• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Can you still add me +1 to Lao Sze Chuan?

Yes. I just sent you a link with the sign-up info, via pm.

Really glad you will be joining us.

If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting a preliminary menu for this meal tomorrow afternoon.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

ETA:  Ronnie, does the church have enough platters?  I'll probably need two for my main dish salad.  I have some plastic ones from the dollar store that I can bring if need be.

Randi, remember that the plan is to serve everything family style. So you'll need one platter per table - assuming we're around 50 people, that will likely be 5 or 6 platters, depending on how many people we can fit at a table.

We'll see what the church has, and improvise from Costco if necessary.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'll be shopping at the Farmers' Market. I'll also be the Evanston coordinator for whatever isn't taken care of at LSC the night before.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

ETA:  Ronnie, does the church have enough platters?  I'll probably need two for my main dish salad.  I have some plastic ones from the dollar store that I can bring if need be.

Randi, remember that the plan is to serve everything family style. So you'll need one platter per table - assuming we're around 50 people, that will likely be 5 or 6 platters, depending on how many people we can fit at a table.

They routinely serve large-scale breakfasts and other meals at the church, so an adequate supply serving platters should not be an issue. There is seating for about 100, which is much closer to the number of attendees I thought we'd have when we started planning this. Tables are rectangular and will seat 8-10 but as long as we have the room, let's figure around 8 people per table.

=R=

I've also got about 5-6 nice ceramic platters I'd be happy to bring with me as well. Use them if you'd like, or not. I'm good either way.

Spoils of catering gigs. :biggrin:

ETA: By 'nice', I mean big. Perfect for family style service. Not fancy schmancy.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I was not planning on either Niles/Ethnic nor Farmers Market in Evanston.

If one of the chefs would like me to be part of the buying I'll arrive earlier.

Those who are planning to buy at the Farmer's Market, where have you decided to get together afterwards prior to the 1PM - opening of the kitchen? I would'nt mind if I joined you so I have an idea what kind of prep will be needed the first hour we start.

I am still planning to bring pre-made ratatouille that will only need a quick warming up.

Updated lists . . .

Please note, these lists now reflect how many people have paid and are confirmed. They do not reflect those attendees shown here as 'probable' who have subsequently paid. To check your specific status, please view the 'Attendee Lists' at EventBrite.com (by following the sign-up links provided in the pm's I sent on July 9)

48 hours remain to purchase tickets to these events. Ticket sales will end at 11:55 pm ET on Tuesday August 5.

Thursday Dinner at Blackbird

=R= +3

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1

-36- (34 definite, 2 probable)

12 spots remain for Thursday's dinner

31 paid and confirmed

Thursday Drinks at The Violet Hour

=R= +3

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

stuart_s*

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-39- (36 definite, 3 probable)

21 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

36 paid and confirmed

Updated list for the Friday night dinner at Lao Sze Chuan:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine +1

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

nr706 +1

-53- (53 definite, 0 probable)

27 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

49 paid and confirmed

Updated list for the Saturday dinner at Immanuel Lutheran Church:

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +1

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex +1

tammylc

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

Lady T

Amy Viny +1

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-62- (60 definite, 2 probable)

28 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

46 paid and confirmed

Again, please take a look at the above lists -- and the lists at EventBrite.com -- and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

They routinely serve large-scale breakfasts and other meals at the church, so an adequate supply serving platters should not be an issue. There is seating for about 100, which is much closer to the number of attendees I thought we'd have when we started planning this. Tables are rectangular and will seat 8-10 but as long as we have the room, let's figure around 8 people per table.

=R=

Ronnie, what about baking dishes? Casseroles, 9x13 pans, pie dishes? Thanks.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Those who are planning to buy at the Farmer's Market, where have you decided to get together afterwards prior to the 1PM - opening of the kitchen?  I would'nt mind if I joined you so I have an idea what kind of prep will be needed the first hour we start.

Some folks might have discussed this privately, but there's been no public discussion of a post-shopping rendezvous or a lunch venue. Based on history, this probably won't be decided until we meet at the market at 9, or perhaps the night before at LSC if all of the shoppers are there. If you like, we can get your phone number and call you when we decide. However, given the variety of easily accessible restaurants in Evanston (see posts 451 and 585), my guess is that we may or may not meet up after shopping, but may well follow diverse paths for coffee/lunch.

In a related issue, I certainly don't plan on schlepping a couple of watermelons and a peck or two of tomatoes around Evanston. :wacko: The market closes at 1:00, so my first thought is to ask the vendors if they can hold onto my purchases until 12:30-12:45, if they're not leaving early. Any other thoughts?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Those who are planning to buy at the Farmer's Market, where have you decided to get together afterwards prior to the 1PM - opening of the kitchen?  I would'nt mind if I joined you so I have an idea what kind of prep will be needed the first hour we start.

Some folks might have discussed this privately, but there's been no public discussion of a post-shopping rendezvous or a lunch venue. Based on history, this probably won't be decided until we meet at the market at 9, or perhaps the night before at LSC if all of the shoppers are there. If you like, we can get your phone number and call you when we decide. However, given the variety of easily accessible restaurants in Evanston (see posts 451 and 585), my guess is that we may or may not meet up after shopping, but may well follow diverse paths for coffee/lunch.

In a related issue, I certainly don't plan on schlepping a couple of watermelons and a peck or two of tomatoes around Evanston. :wacko: The market closes at 1:00, so my first thought is to ask the vendors if they can hold onto my purchases until 12:30-12:45, if they're not leaving early. Any other thoughts?

Wow, quite a flurry of emails and activities. As this is my first egullet Heartland gathering, it is all very exciting.

I plan on doing the farmers market.

Alex - I will have my car and can plan on put watermelons and tomatoes in it.

I also plan on bringing a blender, food processor and Kitchen Aid in case anyone needs it. I will not need any of these things for my dish. I am also bringing the pots and pans, and serving dishes I will need for my dish.

I do have platters and cake pans to bring if anyone needs them. Also, can bring baking powder, soda and other spices.

I will be at the Friday night dinner and can discuss logistics.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Wow, quite a flurry of emails and activities. As this is my first egullet Heartland gathering, it is all very exciting.

I also plan on bringing a blender, food processor and Kitchen Aid in case anyone needs it. I will not need any of these things for my dish. I am also bringing the pots and pans, and serving dishes I will need for my dish.

I do have platters and cake pans to bring if anyone needs them. Also, can bring baking powder, soda and other spices.

Grace, do you have a couple of 6 or 7 inch cake pans that would prevent Alex from having to bring them on the train?

Thanks, Grace. That would be extremely helpful. We'll need to be extremely diligent about locking the car after we drop off the produce. If we leave it open, when we return it's likely we'd find it filled to the roof with zucchini.

Grace, do you have a couple of 6 or 7 inch cake pans that would prevent Alex from having to bring them on the train?

I will check tonight when I get home from work. I think mine are bigger - 8 or 9 inch. I don't do a lot of baking.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Here's a chocolate workshop thought or two. I know we were aiming for a ~3-hour workshop, starting at about 2:00. However, there are a couple of potential flies in the ointment (or the ganache).

As I mentioned upthread, Kerry Beal's train, scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 11:14 a.m. often is significantly late. For example, over the past six days it was late by 1 hr, 34 min; 11 min; 1 hr 58 min; 2 hr 30 min; 42 min; 1 hr 4 min. There also are the variables of 1) whether Kerry needs to check in to the hotel first or is willing take the train directly from Union Station to Beth's house, if necessary, and/or 2) whether Kerry can get a ride with someone from the hotel or if she'll need to make her way back to Union Station or the Green Line. It's not far from Union Station to the Hyatt, but it's about an $8-10 cab ride each way.

Kerry, if you take the Metra commuter train from Union Station without first going to the hotel (and Randi is willing to take your luggage to the hotel), you can arrive up to about 2 hrs, 10 min late and still make the 1:40 Metra, arriving Mont Clare at 2:00, then about a 10-minute walk to Beth's. If you need to go to the hotel first, you probably can arrive up to about an hour and a half late. If you're willing to perhaps do some last-minute rushing, it would be appreciated, of course, but I for one would understand if there's too much risk and you thought it best to postpone the workshop for another Gathering.

If you're willing to give it a shot, the other issue is how do we know if the workshop is still on or if it's canceled because the train was just too late? My thought is that by the time the train is scheduled to depart Niles -- the last station before Chicago -- at 9:25 CDT, the conductor should have a reasonably good idea of the arrival time into Chicago. If it's going to be too late, perhaps you could call Beth, then whoever's attending could call and check. Beth, would that be OK by you?

The other potential fly is that with our starting the workshop at about 2:15, the most likely return train departs Mont Clare at 5:05, which means leaving the house no later than 5:50, which means it'll be about a 2½-hour workshop. Kerry, is that enough time?

I hope this all made sense. Please add your own thoughts and ideas.

I have talked to Kerry a little bit about potentially picking her and Randi up in order to facilitate getting out to the workshop on time. If there's time, the easiest thing to do would be for them to get to Chicago, take a taxi to the hotel to drop things off, and for me to pick them up there and drive out to the chocolate workshop. I can fit 4 in my car (5 if they're small and friendly - it's tight for three in the back seat), so I could potentially bring others from the hotel too. If there's anyone else at the workshop with a car, that could give us more flexibility on the back end.

Kerry - can you post an updated list of who's planning to be at the workshop?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

The Meat team is seriously considering a variation on "Chicken and Waffles" - and especially since the kitchen isn't air conditioned, we'd love to have a charcoal (or gas) grill available - can someone local bring one??

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

The Meat team is seriously considering a variation on "Chicken and Waffles" - and especially since the kitchen isn't air conditioned, we'd love to have a charcoal (or gas) grill available - can someone local bring one??

