• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Hi All,

I'm in need of some tamarind concentrate( not the pulp). If anyone who's going on the Ethnic tour comes across it, could you pick me up a bottle? I'll reimburse when I see you at the church. I've looked in London, ON for it and can't find it.

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

IMPORTANT SCHEDULE UPDATE ABOUT SATURDAY AT THE CHURCH

Hi all,

For a variety of logistical reasons, the start time Saturday at the church has been moved back to 2 pm CT (not 1 pm).

For anyone who is not going to the Farmers' Market or LAZ's Niles tour and still plans to help with the cooking or set-up, 2 pm would be a great time for you to arrive at the church. There's absolutely no reason to arrive there earlier. For those who are shopping/touring on Saturday morning, this change should allow you to enjoy less hectic lunches and arrive at the church well-fed and ready to go.

Also, fwiw, the church does not seem to have pie plates, so those needing them should probably arrange to bring their own or borrow them from someone.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Guess I should tell you what I'm making for dessert!

I'll make a couple of either pear or apple boirrottes(?sp) and find some nice fruit to put over them with some heavy cream (don't think I'll bother to whip it unless someone is feeling strong and energetic).

Also if temperature and time permits we'll make some dark chocolate cups, pipe some creme brulee into them, and top with a disc of brulee'd sugar.

Kerry,

I checked and I unfortunately do not have 6 or 7" cake pans. Sorry.

Ok then, I guess Alex is still hauling them along. Thanks Alex!

You're welcome. No problem at all. Ronnie mentioned that there's a stand mixer at the church, so whipped cream certainly is an option.

Kerry, is one blowtorch enough or should I bring mine, too?

Randi, as Grace mentioned, Whole Foods undoubtedly will have an extensive selection of ice creams and gelati.

I think one blowtorch should be enough.

I'll make a couple of either pear or apple boirrottes(?sp) and find some nice fruit to put over them with some heavy cream (don't think I'll bother to whip it unless someone is feeling strong and energetic).

Also if temperature and time permits we'll make some dark chocolate cups, pipe some creme brulee into them, and top with a disc of brulee'd sugar.

Kerry,

I have two 6in cake pans.

Kerry,

I have two 6in cake pans.

That should make Alex very happy, less to carry! Thank you.

Am I correct in assuming that I will be able to find fresh beets at the ethnic market just as readily as I would at the Evanston market?

If not, you could make arrangements for one of the the Farmer's Market shoppers to pick some up - that might be better in any case, in terms of getting fresh and local.

I'm pondering my course as well in the context of going on the ethnic market tour. LAZ - can you tell us what ethnic stops you have planned so I'll have some idea if I should have the Farmer's Marketers pick up anything?

You should expect to find all kinds of meat, seafood and produce. I would guess that beets and any other Midwest-grown fruit and vegetables will be best from the farmer's market, though.

We'll be visiting three European deli/butcher shops, two Asian markets and a Middle Eastern store. I've scheduled so we'll have the most time at the largest stores, but you can see we aren't going to be able to spend much time at any one place -- with so many of us, just getting in and out and from place to place is going to take longer than I'd originally counted on.

Now that the starting time at the church has been pushed back to 2 p.m., we may be able take in some special requests after lunch, so if there's anything anyone needs that we didn't get in the morning, I can direct you to other stores, or folks can go back to spend more time somewhere. There's a good greengrocer in the area and some wonderful multi-ethnic supermarkets I couldn't fit in. Also, there is a Costco.

Update:

Ethnic shopping tour

9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9 (including lunch)

Niles ethnic grocers (list)

This tour will start off at 9 a.m. from Niles. Everyone on the list below should have received a PM from me with the meeting place and a link to further info, directions and a map.

Plan to arrive early if you'd like coffee or a morning nosh before we leave. If you think you will have trouble getting to Niles, please send me a PM as soon as possible and let me know where you will coming from.

Ethnic lunch will cost about $13 each, including a beverage, tax and tip. It will be easiest if everyone brings cash. We will also have a mid-morning snack that will cost about $2 each.

Drivers, if I have wrongly estimated the number of available seats in your car, please let me know. The number in brackets is car seats including the driver.

LAZ+1 [6]

tammylc* [4]

Jean Blanchard+1* (**[2])

LuckyGirl+2*(**[3])

torakris

white lotus+1

Fresser* [4]

Fat Guy

tino27's Chris

NancyH

edsel* [4]

prasantrin's mom

nyokie6+1

ronnie_suburban* (+2**[3])

Total: 15 + 7 probable

*Additional drivers [total car seats: 26]

(**)probable

LAZ

There is a Whole Foods at 1111 N Chicago, which is about 4 blocks south of the church (the church is at Chicago and Lake).   The one near me carries gelato, so I'm assuming this one will also.

