• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling Corn

snowangel

It's hot here. Really really hot. When the air conditioning is on, I have a hard time justifying bringing a pot of water to boil on the stove...

I've never grilled corn. Expertise wanted, please!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

couldn't be simpler. soak the whole ears (husks, silk and all) in a pot of water for about 30 minutes. Grill over medium-high heat, turning every 5 minutes or so. it'll take about 20-25 minutes--the kernels will darken and the husk will start to blacken. don't worry if it chars in places, that tastes good, too. When the corn is done, pull the husks and most of the silk will come with it.

You can also grill corn after removing the husks and silk, just as you would if you were boiling them. Set them directly on the grill and turn them every once in a while. Seems like they take about ten minutes total, but your mileage will vary. They're done when they look, well, done.

Can you pee in the ocean?

either of those will work perfectly.....but my farm stand guy says to microwave it for 2 min over an inch of water

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

... but my farm stand guy says to microwave it for 2 min over and inch of water

Or season, apply butter, wrap in clingfilm and microwave for a minute or two (normal microwave rules apply!)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I grill husk on after soaking in water. I also melt butter in hot water in a tall thin container on the grill at the same time. When the corn is done, pull the husks and silk back, use the husk as a handle, and dip in the container of butter/water. The butter floats on top and coats the grilled corn perfectly and easily. Salt and pepper, and eat until you can't eat any more!

I also use the wet it down and grill method, however I will peel the husk back and clean off the silk. Than bring the husk back up around the corn. You can soak it as others suggest or I just spray it down and grill it up. If your corn is fresh,and I'm sure Susan's is, it won't take long.

Grilling it after it is husked works well too. Just need to be a bit more vigilant to prevent burning. This method will give the corn a bit of char flavor.

Another method I have seen used is to soak up a hunk of burlap and wrap the corn in the burlap and grill up the whole thing spraying the burlap if necessary.

We always just put the ears directly on the grill, no soaking beforehand. They get a great roasty flavor as the husks start to char. And the silk comes right off, very easily!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

either of those will work perfectly.....but my farm stand guy says to microwave it for 2 min over an inch of water

tracey

Really? The farm guy goes with the mic vs. the grill???

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Hi,

We spray the husked ears with olive oil and turn them every 3 minutes till they are evenly caramelized. This can be done over charcoal, gas or under an electric broiler.

We also strip the kernels before serving with butter.

Tim

tracey

Farmers are not necessarily known for their cooking skills. :)

I can't imagine why you'd want to microwave farm fresh corn. If it's really fresh, try it raw. Otherwise, either the soak or no-soak methods work great. I used to soak all of the time before grilling, now I hardly ever do because I find that it doesn't make that much of a difference (especially if the corn is fresh).

I find microwaving with out any water, just put a couple of ears in and let it go for a short spin has the least effect on flavor. I like mine on the undercooked side. I grill with husks off. When I clean the corn I always leave the stalk end on so it acts as a handle when turning on the grill or what I do most often is to grill directly over the flame of the rangetop.

I remember reading a cooks illustrated article on grilling corn, and they tried grilling it husked, unhusked, and also husked, but with the silk left on, and decided that grilling with the silk alone got the best results.

Not so steamy as husk grilled, and not quite so charred as naked on the grill.

That's been the way I do it, and It works well. Obviously grilled, but not quite so scary looking as the blackened naked corn on the grill.

Am I the only one who think corn tastes best when it is super fresh, eaten RAW? People always seem to think that it must be cooked...

I love it raw. Made a salad last week with cucumbers, tomatoes, raw corn and onions. The corn gave it a wonderful sweet crunch.

tracey

Farmers are not necessarily known for their cooking skills. :)

I can't imagine why you'd want to microwave farm fresh corn. If it's really fresh, try it raw. Otherwise, either the soak or no-soak methods work great. I used to soak all of the time before grilling, now I hardly ever do because I find that it doesn't make that much of a difference (especially if the corn is fresh).

When he asked how I was going to cook it I proudley told him I was going to grill it. This was after tasting it right from the bin....he said nuke it. I only nuke if I am not grilling already.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Greg Atkinson has a method we like: Shuck the corn, bathe it with olive oil, butter or a mixture, add chopped garlic and fresh herbs to mixture, wrap with aluminum foil and grill; turn a coule of times and test for doneness after about 20 minutes.

Dave

Am I the only one who think corn tastes best when it is super fresh, eaten RAW? People always seem to think that it must be cooked...

I love it raw. Made a salad last week with cucumbers, tomatoes, raw corn and onions. The corn gave it a wonderful sweet crunch.

one summer we visited grandma's corn farm in ohio when i was about nine yrs old. she taught me that fresh and hot off the stalk her corn was delicious without anything. when i was growing my own white sweet corn i'd pluck it under the hot tx sun and eat it right there.

if i'm roasting/grilling it, before soaking in water several hours, i usually remove silk first, probably more of a habit because kids don't like that stringy mess. whenever possible we'd stick the ears right down in the ash covered coals and roast peppers (plain or stuffed with a wide variety of whatever's available goodies) on the metal grill above. turn the corn, turn the peppers. the roasted char aroma from the peppers and corn mingle into a richly delicious flavor. :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

It's hot here.  Really really hot.  When the air conditioning is on, I have a hard time justifying bringing a pot of water to boil on the stove...

I've never grilled corn.  Expertise wanted, please!

Great minds, and close proximity. I grilled corn this weekend.

I grill 'em naked. They can go right on, or get a drizzle of olive oil, some salt and maybe a little pepper. The beauty of grilling them naked is the charring. Watch them so they don't burn, but when the kernels turn golden brown, even a deep brown - nothing can match it.

Be careful though. Corn on the grill will pop. Little spurts or boiling corn juice flying into your face. But worth it.

We use the cooks illustrated method as well but I thought they recommended leaving just the last thin layer or two of husk. That's what we do and it's been a hit.

Mmmm...Minnesota sweet corn season!

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches