• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

I remember that somewhere upthread someone (Ronnie?) mentioned the possibility of bringing small appliances or other equipment that the church kitchen might not have. I'll be in need of one or two large strainers or colanders (medium to fine mesh), and one or, preferably, two, blenders. Would a Chicagoland someone be able to bring any of these? Thanks!

I have strainers, 4 sizes. Medium colander ( size of a cabbage ). I'll bring my Cuisineart. Mandoline, whisks, spatulas. A tool chest of items, peelers, thread, string, scissors, poultry pins, cutting boards.

Any idea of the recipes???

- Out of towners - Chefs - pm me if you need something specific.

Meat-wise, I've informed my butcher, Dave Zier, that some of us will probably be doing a little shopping at his place next Saturday. Of course, no one is under any obligation to shop there but he does have great stuff, IMO.

In any case, if anyone does want to shop there and they might want something offbeat or unusual, please let me know right away, so I can let Dave know to start working on sourcing it for us.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Can one or two of the locals plan to bring the contents of their spice cabinents, so we're not buying jars of things just for a couple of tsp? Plus salt, pepper, etc - the basic staples that we all rely on, but that won't be in a rental kitchen.

Dessert bakers - think about this in the context of baking powder/soda etc too - maybe if you can post about basics that you'll need, we can find someone to bring them.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Also if any gardeners have assorted fresh herbs growing, it's really useful to have those on hand. All those little things -- herbs, spices and other staples -- really add up and can divert the budget away from the big-ticket items.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It looks like all of our cooks except for Marmish are planning to attend the dinner at Lao Sze Chuan on Friday. I can talk to Marmish during the chocolate workshop, but for the rest of you, can we plan to either a) sit at the same table or b) gather for a short meeting after dinner to coordinate plans and budgets.

As Ronnie noted above, the attendance numbers are down from what was originally proposed, so we will be spreading the church rental across fewer attendees, which cuts down on the money available for food. We should still have plenty, but will need to be a little more thoughtful and potentially frugal about our choices.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Also if any gardeners have assorted fresh herbs growing, it's really useful to have those on hand. All those little things -- herbs, spices and other staples -- really add up and can divert the budget away from the big-ticket items.

I have some basil Italian and Thai. Oregano to choke a horse. Some chives too.

Fresh laurel and dried bay. Fresh thyme.

Indian spices- cardomon pods, cardomon seeds, Ground coriander and cumin.

I have a small amount of duck fat. About a cup.

Fresh lemon grass.

Fresh Rosemary.

Kosher salt, sea salt, grey and some pink.

Hungarian paprika hot and sweet.

Does any one need chicken broth? I can make a batch - 1 quart 2 quarts?

PM - me if you need something special. I may have it.

Any body local have a blow torch? We are thinking about making creme brulee chocolates (a la Kee's) and thought we could top them with some bruleed sugar.

Any body local have a blow torch?  We are thinking about making creme brulee chocolates (a la Kee's) and thought we could top them with some bruleed sugar.

I have a small one (~6½" high) I could pack; it wouldn't take up much room in my suitcase.

I'm also bringing some sel gris for the soup I plan to make.

If someone(s) wants to prune back their peppermint, I can use all you're willing to bring.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks Alex.

Another question - anyone have a couple of charlotte pans or some 6 or 7 inch deep cake pans? Springforms would work.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

...Will we need to rent tableware, or just go with disposable?  Wine glasses?

I know it's not PC environmentally - but it is hard to beat Costco (and - I suppose - similar discount clubs - I'm just a member at Costco) for disposable everythings - including chafing dishes - for a relatively large gathering. Robyn

I remember that somewhere upthread someone (Ronnie?) mentioned the possibility of bringing small appliances or other equipment that the church kitchen might not have. I'll be in need of one or two large strainers or colanders (medium to fine mesh), and one or, preferably, two, blenders. Would a Chicagoland someone be able to bring any of these? Thanks!

I have strainers, 4 sizes. Medium colander ( size of a cabbage ). I'll bring my Cuisineart. Mandoline, whisks, spatulas. A tool chest of items, peelers, thread, string, scissors, poultry pins, cutting boards.

Any idea of the recipes???

- Out of towners - Chefs - pm me if you need something specific.

Thanks, Karen. I'll need the strainer/colander for seeding tomatoes, to catch the seeds and allow the liquid to pass through to the bowl below. Either a blender or a food processor would do for making the soup, but the blender tends to do a more thorough job of pureeing.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Can one or two of the locals plan to bring the contents of their spice cabinents, so we're not buying jars of things just for a couple of tsp? Plus salt, pepper, etc - the basic staples that we all rely on, but that won't be in a rental kitchen.

Smack dab in the middle of the Niles Ethnic Tour route is Jerry's Produce & Garden at Oakton & Milwaukee Avenues in Niles. This would be a great place to pick up fresh spices and whatnot.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Ronnie - can you remind us - what equipment/supplies are available at the Church? 

Also, I want to remind those who do know and inform those who do not know that the church is not air conditioned. Right now, the forecast for next Saturday is 79 F and partly sunny, so while that could obviously change, hopefully the weather won't be an issue. In any event, prepare to dress accordingly.

=R=

Anyone plan on bringing some fans?

Dessert bakers - think about this in the context of baking powder/soda etc too - maybe if you can post about basics that you'll need, we can find someone to bring them.

