• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Tammy (et al),

I have been planning to BBQ some form of pork but if we're already too meatcentric, I would be happy change my plan and bring an appetizer, salad or side dish instead.

What do you think?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hi all,

Posted below is the prospective menu for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan.  This is, of course, subject to change but it should be a glorious and enjoyable feast, even if the menu gets tweaked a bit from here . . .

- Spicy Szechuan cabbage

- Sliced Beef & Maw - Szechuan style

- Pork in Peking Sauce (aka Pork Candy)

- Chengdu dumplings

- Tony's 3-chili chicken (aka Chicken Crack)

- Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

- Lamb with cumin

- Dry Chili Prawns (w/ shell)

- Crispy shrimp with mayonnaise sauce

- Boiled beef in Spicy Szechaun sauce.

- Eggplant in garlic sauce

- Szechwan green beans

- Chef's Special Dry Chili Chicken

- Stir fried potherb with garlic

- Pot herb (yu choy) with ground pork

- Stir-fried sliced potato with fresh chili

- Szechuan Spicy Rabbit w/bone

- Szechuan pickle

=R=

AW, MAN! That looks friggin' awesome! :wub:

Ronnie, I'm guessing you told them to make everything authentically spicy?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Tammy (et al),

I have been planning to BBQ some form of pork but if we're already too meatcentric, I would be happy change my plan and bring an appetizer, salad or side dish instead.

What do you think?

=R=

:shock: I've been looking forward to a BBQed or smoked meat (or salmon) product from you for the past five years, ever since the first Gathering. This one'll be barely worth attending otherwise.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

Is that the upgrade from the 39¢ pork?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hi all,

Posted below is the prospective menu for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan.  This is, of course, subject to change but it should be a glorious and enjoyable feast, even if the menu gets tweaked a bit from here . . .

- Spicy Szechuan cabbage

- Chengdu dumplings

- Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

- Lamb with cumin

- Szechwan green beans

- Szechuan pickle

=R=

Whoa there, some of us(maybe just me) are Supertasters. I can't handle a lot of spice.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Posted below is the prospective menu for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan. 

In all honesty, I told them nothing. This is one of those places that does what they do so well, I happily put myself -- and us -- in their hands. I've loved just about everything I've eaten at LSC over the years, pretty much as they have served it, so nothing needed to be said. Beyond that, though, my friend G Wiv, who eats there much more often than I do, helped put the menu together with Tony, the owner. So in all seriousness, I really did tell them nothing :rolleyes:

:shock:  I've been looking forward to a BBQed or smoked meat (or salmon) product from you for the past five years, ever since the first Gathering. This one'll be barely worth attending otherwise.

Say no more, BBQ'd pork it is, although I'm suddenly feeling some pressure :wink:

Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

Is that the upgrade from the 39¢ pork?

You order the quantity of pork you want in the dish via its cost, although I think $1 is the minimum buy-in :biggrin:

Posted below is the prospective menu for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan . . .

Whoa there, some of us(maybe just me) are Supertasters. I can't handle a lot of spice.

The dishes will be varied. Some, which are intended to be very spicy, will be served that way. Others are quite mild. Some are in between. I think this menu will have great balance in that regard.

=R=

-

=R=

I see we've got you hooked on those Szechuan potatoes! Jo-mel would be pleased!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Tammy (et al),

What do you think?

=R=

BBQ please! I am planning my side(s) to go with your BBQ!

Hi all,

- Spicy Szechuan cabbage

- Chengdu dumplings

- Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

- Lamb with cumin

- Szechwan green beans

- Szechuan pickle

=R=

Not quite what I meant, Cali. I guess I should have said, "authentically spiced". When I say authentically spiced, I mean that if a dish is supposed to be mild, it will still be mild, but if traditionally a dish is supposed to be spicy, then they won't dumb it down for American (or Canadian) palates.

There are far too many Chinese/American restaurants (not this one in particular, mind you) where I've asked for it to be authentically spiced and the dish comes out geared for the silly American who doesn't really know what he is asking for. It's usually only when I tell them to cook it the way that THEY would like to eat it and that I will still pay for it if it's too spicy that they finally relent.

So to me, authentically spiced = true to original dish, be it mild or spicy.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I have talked to Kerry a little bit about potentially picking her and Randi up in order to facilitate getting out to the workshop on time. If there's time, the easiest thing to do would be for them to get to Chicago, take a taxi to the hotel to drop things off, and for me to pick them up there and drive out to the chocolate workshop. I can fit 4 in my car (5 if they're small and friendly - it's tight for three in the back seat), so I could potentially bring others from the hotel too. If there's anyone else at the workshop with a car, that could give us more flexibility on the back end.

Kerry - can you post an updated list of who's planning to be at the workshop?