True, but that's not the closest Whole Foods to the church. There is another Whole Foods about two blocks north of the church, at 1640 Chicago Avenue. It's not only slightly closer, but it's also on the way from the Farmers Market to the church. Yes, they carry gelato at both. If you're driving, parking is generally easier at the one south of the church, although there is a city garage (first hour free) kitty-corner from the one north of the church that is a good bet on Saturdays when the WF lot is crowded.

In case you're wondering why there are two Whole Foods in such close proximity, the one further south was previously a Wild Oats Market and was acquired with that chain.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

There is a Whole Foods at 1111 N Chicago, which is about 4 blocks south of the church (the church is at Chicago and Lake).   The one near me carries gelato, so I'm assuming this one will also.

True, but that's not the closest Whole Foods to the church. There is another Whole Foods about two blocks north of the church, at 1640 Chicago Avenue. It's not only slightly closer, but it's also on the way from the Farmers Market to the church. Yes, they carry gelato at both. If you're driving, parking is generally easier at the one south of the church, although there is a city garage (first hour free) kitty-corner from the one north of the church that is a good bet on Saturdays when the WF lot is crowded.

In case you're wondering why there are two Whole Foods in such close proximity, the one further south was previously a Wild Oats Market and was acquired with that chain.

I'm not driving, so maybe someone else can pick it up. Or, I can walk over and get it.

eta: nsxtasy, can you be my personal tour guide this weekend???? LOL

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I'm not driving, so maybe someone else can pick it up.  Or, I can walk over and get it.

eta:  nsxtasy, can you be my personal tour guide this weekend????  LOL

I figure I'll probably be around later on Saturday afternoon and will be happy to help with stuff like that, a Sam's Club run, other local type stuff!

I know that for last year's event, after all the farmer's markets were said and done, White Lotus and I took a trip to a local supermarket to pick up any of those "extra" items that people needed. I'm sure that will happen this year as well.

Gosh, I am really getting excited! :biggrin:

All that good food and more importantly, all that good camaraderie.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I know that for last year's event, after all the farmer's markets were said and done, White Lotus and I took a trip to a local supermarket to pick up any of those "extra" items that people needed. I'm sure that will happen this year as well.

If you need a more conventional supermarket (as distinguished from Whole Foods) - sometimes you need staples, or soft drinks, etc - there is a Jewel located on Chicago Avenue four blocks south of the church, across the street from the other Whole Foods.

Most every year Kris and I wind up producing a tempura item as an appetizer/snack. Does anybody local have an electric fryer or fry-capable electric skillet with a somewhat reliable thermostat?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Awesome. If you happen to have a huge inventory of oil, please feel free to bring along enough to fill the fryer. If not, we will get oil at whatever supermarket we use to acquire the tempura mix.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I could actually bring my charcoal Weber, but not sure if people indicated a preference for gas?

ETA: Also, when will people need it by? Not sure if I will be there promptly by 1:00 or whenever it is on Saturday that the event starts because may have to get some work done in the morning / early afternoon.

Edited by HOLLY_L (log)

Awesome. If you happen to have a huge inventory of oil, please feel free to bring along enough to fill the fryer. If not, we will get oil at whatever supermarket we use to acquire the tempura mix.

Kris is going to be *so* excited that you've volunteered her to make tempura. I believe her previous words were "never again."

Although the stuffed deep fried squash blossoms were totally awesome.

I haven't decided what to make for my amuse yet, so perhaps we can deep fry for that... Hmm. I'm waiting for inspiration to strike on the ethnic market tour.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Kris is going to be *so* excited that you've volunteered her to make tempura. I believe her previous words were "never again."

It's hard when you do it with chopsticks.

The thing is, there's always something at the farmer's market where the answer to "This looks great but what the heck can we do with it?" is "Tempura!"

I think we should try to incorporate horseradish into every course.

Important schedule note about Thursday night's dinner at Blackbird

Hi all,

Tomorrow's Blackbird event will begin with a reception at 6 pm. There will be passed hors d'ouevres and a cash bar.

The meal will begin promptly at 6:45.

See you all there! :smile:

=R=

Blackbird Restaurant

619 W Randolph St

Chicago, IL 60661

312 715-0708

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Although the stuffed deep fried squash blossoms were totally awesome.

Tammy you remembered very well! I think I already posted twice on this thread that I refuse to deep fry in addition to repeating many times over the past 2 years... :blink:

Steven, You do realize that I will most definitely be barefoot again and that always seems to freak out the other chefs. :unsure:

I was planning on just hanging back this year and watching everyone else do the work.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"