• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchenaid Architect Series II appliances

Frog1879

My wife and I are buying a house this Friday and are looking to upgrade the appliances. Unfortunately I've been overruled on a full-on professional style range (at least for now), but I still am getting an upgrade because the kitchen currently has an electric range.

Since we're doing the range anyway we've decided to get the refrigerator and dishwasher at the same time so we can get matching appliances. Has anyone had any experience with the Kitchenaid Architect II Series of appliances? We're looking at one of the bottom freezer fridges with French doors, a hidden panel dishwashwer, and the duel fuel, continuous grate slide-in range.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Frog

I don't have any personal experience but I've been considering a range upgrade myself for awhile. With that in mind I've been scanning Consumer Reports magazine when they review ranges. I don't necessarily agree with CR's subjective opinions on a number of topics but the Reliability / Rate of Repairs numbers are based on feedback from readers who have purchased the rate brands.

Kitchenaid seems to come in consistently low in that area although I don't recall what the comments on functionality were.

Two brands that do seem to get markedly better reliability ratings - and I have read some favorable comments on them in this forum - are Bosch and GE Monogram.

I happen to have a 40" space for my range and it's on an outside wall. The previous home-owner was at one time the co-owner of a small restaurant and I think he had his own dream of a commercial range in the house - it's now infected me :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I was very interested in the Monogram ranges early on but cost took that one out of the equation. A quick look at the Bosch Integra line is very encouraging. Similar design to the KitchenAid and if they're more reliable that's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

I have a Kitchen Aid Architect Series dishwasher, and I love it. We have a hidden control panel, which drives Mr. FB nuts because he can never tell if it's running or not, and invariably opens it during cycle.

It's efficient and looks good, and I'm keeping it for the new kitchen -- we're simply having a stainless panel put on.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office