• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Idea for a makeshift smoker

chappie

For three summers now, I've been smoking pork butts on a regular, large Weber grill. I've gotten excellent results, but it's quite tedious because, every time I need to check the fire, add wood chips, etc., I have to remove the butt, then the grate, then replace them before putting the lid back on.

Here's my idea for a way around this. I also have a small Weber that sits low to the ground. I want to, using the thicker aluminum (the type you can extend out, but I'll keep it compacted for thickness) dryer vent tubing, connect the top vent of the small grill to the lower vent of the big one. That way the little grill can serve as my offset smoke box.

My only quandry is how to affix the tubing in a temporary way so it can be removed between smokings. I'm thinking either some sort of fitting for both ends to which I can (using high-temp glue) affix magnetic stripping; or cut flanges out from the tubing and do the same; or attach fittings to both grills that accept the pipe firmly.

Anyone seen this done before or have advice on how to make it work?

Never heard of it but I guess it could happen. Would you vent the smoke in through the ash cleanout on the bottom? What abot maintaing a consistent temperature? Would it be easier to vent the large Weber (smoke & heat) into another meat box of some sorts, like an old VW? Not very nourishing but food for thought.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

My only quandry is how to affix the tubing in a temporary way so it can be removed between smokings. I'm thinking either some sort of fitting for both ends to which I can (using high-temp glue) affix magnetic stripping; or cut flanges out from the tubing and do the same; or attach fittings to both grills that accept the pipe firmly.

Magnets seem iffy to me since their properties are affected by heat.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For three summers now, I've been smoking pork butts on a regular, large Weber grill. I've gotten excellent results, but it's quite tedious because, every time I need to check the fire, add wood chips, etc., I have to remove the butt, then the grate, then replace them before putting the lid back on.

Here's my idea for a way around this. I also have a small Weber that sits low to the ground. I want to, using the thicker aluminum (the type you can extend out, but I'll keep it compacted for thickness) dryer vent tubing, connect the top vent of the small grill to the lower vent of the big one. That way the little grill can serve as my offset smoke box.

Anyone seen this done before or have advice on how to make it work?

What you described -- or something very like it -- is likely to work. People make smokers out of all kinds of things, from old refrigerators (yeah, really) to used propane tanks (not recommended unless you know what you're doing. Cutting them with a torch is dangerous). I built one out of two 55-gallon drums myself a few summers ago, and actually just had 50 people at the house for a party on Saturday. 14 racks of ribs, six chickens, pulled pork, and a keg. Exactly what I had in mind when I built the thing, and now it's an annual event.

You should know, though, that Weber makes an aftermarket grate with hinges on two sides so it can be flipped open for coals to be added without having to be removed.

FYI, this is a really good resource: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

How about a cheap version like this:

Alton Brown did it.

He also made one using a couple of large clay flowerpots.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

well alton brown did it with moving boxes... for smoking his salmon show... he also did another one which is called scrap iron chef which he used old gym lockers to make a cold smoker. let me know if you need more info.. too much to type here..

As JohnnyH said above, by far the easiest thing to do is buy a hinged cooking grate. Here is the link to the grate for Weber's 22 1/2 inch grill:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...X/egulletcom-20

They make a smaller one for the 18 inch grill. You can buy these at just about any place that sells Weber accessories. Try the hinged grate before doing anything more complicated.

I've been smoking food on my Weber for years using the hinged grate. I've also used Alton Brown's flowerpot smoker, which is fun but much more difficult to use because you have to take the whole thing apart to replace the fuel.

Hi,

Jacques Pepin created a refrigerator cold smoker using wood chips in a flower pot with an electric charcoal starter for the heat. (See "La Technique" or "Celebrates")

I copied the same concept to a make a garbage can cold smoker. This smoker provides lots of smoke with almost NO increase in temperature in the smoking chamber. That is real cold smoking and makes the best smoked salmon.

Here is the smoker just before the salmon goes on the grate and the top is affixed:

gallery_20595_4914_57556.jpg

The cost is under $50 and it performs nicely.

Tim

I have thought on it some more and I think what I want to do is have my neighbor weld a fitting around both the small grill's top vent and the large grill's bottom vent, that will accept the tubing, which can then be cinched with a metal ring clamp. That way I can always remove the connector tube and still retain the original functionality of each grill.

I'm going to talk with him tomorrow and hopefully soon I'll have some photos of the results.

One more thing: if I do this, is there a way to add a thermometer on the receiving grill (large one) that will tell me the temperature inside? Something I could affix by drilling a small hole, for example?

I want to do this right, get me butts and such down to a science. Also, any easily foraged or obtained additions like wild herbs or woods to add green to a smoking fire?

First thing, DO NOT use the dryer hose you started out with in this thread. A dryer can only exceed 212 degrees by a small amount and the hose is made to deal with that. It isn't food safe. You don't really want the off gassing plastic products in/ on your food. Maybe your shorts but not your food.

To find all the smoker plans in the world- well sort of- go here:http://www.google.com/search?q=smoke+ring&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS226US226

Smokers aren't that hard to do. Want cold smoke, lengthen the metal pipe between the fire-box and the product location box. Sorry, I bet there are some really specific words to describe this, I don't know them.

Robert

Seattle

You've got the wrong idea on the "dryer hose," and it's my fault probably for not describing it properly. What I intent to use is metal, pretty rigid when compressed but can be pulled apart. I'm not going to pull it apart. I'm not using either the plastic stuff or the real flimsy aluminum-coated stuff. This is all metal.

Sort of like this, but the one I found at my hardware store looks even thicker.

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=1012445

Edited by chappie (log)

You should just buy a Chargriller with side smoker box attachment. It should cost you all of about $100 at your local Menards or whatever local home improvement store you frequent.

We used to be huge Weber afficionados until we bought the Chargriller. Now we loan out the Weber to the church next door or neighbors and don't really care if it ever comes back.

Can't be beat--a four part grate system inside that can be moved around easily with the tool that comes with it. The smoker box for just slow smoking--easy to add fuel without disrupting the temp of the main grill.

You can certainly realize what you're talking about, with the duct work, etc., but in my mind it would be easier to just buy the Chargriller (but don't set it up for the rotisserie--leaves holes that make it harder to regulate the heat).

And no, I don't work for Chargriller.

This is called a 'Tab Collar' and comes in few diameter sizes. I think you need 4". They cost a buck fitty.

gallery_39290_4300_16226.jpg

Fold the part marked in red inward (you don't need it), and drill three or four 1/8" holes (blue dots) through the flange and your grill cover and rivet together.