• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brandon Kahlich's Bambu in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI

boagman

Holy cow, folks. I was going to go to Weekday Cafe tonight for dinner, and when I got there, I found out that they were on vacation, so I had to think on my feet. Since Eastpointe and Grosse Pointe Farms aren't too far from each other, and I needed to go that way anyway, I decided to go to Bambu. Superior choice.

Brandon's still got it, folks. There were three chalkboard specials:

1. Slow braised beef short rib with smashed potatoes and asparagus at $17

2. Lamb shank with veggies in a red wine au jus with whipped potatoes at $16

3. Seared sea scallops, asparagus, and goatscheese darphan potatoes at $18

I was actually in a mood for beef, so I went with choice #1. All the specials came with a house salad with choice of house-made dressing (I went with the raspberry-honey, which was very nice, and not too overpowering), and upon request, a basket of bread, with butter.

My short rib of beef was the best beef dish I've eaten in at *least* three years. Yes, I was hungry, but this thing was just heaven on a plate. The very definition of fork-tender, the first bite practically exploded in my mouth with deep, rich flavor. The beef had *just enough* fat left on there to really enjoy, as well as the potatoes, and the carrots, and tomatoes (can't remember what else). I literally used the bread to sop up every last morsel of the gravy I could get, it was that good. Heck, had there not been other diners there, I may very well have licked the stupid plate.

Then, dessert. Oh! Holy cow! The server (who was decent) told me that they had one dessert: creme caramel, and I asked how much it was. In all honesty, I'm more of a chocolate guy myself, but you never know...sometimes a nice creme brulee or flan or creme caramel will really hit the spot. She checked on the price, and it was $5. I decided to go for it, if only to support Brandon's efforts.

WORTH EVERY STINKING PENNY.

The creme caramel was absolutely *beautiful* (I actually took two pictures of it on my cell phone, but don't know how to upload them). It came with fresh blackberries, raspberries, and sliced strawberries, some thin, delicious sweetbread/cookie thing, and some crystalized caramel on the top. This thing was a site to behold. Eating it was honestly stratospheric...the flavors meshed so well, the berries were right at the peak of freshness/juiciness, and the different textures really complemented each other. The server was at another table trying to sell the dessert, and I chimed in to help out, indicating that it was fantastic, and inherently sharable. They were *very* impressed as well.

Folks, I was out the door for $28, tax and tip included (no beverages, just water). For what amounts to two home runs (entree and dessert), to me, that's a bargain. And this without even ordering the to-die-for crab cakes that he's known so well for!

Hie thee to Bambu, and order the specials. You won't be disappointed. This is actually the first time I've had one of his entrees that wasn't a seafood entree, and now I'll be torn, since the beef was just so delicious. Fan-stinking-tastic.

Heard that his food was really worth going for, but I also heard that it's kinda hard to get a table at such a small establishment. I was glad to see a good review from a trusted foodie!

I can imagine that on a weekend evening it might be hard to get a table...I think even Brandon himself told me that! However, on a weekday evening, it wasn't crowded, and again: the fare was *excellent*!

Recommended. How are things at The Whitney shaping up?