• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

As the name suggests, I am new at this, but live in Chicago and would LOVE to come to the bash!

Welcome to eGullet, newbie21! Oh, yes -- do not miss it. You will eat some incredible food and meet some outstanding people.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Any suggestions on where to stay?

I'm sure people have their favorites and for some attendees, coming to Chicago will be a big enough trip that staying near the Saturday venue may not be important. But, I'm going to hold off on making any recommendations on lodging until the Saturday venue is confirmed. And when I do make those recommendations, they'll be based largely on geography. Since I live here, I'm not very knowledgeable about how individual places are. Hopefully, some others can provide solid guidance on the lodging front.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Any suggestions on where to stay?

I'm sure people have their favorites and for some attendees, coming to Chicago will be a big enough trip that staying near the Saturday venue may not be important. But, I'm going to hold off on making any recommendations on lodging until the Saturday venue is confirmed. And when I do make those recommendations, they'll be based largely on geography. Since I live here, I'm not very knowledgeable about how individual places are. Hopefully, some others can provide solid guidance on the lodging front.

=R=

I figured I'd stay in Lucas' room - I'm pretty sure I'm still bigger than he is and I know I'm meaner :raz:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I was looking for what part of town might be the most convenient.  I'll keep checking the thread.

Thanks, Heather :smile:

I'll try to get this sewn up asap, so people can start making their lodging and transportation arrangements.

=R=

Below is a list of folks who've expressed interest (on this thread) in attending at least some portion of the Gathering in August. Please take a look at the list and let me know if you're on it -- and in the proper form. If not, I will make changes to indicate your correct current status. Please let me know if you're in, out or not sure. Also, please let me know how many you expect to be. If you plan to be solo at some events and with companions/family at others, please indicate the larger number. We'll get more specific with these numbers down the road, when the detailed planning begins.

Thanks,

=R=

ronnie +2

hjshorter +1 ?

newbie21

moosnsqrl

osnav ?

Fresser

Lady T

tino27

cat lancaster

Marmish

joiei

Kerry Beal

Alex

Alchemist

Jean Blanchard +1

rockandroller +1 ?

elfin +1

CaliPoutine

NancyH +1

LuckyGirl +1

Sam Iam +1

torakris

prasantrin

santo_grace

nsxtasy +1

dls

Elrushbo

snowangel

tammylc

Palladion ?

jesteinf +1

SundaySous

LindsayAnn

maggiethecat +1

LAZ +1 ?

docsconz ?

nr706 +1

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Updated list . . .

ronnie +2

hjshorter +1 ?

newbie21

moosnsqrl

osnav ?

Fresser +1

Lady T

tino27

cat lancaster

Marmish

joiei

Kerry Beal

Alex

Alchemist

Jean Blanchard +1

rockandroller +1

elfin +1

CaliPoutine +1

NancyH +1

LuckyGirl +1

Sam Iam +1

torakris

prasantrin +1

santo_grace +1

nsxtasy +1

dls

Elrushbo

snowangel

tammylc

Palladion ?

jesteinf +1

SundaySous

LindsayAnn

maggiethecat +1

LAZ +1 ?

docsconz ?

nr706 +1

=R=

I would love to attend (at least the weekend events).

Add a +1 for me as well. I have a friend who may be joining us for the festivities.

Done!

Updated list . . .

ronnie +2

hjshorter

newbie21

moosnsqrl +1

osnav ?

Fresser +1

Lady T

tino27 +1

cat lancaster

Marmish

joiei

Kerry Beal

Alex

Alchemist

Jean Blanchard +1

rockandroller +1

elfin +1

CaliPoutine +1

NancyH +1

LuckyGirl +1

Sam Iam +1

torakris

prasantrin +1

santo_grace +1

nsxtasy +1

dls

Elrushbo

snowangel

tammylc

Palladion ?

jesteinf +1

SundaySous

LindsayAnn

maggiethecat +1

LAZ +1 ?

docsconz ?

nr706 +1

hsm

edsel

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Ronnie,

I will be "+1" for some of the events but not all. Not sure if you're looking at a best-case (or worst-, depending on your perspective :laugh:) scenario or just shooting for a ball-park estimate. Once the schedule starts getting fleshed out (and tee times are made) I'll give more specific info.

Thanks.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

You rock.  Also, it's probably just me, no +1.

I will be "+1" for some of the events but not all.

Add me to the list.  :smile:

Duly noted :smile:

=R=