• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you like on your burger?

Norm357

I'm an impurist. I like bacon, stinky cheese (a bleu, Pont l'Eveque, whatever's in the fridge) maybe a tomato in season and an onion. On a sandwich-sized English Muffin.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I like mine on a good roll (firm enough to hold itself together) but just soft enough to stay out of the way. Cheddar cheese, crunchy pickle, onion, lettuce, thick slices of tomato, vinegary coarse mustard on the bottom bun, a little mayo and ketchup on the top. I like the burger med-rare, seasoned only with S&P.

josh

I go through phases when it comes to burgers.

Currently, I like a good smear of peanut butter (the "just peanuts" kind) and some hot peppers. Oooooh baby!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I might be easier for me to list what I Don't like!

Start with a crisp grilled bun, medium-rare burger for me also. Please don't put..........ketchup, american cheese, bbq sauce or anything sweet on my burger. My fave might be plain, with just good mayo and sliced onion. But I also love it loaded with the usuals and will try almost anything once, and have found that I like unusual toppings also. Jalepenos, avacado, grilled mushrooms and onions, lots of different kinds of cheeses, horseradish, wasabi, most veggies, crispy lettuce, sprouts, and the list could go on forever! I even had one once fixed with a kimche topping, it was actually good for a change of pace. I guess that makes me pretty easy to please. :wink:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

medium rare ..seared salty, crispy and dark on the outside...top on a hard roll with peanut butter (chunky Adams) and crispy really good smoked bacon, tomatoes and dill pickles

orrrr cooked the same way in a sourdough bun with fresh roasted NM green chiles, tomato, avocado, sourcream and jack cheese

I am a purist as well I never really liked them for years ..now I have grown to purely love hamburgers!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Sometimes, just cheese.

Sometimes a bit of dijon, some red onion, and a bit of pickle. Sometimes a smear of mayo and a slice of tomato.

Sometimes, Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning (the paste).

Lately, bleu cheese and bacon.

Me, Im a purist.

I like a medium rare burger, served on a grilled bun with a thin slice of tomato and mayo. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now that's good eats!

How does that make you a purist? Wouldn't a purist eschew anything but patty and bun?

Myself, I like all kinds of stuff on a burger. Two of my favorite constructions are:

Bleu Burger: bleu cheese mixed into ground beef before making patties; served on grilled roll with mayo, sliced tomatoes and red onions.

Barbecue Bacon Cheeseburger: regular patty topped with thick-cut smoky bacon, sauteed onions and sharp aged provolone and served with a tangy mustard-based barbecue sauce.

Ahh summer is here and the chiles are coming in. I roast some Anahiems, Poblanos, and Jalapenos on the grill till the skin is black then peel and dice. I then saute some onin and garlic in olive oil, add the diced chiles, some cumin and Mexican Oregano and maybe a little chicken stock. Let it cook down a bit. Grill the burger till medium rare, top with green chile mixture and some good cheddar.

Oh man, I love summer.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

A nice Bun (not too squishy, not too hard)

Hellmans Mayo

French's Mustard

Heinz Ketchup

Hamburger Dills (chopped up fine so I wont pull the whole pickle out in one bite)

Quick Pickled Vidalias

Just the Top of a Romaine Lettuce Leaf

A Slice of Tomato (seeded and patted dry so it wont water it down)

and

A Slice of Velveeta!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

A nice Bun (not too squishy, not too hard)

Hellmans Mayo

French's Mustard

Heinz Ketchup

Hamburger Dills (chopped up fine so I wont pull the whole pickle out in one bite)

Quick Pickled Vidalias

Just the Top of a Romaine Lettuce Leaf

A Slice of Tomato (seeded and patted dry so it wont water it down)

and

A Slice of Velveeta!

Oh man, that's like the ideal summertime grilled-at-home burger. :drool:

As far as restaurant burgers go, I love a good steakburger with amercian cheese, lettuce and tomato, and oozing with mayo and meltingly soft grilled onions. If it's going to be a regular patty, I like medium rare, lots of coarse black pepper, and blue cheese dressing. Sometimes fried onions and bacon to gild the lily. Mmmmmmm...

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Agreed, GlorifiedRice -- for the most part; I can think of some food products for which I can find absolutely no justification whatsoever. However, even some of those, like boxed macaroni & cheese dinner, can be turned into decent--sometimes even great--eats with proper doctoring.

Speaking of macaroni & cheese, that is Velveeta's highest and best use. I keep it as far away from my hamburgers as possible.

