• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get Well Soon, chefg (Grant Achatz)

ulterior epicure

[Moderator's Note: Earlier today, chefg, Chef Grant Achatz, wrote the post below in the Alinea topic (click here for that post). We've created this topic in member news to enable our members to share their wishes for a strong and speedy recovery. -- CA]

I wanted to personally report that I have been very recently diagnosed with an advanced stage of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the mouth.  I have consulted several prominent physicians and will likely begin aggressive treatment within the next few weeks.  I remain, and will remain, actively and optimistically engaged in operations at Alinea to the largest extent possible.  Alinea will continue to perform at the level people have come to expect from us -- I insist on that.  I have received amazing support from friends, family, and everyone who has thus far been told of the disease, and I look forward to a full, cancer-free, recovery.

ChefG,

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but am happy to hear that you remain positive and upbeat. Thank you very much for sharing this bit of personal news with the boards. I wish you the best in your treatment.

u.e.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I wanted to personally report that I have been very recently diagnosed with an advanced stage of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the mouth.  I have consulted several prominent physicians and will likely begin aggressive treatment within the next few weeks.  I remain, and will remain, actively and optimistically engaged in operations at Alinea to the largest extent possible.  Alinea will continue to perform at the level people have come to expect from us -- I insist on that.  I have received amazing support from friends, family, and everyone who has thus far been told of the disease, and I look forward to a full, cancer-free, recovery.

Chefg, although our meeting in your kitchen was fleeting to say the least, rest assured that you will be in our thoughts. Myself and Hazel wish you all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Simon

This is certainly a shock, but I have no doubt that you will do just fine and beat the problem and I have no doubt that the restaurant will continue to function as it always has when you need to be absent. My heart and thoughts are with you.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

While we have never met nor have I had the pleasure of eating in your restaurant I have been delighted and facinated by your creations that have been detailed on this site. I just wanted to wish you my best and for a speedy recovery.

I have recently just recovered from an operation to remove some Squamous Cell Carcinoma (in March) and am very familiar with the procedures, etc. If you have any questions or would like to discuss my experience with the operation I had, recovery, etc. please don't hesitate to PM me. I would also be glad to provide you with my email address for direct communication as well.

Best,

-Scott

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I am very sorry to hear this. I wish you the best in your recovery.

My very kindest thoughts are with you and yours, ChefG. As opportunity allows, please keep in touch with us all and let us know if, and how, we can help.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

All good thoughts and wishes for a fast and full recovery, ChefG. If you should need it, I can help with information on cancer patient resources in Chicago, as well as medline research.

Best to you and yours.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Aloha chefG: I'll remember you in my prayers and am sure that you are surrounded by friends and family who will give you the strength and support you need at this time.

Keep positive and stay strong. Mekealoha Pumehana and God bless you.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Grant,

Although we have met in passing and at your restaurant, I wanted to express my support. Things will work out. I have one of your externs on my staff and I hope to one day gain the respect he has for you. If you ever need any coverage at your restaurant in a hurry myself and your extern James Fuchs would be there.

Keep your head up.

Jon Dubrick

Chef - my very best wishes to you and yours. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are a man of great talent and perseverance. I have no doubt you will beat this with your usual aplomb. You are surrounded not only by family and friends that are near, but by many of us from afar that wish you a speedy recovery.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol