• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Heartland Gathering Cooks Update

Course Cooks

Tino - Bread

nyokie6/LAZ - cheese

HOLLY_L - chicken liver pate

tammylc - Amuse

Alex - Soup

CaliPoutine - Salad

Marmish - Salad or Side

LAZ - something mostly prepared in advance

Lucky Girl - Beets 3 Ways or something else

santo_grace - Cold Shrimp dish or Corn/Bacon/Cream dish

Ronnie Suburban - BBQ

NancyH/Bob/Edsel - Meat

Jean Blanchard, Kerry Beal, CaliPoutine - Dessert

Sous Cooks

Fresser

KarenM

Prsantrin

White Lotus

Dance

Chris (tino27's +1)

Possible Components people could bring prepared if cooks want them

Fig jam - CaliPoutine

Caponata - Jean Blanchard

Pacific Northwest treats - White Lotus & Dance

Tea - White Lotus

We're still looking for a wine shopper. Is there anyone interested in that?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay around for the Saturday festivities, but I am looking forward to the Thursday & Friday events.

Ronnie - Would you remove my name from Saturday's group dinner list?

Heartland Gathering Bread Class

Friday, August 8th

Well, folks, we're only about 3 weeks away and we haven't been able to secure a location for a full-day workshop. Perhaps it's the requirement of at least two ovens. Whatever the reason, I'd like to suggest an alternative. Originally the bread workshop was to serve two purposes:

* Hands-on bread class to help those who wished to know more about the bread making process

* Make all of the breads for the dinner on Saturday

What I am now proposing is more of a standard bread class -- 3-4 hours on Friday the 8th starting around noon. Instead of making all the breads, we'll focus on making just one of the breads. We'd still cover technique, ingredients, process, etc. And while it won't be a 100% hands-on class, you'll still have the opportunity to ask questions, feel the dough during the process, shape, slash, and bake the loaves. Another benefit would be that we would only need one oven instead of two. So, this could be done in a home with a kitchen big enough to hold 12-15 people (which is how many are signed up for the workshop). The host wouldn't need to have any bread making equipment, as I can bring it all myself.

As for the bread we make during the class, we can either donate it to the dinner on Saturday, or just divvy it up between the students.

As for the dinner on Saturday night, clearly if we do a class instead of the workshop, we'll need to purchase the loaves from local bakeries to serve with apps/dinner.

Those of you who are already signed up for the workshop, what are your thoughts?

Those of you who might have a suitable kitchen space that we could commandeer for an afternoon, what are your thoughts?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Ronnie - Would you remove my name from Saturday's group dinner list?

'Tis done; glad you'll still be attending other parts of the weekend.

Updated lists . . .

Please note these lists do not yet reflect who has already paid

Thursday Dinner at Blackbird

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1**

-49- (42 definite, 6 probable, 1 wait list)

Only 'wait list' spots remain for Thursday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, especially since we still have 6 "probables".

Thursday Drinks at The Violet Hour

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-57- (50 definite, 7 probable)

Only 3 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

Updated list for the Friday night dinner at Lao Sze Chuan:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

-54- (54 definite, 0 probable)

26 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

Updated list for the Saturday dinner at Immanuel Lutheran Church:

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +1

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex +1

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-81- (79 definite, 2 probable)

Only 9 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Friday, August 8th

Well, folks, we're only about 3 weeks away and we haven't been able to secure a location for a full-day workshop.

Just a suggestion: A few years ago, I stayed in the Residence Inn, and our "mini suite" had a full kitchen with a range. There are also other long-stay type hotels in the area that also offer kitchens with ovens. So you might look into renting a room at a place like that (or two, which would get two kitchens with two ovens).

As I recall, we booked our Residence Inn room through the Marriott web site and we wound up there because it was as cheap as anything else. So you could sleep there and have the workshop too.

LAZ

Friday, August 8th

Well, folks, we're only about 3 weeks away and we haven't been able to secure a location for a full-day workshop.

Just a suggestion: A few years ago, I stayed in the Residence Inn, and our "mini suite" had a full kitchen with a range. There are also other long-stay type hotels in the area that also offer kitchens with ovens. So you might look into renting a room at a place like that (or two, which would get two kitchens with two ovens).

As I recall, we booked our Residence Inn room through the Marriott web site and we wound up there because it was as cheap as anything else. So you could sleep there and have the workshop too.

That's a very clever idea!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Friday, August 8th

That's a very clever idea!

I believe that Tom may have already investigated this possibility and found it to be unacceptable but perhaps I'm mistaken.

=R=

Ronnie_suburban is right.

Thanks for the suggestion of the hotel with a full range. I did some preliminary work (about 4 months ago) to try and find something suitable, and while some rooms came with a working stovetop, none that I found have the full oven. As you pointed out, LAZ, obviously someone has such a set up, but perhaps through either bad luck or lack of searching the right channels of information, I couldn't find one when I was researching.

However, all of that is moot because after finding no joy in locating what I really wanted, I booked my current hotel about 3 months ago and changing 3 weeks before the eGullet weekend just isn't an option.

Edited by tino27 (log)

At Ronnie's suggestion, I took the interactive map I made of lunch options after the Farmers' Market and before dinner, and turned it into a 5-page, printable pdf file, which should be downloadable here. Let me know privately if you have any trouble getting it.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all the work you put in!

How'd you do it? I think I need to learn that skill!

At Ronnie's suggestion, I took the interactive map I made of lunch options after the Farmers' Market and before dinner, and turned it into a 5-page, printable pdf file, which should be downloadable here. Let me know privately if you have any trouble getting it.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all the work you put in!

How'd you do it? I think I need to learn that skill!

Hi all,

I want to thank nr706 for performing his documentational magic on that information.

Also, I posted upthread that I was going to make hard copy hand-outs for everyone of all the informational maps but I've reconsidered. These documents are large and doing so will waste a lot of paper, toner and time. So, since we are all members of the eGS, I'm going to urge everyone here to fend for themselves and bring the information with them, electronically. The files should be easily downloadable to your mobile devices. And of course, those 'old-skoolers' who want print outs can simply make them for themselves before they depart for Chicago.

Again, here are all the links:

Evanston Lunch Map (.pdf), (Direct link to Google maps)

Shopping Map - eGS Heartland Gathering 2008

eGS Heartland Gathering Map - 2008

21 days to go! :smile:

=R=

Thanks for the suggestion of the hotel with a full range. I did some preliminary work (about 4 months ago) to try and find something suitable, and while some rooms came with a working stovetop, none that I found have the full oven. As you pointed out, LAZ, obviously someone has such a set up, but perhaps through either bad luck or lack of searching the right channels of information, I couldn't find one when I was researching.

However, all of that is moot because after finding no joy in locating what I really wanted, I booked my current hotel about 3 months ago and changing 3 weeks before the eGullet weekend just isn't an option.

No guarantees it'll stay at that price, but when I just checked, the Residence Inn Deerfield had studios with ovens at $99. So if you have 10 people, that's $10 each, even if nobody sleeps in the room. Deerfield isn't handy to Friday night's events, but it's doable.

LAZ

Hi all,

It has come to my attention that a few people are having some trouble with Paypal, which is the site to which EventBrite.com re-directs you to make payments for our events. My own personal experience with paypal is that it can be highly annoying at times but no more so than right after you first set up an account and try to pay for a bunch of stuff. This has already been the experience of a few people who, after trying sign up at EventBrite.com, had their paypal accounts temporarily frozen, 'for their own protection' It can be a multi-step process to have the account 'unfrozen.' Unfortunately, there is no better alternative.

So, please do not wait until the last minute to purchase your tickets or open a paypal account. It doesn't look like we're maxed out on any of the events, except for the dinner at Blackbird, but if you try to sign up and are delayed in doing so for 'security' reasons, please send me a pm to let me know and I will hold your spot(s) for couple of extra days, until you get the situation resolved.

Thanks,

=R=

One thing I'll add to Ronnie's comments: at this point in time anybody who wants to function in the world of ecommerce really needs to have a working PayPal account. There are now so many transactions that require PayPal -- everything from millions of eBay transactions to donations to the eGullet Society -- you're eventually going to run across one. So by setting it up now you're preparing for the next time you'll need to complete a PayPal transaction.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

One thing I'll add to Ronnie's comments: at this point in time anybody who wants to function in the world of ecommerce really needs to have a working PayPal account. There are now so many transactions that require PayPal -- everything from millions of eBay transactions to donations to the eGullet Society -- you're eventually going to run across one. So by setting it up now you're preparing for the next time you'll need to complete a PayPal transaction.