Thanks!

I have a tellicherry pepper grinder that I bought for a catering job. Its plastic, from Costco and I'd planned to bring that along. I can also bring some fleur de sel.

ETA: Ronnie, does the church have enough platters? I'll probably need two for my main dish salad. I have some plastic ones from the dollar store that I can bring if need be.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Thanks Alex.

Another question - anyone have a couple of charlotte pans or some 6 or 7 inch deep cake pans?  Springforms would work.

I have two 5", one 6", and one 7" springform pans. If someone local could provide the pans, that would be easier, of course, but otherwise I'd be willing to bring mine. Lemme know...

Heartland Gathering Bread Class

Friday, August 8th

Noon - 5 PM

Another adjustment in attendance based on PMs.

Updated list of the students I have signed up:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

Jean Blanchard (*)

santo_grace

LuckyGirl +1 +1(*)

prasantrin's +1

(*) = probable/maybe

7 definites / 2 maybes

Let me know if there are any more adjustments in this list.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Just wondering . . . who is still planning on shopping in Evanston on Saturday morning? It seems, from the numbers, that many of our cooks are going on the Niles Tour with LAZ, which I have to say, sounds very interesting to me.

I suppose that, as Tammy posted above, if all our cooks -- with the exception of one -- are going to be at Lao Sze Chuan on Friday night (or either event on Thursday night), she can distribute shopping funds there and folks can simply shop where they prefer on Saturday.

So, please, if you're still planning on shopping in or near Evanston on Saturday morning, can you post here and let me know? I have absolutely no problem meeting folks at the market but if it's just going to be a handful of people -- who will also be at either Thursday or Friday night's events -- there may be no reason for me personally to be in Evanston on Saturday morning.

Instead, I could just meet everyone at the church at around 1 pm, after the Niles tour.

Thanks,

=R=

I recently told Tammy that if need be I could switch from Niles to Evanston in order to organize the Evanston group, but she was many steps ahead of me and had already arranged for someone to act as Evanston coordinator.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Just wondering . . . who is still planning on shopping in Evanston on Saturday morning?  It seems, from the numbers, that many of our cooks are going on the Niles Tour with LAZ, which I have to say, sounds very interesting to me.

I suppose that, as Tammy posted above, if all our cooks -- with the exception of one -- are going to be at Lao Sze Chuan on Friday night (or either event on Thursday night), she can distribute shopping funds there and folks can simply shop where they prefer on Saturday.

So, please, if you're still planning on shopping in or near Evanston on Saturday morning, can you post here and let me know?  I have absolutely no problem meeting folks at the market but if it's just going to be a handful of people -- who will also be at either Thursday or Friday night's events -- there may be no reason for me personally to be in Evanston on Saturday morning.

Instead, I could just meet everyone at the church at around 1 pm, after the Niles tour.

Thanks,

=R=

I was planning on shopping at the Farmer's market. I know my dessert will be fruit based and so far I think I'm going to make a salad nicoise and/or another type of composed salad. So, I was pretty excited about some heirloom veggies/fruit.

RE: Equipment at the church:

Freezer

Stand Mixer

Coffee makers

Flat-top grill (that is not so easy to work with)

Food processor

Lots of dishes and silverware

No Microwave

No BBQ Grill

No wine glasses

I will bring a few things, as space allows. I'm bringing my WSM smoker but will probably need it at its capacity for the duration of the prep time. I will also bring some disposable plastic cups, some spices, some paper napkins and/or paper towels and a few other things.

=R=

Both Bob (NancyH's +1) and I will be shopping at the Evanston market on Saturday morning.

ETA: NancyH, Bob, Edsel, and I will all be at Lao Sze Chuan on Friday night (if that helps).

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I'll be at the Farmer's Market, and since I live a few blocks from the church, I can bring over a vintage Osterizer, plus a hardware store-style blowtorch. What time should I bring stuff over? Anything else needed?

Both Bob (NancyH's +1) and I will be shopping at the Evanston market on Saturday morning.

ETA: NancyH, Bob, Edsel, and I will all be at Lao Sze Chuan on Friday night (if that helps).

I'd like to go to the market.

I was planning on shopping at the Farmer's market.  I know my dessert will be fruit based and so far I think I'm going to make a salad nicoise and/or another type of composed salad.  So, I was pretty excited about some heirloom veggies/fruit.

I recently told Tammy that if need be I could switch from Niles to Evanston in order to organize the Evanston group, but she was many steps ahead of me and had already arranged for someone to act as Evanston coordinator.

Ok then. I see that we have a few folks who are still planning to shop Evanston on Saturday morning. But, as long as Tammy has it covered, I'm probably going to attend the Niles tour, since there is no reason for me personally to be there.

I may or may not have the family with me (+2) but will notify about that asap. Once on the tour, I'll be happy to take a couple of people in my car, as long as there's room. Of course, I may not have room because I'll have quite a bit of equipment, including a smoker and a large cooler or 2, with me.

I'll be at the Farmer's Market, and since I live a few blocks from the church, I can bring over a vintage Osterizer, plus a hardware store-style blowtorch. What time should I bring stuff over? Anything else needed?

Thanks, Tom. We will have access to the church beginning at 1 pm on Saturday. I plan to be there at least a few minutes in advance of that, even if it means cutting out of the Niles thing a few minutes early.

=R=