• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Heartland Gathering Cooks Update

Bread

Tino27 - 3 loaves of honey whole wheat bread, 3 loaves of Red and Black bread, 3 loaves of olive rosemary bread, 2 loaves of sweet potato bread - Cooks, if you'd like to claim any of this bread for your course, please speak up

Pre-Dinner Noshing - Remember folks, we want to have room for dinner. You don't need to bring huge quantities!

nyokie6 & LAZ - cheese

HOLLY_L - chicken liver pate

Fig jam - CaliPoutine - Now that we have a cheese plate, go for it, Randi!

Caponata - Jean Blanchard - good for afternoon noshing with cheese and pate and the like? If so, bring along!

Pacific Northwest treats - White Lotus & Dance - same as my comment to Jean - if you want to bring some things to put out for afternoon noshing, that would be lovely.

Tea - White Lotus - we don't have any activities planned for Saturday afternoon, I bet some people would find a short tea tasting interesting, if you wanted to host something like that.

Dinner

tammylc - Amuse

Alex - Soup (cool)

CaliPoutine - Composed Salad

Marmish - Salad or Side

LAZ - something mostly prepared in advance

Lucky Girl - Beets 3 Ways or something else

santo_grace - Cold Shrimp dish or Corn/Bacon/Cream dish

Ronnie Suburban - BBQ

NancyH/Bob/Edsel - Meat

Dessert

Jean Blanchard

Kerry Beal

CaliPoutine

Sous Cooks

Fresser

KarenM

Prsantrin

White Lotus

Dance

Chris (tino27's +1)

Tino27

We're still looking for a wine shopper. Is there anyone interested in that?

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

There is only 20 people cooking out of 70 attending the dinner?

Come on people, we can do better than that!!

Of course there's still room for more cooks and helpers, but one thing you don't see on the list above is that there are lots of people who've volunteered to help with cleanup and set-up - they're not in the list I'm posting, but it's a selection you can make when you buy your ticket. As a cook who hates to clean, I appreciate those people a lot!

I think we'll find that most everyone will be participating in one way or another in the creation of the feast, don't worry.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

As a cook who hates to clean, I appreciate those people a lot!

I always say I'd rather cook 100 meals than clean up 1 meal. I hate to clean as well!! Of course I appreciate everyone who does the set up and clean up.

Its so rare( especially considering where I live) that I'm around a huge bunch of food lovers. It makes my heart sing when I see lots of people cooking :biggrin: (because usually its just me)

Of course there's still room for more cooks and helpers, but one thing you don't see on the list above is that there are lots of people who've volunteered to help with cleanup and set-up - they're not in the list I'm posting, but it's a selection you can make when you buy your ticket. As a cook who hates to clean, I appreciate those people a lot!

I think we'll find that most everyone will be participating in one way or another in the creation of the feast, don't worry.

From what I can gather about the church's kitchen, that sounds like the right number, even if we cook in shifts. Plus, if I remember correctly, we had only about a dozen in-kitchen cooks in Ann Arbor a few years ago, plus some helpers. Granted it was a smaller gathering, but I think we're doing fine so far. I also suspect that there will be some unplanned dishes, inspired by the day's offerings at the Farmers' Market.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

As a cook who hates to clean, I appreciate those people a lot!

I always say I'd rather cook 100 meals than clean up 1 meal. I hate to clean as well!! Of course I appreciate everyone who does the set up and clean up.

I'm probably not as sophisticated a chef (or gourmand) as lots of the crew here, but I take pride in rendering a well-used kitchen immaculate. Put me to use, Randi!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Right now, only 43 people have officially signed up for this event, so either a large number of people have changed their minds about attending or many people are waiting until the last minute to sign up. In any case, I'm guessing that we're probably going to end up with fewer than the 71 who have indicated that they plan to attend.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Ha!

I was going to back out of making my beet dishes because my husband and I are away from home right now. We will be returning home the day before we leave to drive to Chicago. In fact, we would have made this a longer trip but we wanted to get back in time for the gathering. Anyway, I was thinking that I might feel a little overwhelmed and even though beets are not a big job to make I was thinking maybe I would decline on making a dish but you have guilted me into sticking with my original plan of beets three ways :rolleyes:

Ha!

I was going to back out of making my beet dishes because my husband and I are away from home right now. We will be returning home the day before we leave to drive to Chicago. In fact, we would have made this a longer trip but we wanted to get back in time for the gathering. Anyway, I was thinking that I might feel a little overwhelmed and even though beets are not a big job to make I was thinking maybe I would decline on making a dish but you have guilted me into sticking with my original plan of beets three ways :rolleyes:

I've been told I do Jewish guilt really well :biggrin:

And, your dish last year was soooooooo goood.

LAZ,

Due to family circumstances, I may not be able to join the group on Saturday. I know you're counting on our car to drive a couple of people. I will come if at all possible but thought I should let you know just in case. I'll keep you informed as we get closer to the date.

Jean

I'm looking forward to being a Sous chef, I just had my knives sharpend.

I will bring as many utensils, gadjets, mandoline, graters - etc.

Should I participate in the Farmer's Market ? If not, what time would you like me to be part? After the purchase when the menu materializes? Our entrance to the kitchen is at 1pm , right? This will be fun, but I'd like to prepare, with what you may need.

For those taking the Heartland Gathering Bread Class next Friday (gosh, is it here already?!?), would it be helpful to PM the recipes to the attendees ahead of time so that you can review them before class? Or would you rather I just wait and distribute them at the beginning of the class?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I will be happy to make a big batch of cocktails for the (Sat) chefs, sous and anyone hanging around during the day. I will also be a sous for anyone who needs help cooking.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I will be happy to make a big batch of cocktails for the (Sat) chefs, sous and anyone hanging around during the day.  I will also be a sous for anyone who needs help cooking.

