• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

but i DO eat alliums!

willows

So I just acquired Lord Krishna's Cuisine and, while it's pretty neat and has an amazing collection of sweets, it also doesn't use onions and garlic.

Instead it tends to use asafoetida, which makes me feel pretty sick when I smell it, so I want to rehabilitate those recipes, and re-substitute onion and garlic for it. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Are you using the resin or the powder?

The resin is much nicer.

So I just acquired Lord Krishna's Cuisine and, while it's pretty neat and has an amazing collection of sweets, it also doesn't use onions and garlic.

Instead it tends to use asafoetida, which makes me feel pretty sick when I smell it, so I want to rehabilitate those recipes, and re-substitute onion and garlic for it. Anyone have any ideas about that?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

willows, i actually sold my copy of LK'sC because of the non onion and garlic issue--the recipes i made tasted flat to me without them--and although it is a beautuful and interesting book, asafoetida is no sub for my buddies, o & g.

Jainists and some other sects, including the Hare Krishnas, avoid onions, garlic, ginger and potatoes for religious reasons. Temple Buddhist cooking often excludes the onions and garlic because they supposed to arouse the passions, but the bulb and root vegetables are avoided by the Jains because harvesting requires killing the plant.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Jainists and some other sects, including the Hare Krishnas, avoid onions, garlic, ginger and potatoes for religious reasons. Temple Buddhist cooking often excludes the onions and garlic because they supposed to arouse the passions, but the bulb and root vegetables are avoided by the Jains because harvesting requires killing the plant.

Fascinating. Thank you! :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

When hing is heated the strong smell when raw gets absolutely

transformed into a mild and lovely aroma. The two odors

are completely different. Plus, only a tiny pinch is used.

I wonder if those who find hing objectionable enjoy fish sauce

or stinky cheese.

I wonder if those who find hing objectionable enjoy fish sauce

or stinky cheese.

Yeah, I grew up with hing in my kitchen and I don't like it at all. Fish sauce on the other hand is delicious. But it doesn't matter, that's not what my question is.

So, I know a couple of the generalisations for converting back, like, at home we often made dum and other thick gravies with fried onions. Any other patterns?