• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread Tips & Techniques: Not Sourdough

FanGJiN

I actually have a question regarding fermentation times. How long can a dough ferment before it really starts to degrade? I know gluten will eventually break down, yeast will put out an undesirable flavor and die, and other enzymatic activity will occur that I don't fully understand as of yet, but how long does it really take for those things to occur?

I do realize that yeast activity will be in accordance to temperature, so put this question into perspective, let's say we have a standard lean dough formula like this:

100% flour

70% water

1% instant yeast

2% salt

Then we ferment it at 75 degrees Fahrenheit. How long would it take for the dough to show undesirable characteristics?

I'm assuming that the yeast would be the first thing that would cause problems, so to add another twist to the question(s); how affective would folding the dough at every hour be in keeping an active yeast colony?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...

I've been doing the pain l'ancienne from the BBA with decent results except for the cosmetics.

The dough is on the wet side and any attempts to move it around whilst shaping or after cutting result in wrinkles from it snagging on the well floured counter.

bagxr3.jpg

can't get it to keep tight and taut unless I actually work on it on the baking sheet

Any suggestions ?