat something disconcerting.

I was still picking grape tomatoes and a meaty volunteer of some kind in January, but never got this year's plants going. Something overwintered (Early Girl, I think) and we had them last week, which was a nice treat.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.