• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Any interest in attending The National Restaurant Association show? May 17th to to the twenty'th. Might be worth a separate thread.

Wonder how open Kendall College would be to putting something together memorable?

Venues at Kendall

American Import Tile Kitchen

The American Import Tile Kitchen (600 square feet) is Kendall’s smaller demonstration kitchen. It is ideal for cooking demonstrations, lectures, and private in-the-kitchen breakfasts, luncheons, and dinners. It also supports the Food Research Institute for on-site food preparation. The kitchen can accommodate 30-50 guests.

Wood-Mode Auditorium and Bisazza Kitchen

The Wood-Mode Auditorium and Bisazza Kitchen (3100 square feet) is Kendall’s largest demonstration venue. This extraordinary, stadium-style auditorium seats 180 guests and offers a state-of-the-art kitchen with the latest audio/visual studio technology. Pre-Function space surrounds the Auditorium. The Bisazza Kitchen is beautifully appointed with top of the line Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Franke appliances and fixtures, serving both as a prep kitchen and separate team-teaching and research venue.

Edited by SundaySous (log)

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

What drove the date for this past year (mid-July) was that the Church where we held the Saturday festivities was mostly booked up by the time we committed to them, leaving us only 2 choices.

I'd suggest finding the facility and getting available dates from them; that will narrow it down.

I will know more on this front shortly -- hopefully by the end of the week.

Might i recommend http://www.meetomatic.com/ as a simple way to start getting consensus on potential attendee availability? It's simple and easy to use, and much more "at a glance" than a bunch of replies in an eGullet post.

Once I have a selection of dates from the facility, this is probably the way to go. Thanks, Tammy, for the guidance.

I hope I can make it. I'll be working in San Francisco next summer, and I'm still unsure how my schedule's going to work out, but I'm definitely going to try my darnedest to get back to Chicago for the Gathering. Sounds like it might end up being a mega-event.

Definitely hope you'll be able to make it.

As of right now I'm free the entire summer, except for when I'm not (which as of now is unknown).  Please plan accordingly.  Thank you.

Duly noted :biggrin:

Any interest in attending The National Restaurant Association show? May 17th to to the twenty'th. Might be worth a separate thread.

Probably too early, based on previous Gatherings. We'll almost certainly be doing this in July or August.

Wonder how open Kendall College would be to putting something together memorable?

Not a bad thought, either.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I know this is really a long way off but I'm wondering if we're thinking about a date for this yet.  Suddenly, I have all sorts of plans being made for my summer and I really want to be able to participate in this!  I'll keep watching.

I'm thinking we should just extend this to the entire month of July! :biggrin:

Seriously, the first step should probably be to check with Kris on available dates, since she will be traveling the farthest.

=R=

:wub:

Thanks for thinking of me!

I won't be buying my summer tickets until February but I can say now that I will definitely be in the US for the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of August.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...
Hey kids!  Tell your friends about this thread and ask them to check in here. :biggrin::wink:

The only way we'll be able to choose the dates that work best for a majority of folks is for everyone to post here and let us know which dates would work best.  Obviously, it'll be hard to accomodate everyone, but as people weigh in, maybe a couple of weekends will become obvious choices.

Hopefully, in the next week or so, we'll be able to nail down something specific.

=R=

Hey, been offline for a while but very much hoping to attend the '08 Gathering. My only thought on July/August is that your growing season is a zone behind the nether regions of the Heartland so the really good summer bounty will need a nudge toward the August side. I've been known to fly there with 20# of tomatoes but security has made that a bit dodgier so don't make it too early.

I'm not sure my pagan self would be welcome in a monastery. Maybe this place would be more apt? :wink::rolleyes: Just kidding - wherever it is, looking forward. I just read the Saveur and it made me realize how many stones I've left unturned there.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 months later...

I wanted to give this thread a bump, as some of us may already be making summer plans and commitments.

Ronnie, is there any further facility-related information?

From the feedback we have so far, August 1-3 or 8-10 are the most likely dates. Does that sound right?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I wanted to give this thread a bump, as some of us may already be making summer plans and commitments.

From the feedback we have so far, August 1-3 or 8-10 are the most likely dates. Does that sound right?

Thanks, Alex. I was planning on bumping this myself this week. Yes, those seem to be the preferred dates.

Happy new year, everyone :smile:

I have an excellent lead on a facility for the Saturday afternoon/evening event. Let's try to choose the date by early next week and I'll see about locking us in at the venue.

Sound good?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Either date works for me! :biggrin:

Thanks, Alex. I was planning on bumping this myself this week. Yes, those seem to be the preferred dates.

Happy new year, everyone :smile:

I have an excellent lead on a facility for the Saturday afternoon/evening event. Let's try to choose the date by early next week and I'll see about locking us in at the venue.

Sound good?

=R=

Let me know when you've got the dates down, I'll need to put in for vacation. Thanks for all the work you're putting in to make this happen!

Slight preference for 8-10 but can make either work. And, Ronnie, let me know if I can help from afar. I know this doesn't just happen automagically.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I can work it out to come up for either of those dates.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I hereby offer the services of the Fressermobile to shuttle visitors to and 'fro.  I can seat four comfortably with room left over for luggage.

Without passengers inside, I can lug a 60" television or a like-sized amount of comestibles.

Can you fit a whole cow? I need one transported to my deep freeze.

I hereby offer the services of the Fressermobile to shuttle visitors to and 'fro.  I can seat four comfortably with room left over for luggage.

Without passengers inside, I can lug a 60" television or a like-sized amount of comestibles.

Can you fit a whole cow? I need one transported to my deep freeze.

It's a definite possibility--in exchange for some table scraps. :raz:

Seriously, I've moved friends with the Fressermobile before. It's cavernous inside.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Even though there's only a 50% chance I'll make it, can I vote for the weekend of the 8th? The weekend of the 1st is a long weekend for many Canadians, so travel will be hell-ish going to and from the US, especially for those who will be driving.

But since I'll be on holidays, either of those weekends would work.

edited 'cause I can't spell...

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Even though there's only a 50% chance I'll make it, can I vote for the weekend of the 8th?  The weekend of the 1st is a long weekend for many Canadians, so travel will be hell-ish going to and from the US, especially for those who will be driving.

But since I'll be on holidays, either of those weekeends would work.

Yeah Rona! I really hope you can make it. This weekend just keeps getting better and better!

At least so far, it looks like August 8-10 is the weekend for those who have a preference. Ronnie, are we OK with starting to move toward those dates?

(In my thoughts I was gently pulling for August 1-3 so that we could celebrate Lughnasadh together on the first, but I'm perfectly fine with the following weekend.)

FYI, from Wikipedia:

Lughnasadh marked the beginning of the harvest season, the ripening of first fruits, and was traditionally a time of community gatherings, market festivals, horse races and reunions with distant family and friends.
Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer