• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea: dinner suggestions this weekend

My hubby and I will be making our way to Seattle this Friday for the weekend, and are looking for a little culinary advice. We will be celebrating our anniversary on Saturday, and are looking for suggestions as to where to eat; however, I am pregnant, and am having a hard time with nausea still :blush:. Right now I can't stand onions and garlic (two of my usual favourite things), and anything very spicy. I am better in the morning, then the evening, but I also have good days. Seafood sounds good to me right now, as long as it doesn't have any heavy sauces. Clean, unadulterated foods are most easy to digest. Sorry about the crazy restrictions...I can't help it.

We will be staying in the U district, but will have our car, so we don't mind travelling. Does anyone have any suggestions for us? Thanks in advance for your help :wub:.

I think Matt's in the Market would fit the bill (see it's own thread for more info)-seafood, no heavy sauces or spicyness, and good service that would probably be as helpful as possible keeping onions and garlic away from you. Make a reservation.

Matt's would be a good choice. Another place that would fit the plain seafood bill is Waterfront, it's a little more up-scale and more expensive than Matt's.

Waterfront dinner menu

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thank you both for your suggestions, and the link. We will look over and see what we think. Any other suggestions...doesn't have to be seafood. Any places worth checking out for breakfast/brunch? Cheers.

Oh go to Union!! perfectly cooked seafood, less expensive than Waterfront and much better IMHO. But Waterfront does have a wonderful view and I have been there for many occasions so it is for sure not a bad idea. Brunch I would go to Volterra in Ballard. Again great prices and will also take you to an area that is well worth exploring!! Or you could do dim sum in the ID if Chinese sounds good??

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Hubby and I had a wonderful trip. A special "thanks" to Tighe for suggesting Waterfront. We had a wonderful meal, on a beautiful night. The service was amazing and we really enjoyed ourselves. It was nice, "clean" food, and I really, really enjoyed my crab cakes!!!!

We did explore Ballard, and are looking forward to going back and exploring it a bit more. We ended up at the farmer's market in the U-district on Saturday morning and found ourselves in heaven. The amount and quality of your organic produce is amazing. We were very jealous that you have access to such a great weekly market. I love our UBC (our university farm) farmer's market, but it doesn't compare.

We will be trying out some of your other suggestions in September, when we return for the opening of the PNB season. Thanks again...you guys are wonderful :wub:.