• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creating new dinner from leftover ingredients

rhinopias

This weekend I prepared a summer dinner for my husbands 40th with 70 guests. This Friday I need to prepare dinner for five and I would like to use as much of the leftover ingredients as possible, however these five people were guests for the previous weekends party. Suggestions on using these ingredients again would be much appreciated.

Previous weekend included...

1) Procuitto, Brie, and Fig confit sanwiches - what's left is Procuitto which is easy to use with stone fruit or melon salad, but I have a lot of the Fig confit left over, I mean alot...it has rosemary and white wine overtones.

2) Roast Beef, Roasted Red Onions, and Lemon Basil Mayo Sandwiches - leftover pounds of Roasted Red Onions, I thought a tart but the onions contain Balsamtic and don't know how that would react with the cream based tarts, also a good amount of the mayo left.....crudites, but that's so boring.

3) Watermelon soup w/ Ginger - this I thought I would make into Aqua Frescas

4) a sizable wedge of Manchego is left as is a good amount of Arugula

I'm thinking several small plates would be the most sensible approach, thoughts?

That's a great idea, Anna.

Another possibility would be to do pan-fried cutlets of veal, pork, chicken or eggplant, and top them with Manchego, red onion and proscuitto. Sauteed arugula would be an excellent side dish.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is strangely reminiscent of the kickoff episode of Top Chef Season 3.

I'm reaching here but I've been grating manchego for risotto. The fig can be used to glaze meats (quail, pork, duck) etc or as a base of a sauce or savory dessert or paired as a base for tapas with the manchego. Personally, I really like Anna's pissaladière.

Arugula: apart from salad and sautéed, I've tried to make it into a sauce with varying results. You could transform it into a flavored oil for other plates.

After a week, is the mayo still okay?

Wow guys - thanks so much. I've found my self a little wiped for ideas after the week of cooking. I thinks Anna'a idea sounds perfect. I'll do the stone fruit salad w/ proscuitto and arugula and Anna'a pissaladiere.

I don't know if the mayo will still be good?

leftover pounds of Roasted Red Onions, I thought a tart but the onions contain Balsamtic and don't know how that would react with the cream based tarts,

Don't forego the tart idea if it's something you really like. A popular starter here in the UK is variations on a theme of goat's cheese tarts. The roasted red onions would go perfectly with the cheese with a little dressed arugula on the side to help cut through the creaminess of the cheese.

Or, you could take the onions beyond roasting and caramelize them for bruschetta. Balsamic won't hurt this at all. I use a little balsamic in the onion confit I make for bangers and mash.

Sounds like your husband had a feast fit for a king for his birthday!

leftover pounds of Roasted Red Onions, I thought a tart but the onions contain Balsamtic and don't know how that would react with the cream based tarts,

Don't forego the tart idea if it's something you really like. A popular starter here in the UK is variations on a theme of goat's cheese tarts. The roasted red onions would go perfectly with the cheese with a little dressed arugula on the side to help cut through the creaminess of the cheese.

Or, you could take the onions beyond roasting and caramelize them for bruschetta. Balsamic won't hurt this at all. I use a little balsamic in the onion confit I make for bangers and mash.

Sounds like your husband had a feast fit for a king for his birthday!

I was also going to suggest goat cheese tart to go with the onions. You've got a lot of good ideas here already, but I just wanted to add one more. My favorite salad dressing is grilled figs blended with garlic, thyme and balsamic vinegar--usually no need for oil beyond what is brushed on the figs for grilling. This would probably work great with your fig confit as well. Toss with the arugula and add some more confited figs.