• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

nr706, please bring the fryer.

karen m, please bring the horseradish.

torakris, pleas bring chopsticks.

Shoes optional.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If you're planning on using CTA trains (aka "The El" or "The L") over the weekend, especially the Red Line, it would be good to read this construction information first.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If you're planning on using CTA trains (aka "The El" or "The L") over the weekend, especially the Red Line, it would be good to read this construction information first.

Yup. In a nutshell, the Red Line will be using the elevated tracks after 9 p.m. on Thursday, and starting 9 p.m. Friday for the rest of the weekend. They don't specify which way they will go around the Loop, but I assume it will be the same as the pattern used during the current diversion, running along Lake St. and Wabash Ave. (the north and east parts of the Loop).

The diversions won't be in effect on Thursday until after our dinner at Blackbird. Those traveling by el after the dinner at Blackbird, you will board the inbound Pink Line or Green Line train at Clinton and Lake. If you need to change to a Red Line train, during the diversion you can change trains at the first stop (Clark/Lake); the same platform is where the diverted southbound Red Line trains go, or you can walk to the opposite platform to pick up the northbound Red Line trains.

Those traveling by el after the Violet Hour, you will be taking the inbound Blue Line train. You can get off at Clark and Lake (underground), then go up the stairs/elevator/escalator to the elevated tracks where you can catch the diverted Red Line trains in either direction.

The diversions won't be in effect on Friday until after our dinner at Lao Sze Chuan. Those traveling by el after the Lao Sze Chuan dinner will still be able to catch the Red Line at the Cermak/Chinatown stop.

You can always ask any of us locals at dinner how to get where you're going.

Important schedule note about Thursday night's dinner at Blackbird

Hi all,

Tomorrow's Blackbird event will begin with a reception at 6 pm.  There will be passed hors d'ouevres and a cash bar.

The meal will begin promptly at 6:45.

Question--how important is it to bring the receipt from payment (on the page it said to print out the receipt and bring it to the event)? Our internet was down before we left Winnipeg, and I didn't get a change to print any of them out. Oops...

So from that small number, if I'm picking up Kerry at the hotel, I can pick up anyone else who wants to meet there and take us all out to Marmish's house. Assuming Kerry's train gets in on time, we could even start a little earlier than previously planned. And since I can drive people back to the hotel as well, we have more flexibility on the tail end. Dinner doesn't start until 7:30.

Would I be able to squeeze in, as well? I have CTA directions if you're already full, but I swear I don't take up too much room!

So from that small number, if I'm picking up Kerry at the hotel, I can pick up anyone else who wants to meet there and take us all out to Marmish's house. Assuming Kerry's train gets in on time, we could even start a little earlier than previously planned. And since I can drive people back to the hotel as well, we have more flexibility on the tail end. Dinner doesn't start until 7:30.

Would I be able to squeeze in, as well? I have CTA directions if you're already full, but I swear I don't take up too much room!

I was including you in the plan as well. Just meet in the lobby at 1!

I'm hitting the road now. If anyone needs to get in touch with me, my cell phone number is listed on my website (link below). See you all at Blackbird tonight!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I was including you in the plan as well. Just meet in the lobby at 1!

I'm hitting the road now. If anyone needs to get in touch with me, my cell phone number is listed on my website (link below). See you all at Blackbird tonight!

Drive Safely!!

Can anyone lend any Pyrex or ceramic pie plates or similarly sized shallow casseroles? In order to do my dish conveniently family style, I need one for each table.

If you need ceramic pie dishes, I have at least 2 I can bring.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Important schedule note about Thursday night's dinner at Blackbird

Hi all,

Tomorrow's Blackbird event will begin with a reception at 6 pm.  There will be passed hors d'ouevres and a cash bar.

The meal will begin promptly at 6:45.

Question--how important is it to bring the receipt from payment (on the page it said to print out the receipt and bring it to the event)? Our internet was down before we left Winnipeg, and I didn't get a change to print any of them out. Oops...

Don't worry about it. We have everyone's names, so it shouldn't be an issue.

If 2 people claim to be the same person, we'll let them fight it out for the right to the seat in question. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Bread Class -- Important Update

Those attending the bread workshop should read the following if you plan on driving to Karen's house tomorrow for the class.

Tom - Would you believe I have street cleaning on my block tomorrow from 9am-3pm.

Please advise everyone attending not to park on my side of the street with the Orange warning signs and park across the street.

My street is both north and south traffic.

- Karen

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Can anyone lend any Pyrex or ceramic pie plates or similarly sized shallow casseroles? In order to do my dish conveniently family style, I need one for each table.
I have 2 glass and one ceramic I can bring up on Saturday at 2.

I've bagged up the ingredients( except the flour) for my dessert. I'm out of nutmeg. If someone local can bring some( and a microplane if the nutmeg is whole), I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to have to buy an entire jar, when I only need a teaspoon.

Thanks!!

Those attending the bread workshop should read the following if you plan on driving to Karen's house tomorrow for the class.

Tom - Would you believe I have street cleaning on my block tomorrow from 9am-3pm.

Please advise everyone attending not to park on my side of the street with the Orange warning signs and park across the street.

- Karen

Well the street across from me had their side cleaned at 930am. Three cars got ticketed. Hopefully my side will also have a 930 cleaning. Then there will be plenty of room at 12 noon.

- Karen

Well the street across from me had their side cleaned at 930am. Three cars got ticketed. Hopefully my side will also have a 930 cleaning. Then there will be plenty of room at 12 noon.

When I lived in Cali, cars could get tickets for street cleaning up until it was over, even if the streets were cleaned early on.

When I lived in Cali, cars could get tickets for street cleaning up until it was over, even if the streets were cleaned early on.

The same thing is true in Evanston.

Note for those driving to the Evanston Farmers Market and/or the banquet at the church: They are VERY STRICT about enforcing parking rules in Evanston. Feed those meters where required (and yes, they really do enforce the meters up till 9:00 pm).

I'll bring one. I'll also bring a set of nesting, oval-shaped Corningware shallow casseroles.

Anyone have a silpat? Realize that if I'm going to brulee sugar with a blow torch, that there needs to be a heat safe surface - or there's gonna be a fire!

I have 2 glass and one ceramic I can bring up on Saturday at 2.

I'll bring one.  I'll also bring a set of nesting, oval-shaped Corningware shallow casseroles.

Thanks so much! This will give everybody more crusty bits and make serving much easier than one or two big baking dishes.

LAZ

Anyone have a silpat?  Realize that if I'm going to brulee sugar with a blow torch, that there needs to be a heat safe surface - or there's gonna be a fire!

I have a silpat, which I can bring.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.