I'll put pickles on my burger, but prefer the rest of the salad on the side, please. On the burger itself, I prefer

A nice soft but crusty bun

Barbecue sauce OR ketchup, in that order

Mustard, preferably Dijon or spicy brown deli style

A slice of cheese, in order of preference: Cheddar (extra sharp, New York or Vermont preferred), Swiss, Muenster; if I'm feeling adventurous, Pepper Jack or Port Salut

For a change of pace:

Cooked bacon slices

Crumbled blue cheese -- anything but Treasure Cave is fine by me

I also like to mix in Worcestershire sauce and onion powder with the ground beef. I'll also mix in either seasoned salt or Old Bay from time to time, despite what I've been warned about putting salt in raw ground beef.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Glorified Rice, Hi.....

I'm all for chacun a son/sa gout (each to his/her taste) and was certainly exaggerating just a bit in the sake of humor.

On the other hand, I cannot feel that there must be some limits. What for example would we two think of a food product whose major ingredients are diglycerides, sodium stearoyl, lactylate, polysorbate 60, dipotassium phosphate and sodium acid pyrophosphate as well as the nearly unpronounceable hydropropylmethylcellulose. Finally,in order to give us the illusion that these things are real food,they also contain artificial color and taste materials, withoutwhich they would probably taste similar to the plastic bags we receive at supermarkets*.

The products in question are the sweet cream and whipped cream substitutes sold under the brand name of "Rich". To the best of my knowledge there are three categories of people who use these products – those who are lactose intolerant (and I have no bone whatsoever to pick with those people), those who keep kashrut and thus avoid combining milk and meat products in the same meal and those who use dairy substitutes because for some reason or another they have an absolute terror of anything that hints of cholesterol.

Like Velveeta (in my opinion), Rich is edible and will probably do us no harm whatsoever. Neither in my opinion is tasty and neither adds joy to our lives as food is supposed to. As once I wrote about a completely different product: "This stuff is edible. Why anyone would choose to eat is eludes me".

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

Glorified Rice, Hi.....

I'm all for chacun a son/sa gout (each to his/her taste) and was certainly exaggerating just a bit in the sake of humor. 

On the other hand, I cannot feel that there must be some limits.  What for example would we two think of a food product whose major ingredients are diglycerides, sodium stearoyl, lactylate, polysorbate 60, dipotassium phosphate and sodium acid pyrophosphate as well as the nearly unpronounceable hydropropylmethylcellulose.                      Finally,in order to give us the illusion that these things are real food,they also contain artificial color and taste materials, withoutwhich they would probably taste similar to the plastic bags we receive at supermarkets*.

The products in question are the sweet cream and whipped cream substitutes sold under the brand name of "Rich".  To the best of my knowledge there are three categories of people who use these products – those who are lactose intolerant (and I have no bone whatsoever to pick with those people), those who keep kashrut and thus avoid combining milk and meat products in the same meal and those who use dairy substitutes because for some reason or another they have an absolute terror of anything that hints of cholesterol.

Like Velveeta (in my opinion), Rich is edible and will probably do us no harm whatsoever. Neither in my opinion is tasty and neither adds joy to our lives as food is supposed to. As once I wrote about a completely different product:  "This stuff is edible.  Why anyone would choose to eat is eludes me".

*shrug* It seems as though many eG folks were raised on Velveeta, or worse. I didn't taste brie, till my early 20's. You can't replicate that particular nuance of creamy, melty, salty, "cheezy" goodness with any natural product. I eat it today, because I choose to, which is a nice change from eating it because I have to. It's a comfort food thing.

In my first post, I took it for granted that I had to mention cheese...but yeah, definitely yellow american, the more processed the better, as my first choice, with cheddar a close second, for a standard burger. Though, it's nice to have feta or bleu from time to time, on special burgers. Velveeta or similar products are as much a part of our family's standard backyard burger, as the bun. We go out specifically and buy processed cheese for burgers, and good ol' grilled cheese.

BTW- I was not referring to a slice of the BLOCK Velveeta, but these:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/sectionimg/713velveta.jpg

As gGullet is international I said Velveeta. Im not sure if Velveeta slices are in other countries. Probably not.

Also, Daniel? There are some things (to me) that are TOO gourmet and I think are not tasty...

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Purist: Meat, cheese, and bun. Cheese: I am not particular here, but it needs to be something that melts smoothly. Bun: a well made, lightly buttered and grilled bun... but *only* the bottom side of the bun. I prefer I higher meat-to-bread ratio than eating both sides of the bun allows for.

Impurist: peanut butter, a sour/sweet jam, and thick slices of pepper bacon. (As inspired by the Foggy Bottom Burger at Mo's in Hollywood - the bacon is my addition to that otherwise perfectly decadent burger.)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

...A Slice of Velveeta!

Velveeta....wasnt that one of the things listed in the Old Testament as "an abomination"???

You may be thinking of You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or processed cheese food, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

SB (NOT a Biblical Scholar, nor a Holiday Inn Express Stayer :rolleyes: )