• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Well Soon, chefg (Grant Achatz)

ulterior epicure

Grant,

Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have enormous passion, energy, and drive and will overcome this. We will see you in New York in September........

George.

I've just read that Grant Achatz has been diagnosed with cancer. www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2007/07/alineas-grant-achatz-has-cance.html

I've never been to Alinea, let alone the US, but it deeply saddens me as I was only listening to his NPR appearance yesterday. All your experiences have made the restaurant very real to me.

I hope this maestro makes a full recovery quickly.

Adey

You've always kicked a$$ - no reason to think you won't do it again!

Best,

Judy

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Chef:

My best wishes. Your creativity, work ethic, and optimism is appreciated and admired in and out of the kitchen. Looking forward to hearing good news about your recovery.

Amador

too much, too fast...too bad.

Dear Chef:

It was quite a kick in the gut to read of your illness this morning. What a shock. Please get well soon, and rest assured that our prayers are with you (as well as those of an awful lot of other people!).

Peg Wolfe

Hey G- this really sucks.

Your attitude doesn't, and that's a big help. I'm married to a man who was diagnosed end stage twice, in as many years.

He's still married to me, and we live in interesting times.

Life is an opera. I think you've got the chops.

Best,

shelley

I, too, am with you, man. We've never met, but I've been an admirer of your progress since your time at TFL. It is one of my quests to dine at Alinea. I want you to be there in top form when I do. Love and best wishes, Ted

Dear Chef,

As just one of so many folks in the field who have been amazed and inspired by your work, I wish you the best as you meet (and beat, no doubt!) this new challenge. May the mysteries of love and the powers of science work their magic for you, your family and friends in this trying time.

Take comfort in the support and care of your loved ones. You are in my heart, as you are in all who have been touched by your creativity, ambition and generosity of spirit. As we take joy in your success, we pull for you in your time of difficulty.

In hope,

MK

"What was good enough yesterday may not be good enough today." - Thomas Keller

Chef G,

Though I do not know you and have not been to Alinea, I have read about your career for awhile now. You and others like you, have inspired me to be more creative in the kitchen. I know that as a home chef I will never cook to the extremes that you do, but if I can take just a hint here and there to bolster my creativity and maybe wow a dinner guest or two I am happy.

My thoughts, are with you and your family.

Keep cookin' my man.

S

I'm so sorry to read of your cancer diagnosis. My husband and I had a wonderful night at Alinea last month. We'll be thinking of you and hoping and praying for a sucessful treatment and cure.

Tobi

Chef Grant,

Gilda's Club Chicago can offer you support during your treatment. 

Also, Lance Armstrong's foundation will offer any help it can.

G-dspeed to you, Chef.

Steve

Chef Achatz: We have always been great supporters of your culinary genius. We know that you will continue to devote yourself, as much as possible, to overseeing the finest and most creative products that Alinea consistently offers its diners. Your talent reigns and hopefully will always.

We both applaud your courage and tenacity of spirit; it will serve you well for your recovery. We donnot know you well, but admiring you from afar, we offer you our warmest most heartfelt support for the difficult times ahead. We hope the best for you. We will think of you often. As Chicago's finest and most innovative chef, you have our total support. Fight Grant, with all the passion you can muster! And win! Judy and Joe Gebhart