• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you like on your burger?

Norm357

Being from the south, I must chime in and add my favorite burger--medium rare on a crusty grilled bun with cheese, chili and mustard. Kudos to the burger joint that can serve this to me without the necessity of more than one or two napkins.

Burgers, are in fact on the menu here tonight. I like mine medium to medium rare,

bacon

tomato

dijon

ketchup

onion

processed cheese. There are few applications for processed cheese slices, but burgers and grilled cheese just seem to call out for them.

If I use peanut butter, it goes in the burgers, not on them. Otherwise, just salt and pepper and a little butter in the mix.

And the bun must be toasted or grilled.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

If I use peanut butter, it goes in the burgers, not on them. 

I will attest to the fact that peanut butter burgers are great! :biggrin:

When I'm lazy, rather than incorporating peanut butter into the patty, I just spread a thin coat on the top side of the burger before flipping.

SB (Credit to Marlene's Dad for this concept! :cool: )

Typically my ideal burger will have cheese (blue or sharp cheddar) bacon mushrooms onions and mustard on a good toasted bun. I enjoy slaw and chili from time to time, if I know those two condiments are done to my liking. Generally stay away from tomato, as it's squishy/watery, and, in the case of a commerical eatery, probably flavorless.

During the summer, at home, a nice thick medium-cooked patty (no more than 80% lean), grilled over charcoal with some mesquite chunks for flavor, on a grill-toasted bun.

Toppings: mustard, mayo, dill pickle slices, purple onion, a fresh slice of beefsteak tomato, and a slice of whatever cheese I can find in the drawer. Oh, and they have to be served on the metal western platter I inherited from my maternal grandparents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

You may be thinking of You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or processed cheese food, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

SB (NOT a Biblical Scholar, nor a Holiday Inn Express Stayer :rolleyes: )

...processed cheese spread...

--Sandy, gettin' all 36 CFR 130-whatever on ya; of course, this revision applies only to Velveeta, unless you're using those really cheap American singles

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

...processed cheese spread...

Kraft refers to Velveeta as "cheese product".

Processed cheese "spread" is Cheese Whiz, which, as a Philadephian(?), you are quite acquainted with the use of. (okay; it's late. That's just the way the sentence came out and I'm too lazy to reword it now! :huh:)

--Sandy, gettin' all 36 CFR 130-whatever on ya; of course, this revision applies only to Velveeta, unless you're using those really cheap American singles

The slices are great for one thing. I use my animal cookie cutters to cut them into cheese critters for the grandkids! :biggrin:

SB (faux cheese aficionado :cool: )

Oh, and they have to be served on the metal western platter I inherited from my maternal grandparents.

This sounds like an interesting thread in and of itself- go for it!

Regular burger: Rare burger with mayo or thousand, grilled onion, lettuce and tomato, on a grilled sesame bun.

fancy burger: Rare burger and sesame bun with bacon, mushrooms, grilled onion, swiss, with mayo and Maille Original Mustard.

Fast food: In-N-Out - Double meat with grilled onions.

Really I should have called my burger selections "Pure" and "Pimped".

"pure" = plain with cheese

"pimped" = peanut butter, jam, and bacon. I can also attest that the peanut butter is good both on top of the burger as well as in it.

Pimp My Burger!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My perfect simple burger would have just Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and Lawry's season salt.

My over-the-top burger would have the addition of thin onion slices, cukes and tomato and maybe crunchy bacon.... Hmmmm heaven....

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Tomotoes, raw onion, dill pickle, 5 year old cheddar cheese, ketchup, mustard. Bacon and mushrooms are good, but not essential.

Washed down with an ice cold beer, in the company of friends, and theres nothing better.

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

Purist: Heinz, Guldens, Dutch mayo, tomato, onion.

Nostalgic: A1, Swiss cheese, and sauteed onion on an English muffin...my dad used to make these. I would get the hiccups every time.

1990s burger: blue cheese, bacon, Heinz, Vidalia onion. And a Sierra Nevada.

Edited by markemorse (log)

My categories:

Smash patty: 1/4 lb patty, American cheese, mayo, ketchup, lots of dill pickle chips, sliced bermuda onion, sliced tomato, iceberg lettuce, sesame seed bun.

Gourmet Burger: 1/3-1/2 lb fresh ground beef patty, cooked medium rare: mayo, crispy bacon, blue cheese, red onion, sliced tomato, dill pickle slices, butter lettuce, brioche-type bun.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

ONIONS (preferably thinly sliced red onions, or sweet onions like Vidalias...) must have onions. Grilled ok, fresh better.

After that, catsup, tomato, S&P. Sometimes good strong cheese (extra sharp Cheddar or bleu), sometimes bacon, sometimes mayo.

But always onions. It ain't a burger without onions. And a nice, sturdy bun/roll. Like a Kaiser roll. None of those wimpy, fluffy, cottony wonderbread type rolls. Maybe a nice onion/egg bun.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

:cool:

I hear you, Pierogi. It might be a burger without onions, but...it'd be such a sad one.

Let's see, now: this week's burger is bloody rare (salt and pepper and nothing else, while cooking) and not too lean, on a warm mayo-spread toasted English muffin with a slice of tomato and a generous slice of grilled yellow onion.

Last week's thick burger went to a picnic in a hamper, and she went on a buttered toasted Kaiser roll, with a thick slice of raw red onion and another of tomato, and spears of fine Kosher dill on the side.

I haven't figured out what next week's burger will be like, but it's gonna be fun to find out!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

All hamburgers/cheeseburgers, for years and years, have quite consistently been topped with:

Mayo, double Mustard, and as many pickles as I can pile on.

I am open-minded on what sort of cheese.

I am not interested in tomatoes, or lettuce, or onions on my burger.

But of late, I must admit, things are changing. For example, I now put peanut butter in my burgers. I wonder where I learned that trick? :wink:

Robin Tyler McWaters