Toby

Thanks, Toby. Those of us who are relatively neophyte cocktail drinkers should be recovered from Thursday night by then. :wacko:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

LAZ,

Due to family circumstances, I may not be able to join the group on Saturday.  I know you're counting on our car to drive a couple of people.  I will come if at all possible but thought I should let you know just in case.  I'll keep you informed as we get closer to the date.

OK, I won't count on your extra seats, but I do hope you'll will be able to attend. Tammy says she can drive, if necessary, so we can manage if you can't make it. Let us know when you know.

If anyone else can drive, if needed, let me know. I will provide maps. The initial meeting place has a large parking lot, so if we need to we can reshuffle on Saturday morning. For efficiency's sake, I'd just as soon have the minimum number of cars we can manage with on the tour itself.

Update:

Ethnic shopping tour

9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9 (including lunch)

Niles ethnic grocers (list)

This tour will start off at 9 a.m. from Niles. Plan to arrive early if you'd like coffee or a morning nosh before we leave. If you think you will have trouble getting to Niles, please send me a PM as soon as possible and let me know where you will coming from.

Ethnic lunch will cost about $13 each, including a beverage, tax and tip. It will be easiest if everyone brings cash. If I can shoehorn it in, we may also have a mid-morning snack that will cost about $2 each.

Drivers, if I have wrongly estimated the number of available seats in your car, please let me know. The number in brackets is car seats including the driver.

LAZ+1 [6]

tammylc* [4]

Jean Blanchard+1* (**[2])

LuckyGirl+2*(**[3])

torakris

white lotus+1

Fresser* [4]

Fat Guy

tino27's Chris

NancyH or ?* [4]

prasantrin's guest

nyokie6+1

Total: 13 + 5 probable

*Additional drivers [total car seats: 23]

(**)probable

LAZ

Heartland Gathering Bread Class

Friday, August 8th

Noon - 5 PM

All --

I've been in contact with both Karen M (who will be hosting our class) and Santo_Grace (who has graciously offered to pick up lunch).

Karen mentioned that she does have two cats. While I am sure they can be quarantined during the class, those with allergies should take appropriate steps to make sure you won't be suffering for the duration of the class.

Santo_Grace lives very close to Karen and has offered to pick up lunch at Smoque BBQ (link here). Please contact Santo_Grace directly with your order and bring cash to class to pay for your meal. Santo_Grace will arrive at 11:30 am at Karen's house with your order, so you can eat your meal before the class starts at noon.

Also, feel free to bring your lunch and eat during the class if Smoque BBQ doesn't appeal to you. While I can't stop the class for people to make a lunch run (we have a LOT to cover), I have no problem if people want to munch away during the class.

Other than that, if people have questions or concerns about the class, please feel free to post here or PM me. Questions about Smoque BBQ should be directed toward Santo_Grace.

See you all next Friday! :biggrin:

Tom (tino27)

I want to remind everyone that only a few more days remain to purchase tickets for the big weekend.

As of 11:55 pm ET on Tuesday August 5, we will cut off ticket sales. Please do not wait until the last minute to purchase your tickets. I'm going to have an extraordinarily busy week next week (2 of my 3 work partners will be on vacation) and should you have problems making your purchase, I may not be available to help resolve them, if you wait until the last minute. It's definitely best to buy them in the next couple of days, before the weekend is over because once Monday hits, I will have very limited time, until we get this party started . . .

Here are the current numbers:

Blackbird: 31 paid/44 reserved

The Violet Hour: 36 paid/50 reserved

Lao Sze Chuan: 45 paid/54 reserved

Group Meal: 45 paid/71 reserved

As you can see, several folks who indicated they planned to attend have not yet purchased their tickets. If you've changed your mind or cannot attend, you do not need to post here. I simply want to remind those who still plan to attend that the window to purchase tickets will soon be closing.

Thanks,

=R=

Friday, August 8th

Noon - 5 PM

Updated list of the students I have signed up:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard

santo_grace

torakris

LuckyGirl (*) +2 (*)

prasantrin's +1

white lotus +1

(*) = probable/maybe

9 definites / 4 maybes

Let me know if there are any errors in that list.

Friday, August 8th

Noon - 5 PM

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard (*)

santo_grace

torakris

LuckyGirl (*) +2 (*)

prasantrin's +1

white lotus +1

(*) = probable/maybe

8 definites / 5 maybes

Friday, August 8th

Noon - 5 PM

Seems I've had a flurry of PM's today! :blink::biggrin:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

Jean Blanchard (*)

santo_grace

torakris

LuckyGirl (*) +2 (*)

prasantrin's +1

white lotus +1

(*) = probable/maybe

8 definites / 4 maybes

Updated lists . . . (additional people have dropped out, via pm)

Please note these lists do not reflect who has paid, nor do they reflect those attendees shown here as probable who have subsequently paid.

Thursday Dinner at Blackbird

=R= +3

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1

-44- (42 definite, 2 probable)

Please note, 4 spots are now open for Thursday's dinner.

Thursday Drinks at The Violet Hour

=R= +3

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-47- (44 definite, 3 probable)

13 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

Updated list for the Friday night dinner at Lao Sze Chuan:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine +1

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

-53- (53 definite, 0 probable)

27 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

Updated list for the Saturday dinner at Immanuel Lutheran Church:

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +1

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex +1

tammylc

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-68- (66 definite, 2 probable)

22 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)