My paypal boycott is going just about as well as my microsoft boycott. :wink:

=R=

My paypal boycott is going just about as well as my microsoft boycott. :wink:

=R=

Talk to me at the gathering about successfully boycotting Microsoft. Nary a Windows OS/office product will you find on any of my computers.

It has come to my attention that a few people are having some trouble with Paypal, which is the site to which EventBrite.com re-directs you to make payments for our events.

You are NOT required to open or use a Paypal account to make your payment on EventBrite.com for the Heartland Gathering activities (although you're welcome to do so if you want).

When you order your tickets, you click on "Order Now" and then you fill in your personal information. You then click on the Paypal logo or the credit card logos at the bottom of the page. Either way, they take you to the Paypal website. The right part of the screen says "Log in to Paypal" and the left part of the screen says:

Don't have a PayPal account?

Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue

If you click on Continue, it allows you to enter your credit card number and additional information. By doing so, you can charge it to your credit card or bank account, without having to open or use a Paypal account. (Note - this also asks for your e-mail address, and if you already have a Paypal account under that address, it will ask you again whether you would rather charge it to your Paypal account - but you can still say no and charge it to your credit card.)

I have nothing against Paypal, and you're welcome to use it if you like. I find it very useful for certain things, such as paying for purchases on eBay; however, I prefer some points/miles/cash programs with credit cards. In any case, you have the ability to pay for the Heartland Gathering either way.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

If you click on Continue, it allows you to enter your credit card number and additional information.  By doing so, you can charge it to your credit card or bank account, without having to open or use a Paypal account.  (Note - this also asks for your e-mail address, and if you already have a Paypal account under that address, it will ask you again whether you would rather charge it to your Paypal account - but you can still say no and charge it to your credit card.)

It won't let me do it that way, either. It seems there's a daily limit, so I have to wait until the amount is actually posted to my credit card before I can use it again. I paid for one event, then was blocked for a couple of days, now I just paid for a second event, and tried to pay for another (first via PayPal, then via the not using a PayPal account option), but was blocked again. I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

It won't let me do it that way, either.  It seems there's a daily limit, so I have to wait until the amount is actually posted to my credit card before I can use it again.  I paid for one event, then was blocked for a couple of days, now I just paid for a second event, and tried to pay for another (first via PayPal, then via the not using a PayPal account option), but was blocked again.  I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

I signed up for two people for everything, charging all the fees to my credit card, and it let me do everything the same day, one transaction after another, without any problems. (I didn't try charging it to my Paypal account at all, though I'm not sure why that would make any difference.)

You are NOT required to open or use a Paypal account to make your payment on EventBrite.com for the Heartland Gathering activities (although you're welcome to do so if you want).

This is true. I set up the sign-ups so that either option was available. Unfortunately, it appears that security issues can pop up regardless of the chosen payment method. :sad:

=R=

Heartland Gathering Cooks Update

Course Cooks

Tino - Bread

nyokie6/LAZ - cheese

HOLLY_L  - chicken liver pate

tammylc - Amuse

Alex - Soup

CaliPoutine - Salad

Marmish - Salad or Side

LAZ - something mostly prepared in advance

Lucky Girl - Beets 3 Ways or something else

santo_grace - Cold Shrimp dish or Corn/Bacon/Cream dish

Ronnie Suburban - BBQ

NancyH/Bob/Edsel - Meat

Jean Blanchard, Kerry Beal, CaliPoutine - Dessert

Sous Cooks

Fresser

KarenM

Prsantrin

White Lotus

Dance

Chris (tino27's +1)

Possible Components people could bring prepared if cooks want them

Fig jam - CaliPoutine

Caponata - Jean Blanchard

Pacific Northwest treats - White Lotus & Dance

Tea - White Lotus

We're still looking for a wine shopper. Is there anyone interested in that?

Just an FYI, my salad is going to be more of a main dish composed salad.

I'm also looking for anyone local who can lend me a couple of tart pans w/ removable bottoms.