I could use it too for the fish portion of my salad.

I have talked to Kerry a little bit about potentially picking her and Randi up in order to facilitate getting out to the workshop on time. If there's time, the easiest thing to do would be for them to get to Chicago, take a taxi to the hotel to drop things off, and for me to pick them up there and drive out to the chocolate workshop. I can fit 4 in my car (5 if they're small and friendly - it's tight for three in the back seat), so I could potentially bring others from the hotel too. If there's anyone else at the workshop with a car, that could give us more flexibility on the back end.

That's great, Tammy. We'll still need a way of knowing if the train is simply too late, even with a ride from the hotel. Perhaps you and Kerry could decide on the absolute latest possible arrival time, then the participants could call Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL, train #365) to check.

That's great, Tammy. We'll still need a way of knowing if the train is simply too late, even with a ride from the hotel. Perhaps you and Kerry could decide on the absolute latest possible arrival time, then the participants could call Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL, train #365) to check.

Totally OT, but how can a train be 2.5 hrs late??? Its not like there is traffic. Oy, its going to be a long day :rolleyes:

I could use it too for the fish portion of my salad.

I wish I had one to bring but with the exception of my smoker -- which I will be using all day -- my cookers are all too big to transport.

Does anyone own a grill they could bring over to the church, without it being too much of a burden?

Thanks,

=R=

Totally OT, but how can a train be 2.5 hrs late??? Its not like there is traffic. Oy, its going to be a long day :rolleyes:

The most consistent contributor is that Amtrak doesn't own the track in Michigan, so freight trains get priority. Sometimes the train has to travel slower than anticipated or simply stop for a while. There also can be mechanical problems with crossing gates, track-switching mechanisms, control lights, etc. Remind me to tell you the story of when the crew hit their limit about ten minutes out of New Buffalo, and we had to wait on the train for a new crew to arrive from Chicago.

Edited by Alex (log)

Our plan is to make our dessert at home, and bring it fully-prepared to the banquet. It will be logistically easier that way (especially since some of it requires advance preparation and chilling).

I know it's not PC environmentally - but it is hard to beat Costco (and - I suppose - similar discount clubs - I'm just a member at Costco) for disposable everythings - including chafing dishes - for a relatively large gathering.  Robyn

There's a Costco on Touhy in Skokie, which is close to Niles for those going to those markets on Saturday morning. In Evanston itself, there's a Sam's Club; if you find that you need something during the afternoon on Saturday, call me (Ronnie has my number) and I can run over there and get whatever you need.

Heartland Gathering Feast Update

I tried to organize the planned food a little bit to get a sense of where we're sitting in terms of a course progression. Last year we ended up with a lot of main dish items but no sides. We look to be better on that front this year! And for people who haven't fully decided on what they're making yet, you have some sense of where other people are sitting.

I also made some notes about cooking methods so we can ensure we're not going to run into traffic jam around different pieces of equipment. If I've misrepresented you, please let me know!

Bread

Tino27 - 3 loaves of honey whole wheat bread, 3 loaves of Red and Black bread, 3 loaves of olive rosemary bread, 2 loaves of sweet potato bread

Pre-Dinner Noshing -

nyokie6 & LAZ - cheese

HOLLY_L - chicken liver pate

CaliPoutine - Fig jam

White Lotus & Dance Pacific - Northwest treats

White Lotus - Tea

Dinner

Apps:

tammylc - Amuse (unknown)

Alex - Soup (cool) (blender)

LAZ - Shrimp DeJonghe (oven)

Mains:

CaliPoutine - Composed Salad - includes fish (grill?)

Ronnie Suburban - BBQ (smoker)

NancyH/Bob/Edsel - Meat (Chicken and waffles?) (grill?, waffle maker)

Sides:

Marmish - Salad or Side (unknown)

Lucky Girl - Beets 3 Ways (unknown)

Karen M - Ratatouille (premade, oven)

santo_grace - Corn/Bacon/Cream pasta (stovetop)

Dessert

Kerry Beal (unknown)

CaliPoutine (oven?)

nsxtasy (premade)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Hi all,

Posted below is the prospective menu for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan. This is, of course, subject to change but it should be a glorious and enjoyable feast, even if the menu gets tweaked a bit from here . . .

- Spicy Szechuan cabbage

- Sliced Beef & Maw - Szechuan style

- Pork in Peking Sauce (aka Pork Candy)

- Chengdu dumplings

- Tony's 3-chili chicken (aka Chicken Crack)

- Ma Po Tofu w $2 pork

- Lamb with cumin

- Dry Chili Prawns (w/ shell)

- Crispy shrimp with mayonnaise sauce

- Boiled beef in Spicy Szechaun sauce.

- Eggplant in garlic sauce

- Szechwan green beans

- Chef's Special Dry Chili Chicken

- Stir fried potherb with garlic

- Pot herb (yu choy) with ground pork

- Stir-fried sliced potato with fresh chili

- Szechuan Spicy Rabbit w/bone