I can certainly be "phone central" for everyone and don't mind giving everyone my number to coordinate. If the returning train schedule is an issue I am willing to chauffeur afterwards.

This is the attendee roster I have, not sure if it's the most accurate:

Jean Blanchard - if not attending the bread wksp, likely driving

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

TammyLC

me

Kerry Beal

Chocolate workshop participants - updated list

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

tammylc

Marmish

I think we can do our thing in 2.5 hours if forced to, I'll make sure that I keep people in the loop if it looks like there is going to be a problem. I'm counting on my Canuck luck to get me there on time.

If everyone could PM me their phone and cell phone numbers for contact that would be excellent.

Now we talked about dipping - and there shall be dipping - but what shall we dip? Our ganache won't be set hard enough to cut given the time we have so we'll need to bring along a little something to dip.

If anybody local who will be at the Friday Chinese dinner has a good-quality camcorder (doesn't have to be HD but does have to be mini-DV or better) and would be willing to do me a small personal favor, please shoot me a PM.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Chocolate workshop participants - updated list

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

tammylc

Marmish

I think we can do our thing in 2.5 hours if forced to, I'll make sure that I keep people in the loop if it looks like there is going to be a problem.  I'm counting on my Canuck luck to get me there on time.

If everyone could PM me their phone and cell phone numbers for contact that would be excellent. 

Now we talked about dipping - and there shall be dipping - but what shall we dip?  Our ganache won't be set hard enough to cut given the time we have so we'll need to bring along a little something to dip.

So from that small number, if I'm picking up Kerry at the hotel, I can pick up anyone else who wants to meet there and take us all out to Marmish's house. Assuming Kerry's train gets in on time, we could even start a little earlier than previously planned. And since I can drive people back to the hotel as well, we have more flexibility on the tail end. Dinner doesn't start until 7:30.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Ronnie, what about baking dishes? Casseroles, 9x13 pans, pie dishes? Thanks.

More info from the church:

There are sheet pans, pyrex baking dishes and half-sheet 3" deep metal baking pans. Lots of pots, too.

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Ok folks, we're into the final 24 hours to purchase tickets to the big weekend. In case I haven't been completely clear, there are still plenty of spots open for each of the events, so even if you did not previously sign-up on this thread, you are still welcome to attend any or all of them. If that's the case, please just post here or shoot me a pm and I will send you a pm with the links you will need to officially sign up.

Because of the flurry of activity that is sure to take place at each of the events -- and because we want to provide each of the establishments we are visiting with adequate lead time -- we simply cannot accept payments at the door for any of these events. So please, if you would like to join us, let me know and I will make sure you have all the information you need to sign up.

Once 11:55 pm ET hits on Tuesday evening, we are essentially locked in with our numbers.

Thanks,

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to find fresh beets at the ethnic market just as readily as I would at the Evanston market?

If not, you could make arrangements for one of the the Farmer's Market shoppers to pick some up - that might be better in any case, in terms of getting fresh and local.

I'm pondering my course as well in the context of going on the ethnic market tour. LAZ - can you tell us what ethnic stops you have planned so I'll have some idea if I should have the Farmer's Marketers pick up anything?

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Guess I should tell you what I'm making for dessert!

I'll make a couple of either pear or apple boirrottes(?sp) and find some nice fruit to put over them with some heavy cream (don't think I'll bother to whip it unless someone is feeling strong and energetic).

Also if temperature and time permits we'll make some dark chocolate cups, pipe some creme brulee into them, and top with a disc of brulee'd sugar.

I'll make a couple of either pear or apple boirrottes(?sp) and find some nice fruit to put over them with some heavy cream (don't think I'll bother to whip it unless someone is feeling strong and energetic).

Also if temperature and time permits we'll make some dark chocolate cups, pipe some creme brulee into them, and top with a disc of brulee'd sugar.

Kerry,

I checked and I unfortunately do not have 6 or 7" cake pans. Sorry.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

I'd like to serve ice cream/gelato with my dessert.  Will I be able to find that anywhere near the church?  Would it be better for someone else to pick it up and bring it?

There is a Whole Foods at 1111 N Chicago, which is about 4 blocks south of the church (the church is at Chicago and Lake). The one near me carries gelato, so I'm assuming this one will also.

I'm not from Evanston, so am not aware of all the smaller stores/markets. I'm sure there is somewhere else I'm not thinking of.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Kerry,

Ok then, I guess Alex is still hauling them along. Thanks Alex!

Kerry,

Ok then, I guess Alex is still hauling them along. Thanks Alex!

You're welcome. No problem at all. Ronnie mentioned that there's a stand mixer at the church, so whipped cream certainly is an option.

Kerry, is one blowtorch enough or should I bring mine, too?

Randi, as Grace mentioned, Whole Foods undoubtedly will have an extensive selection of ice creams and gelati.