• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

I am going to have to back out.  I will be preparing a dinner on that Saturday night for 12 at work so I am in the process of changing all my plans, canceling reservations, things along that line.  Next year for sure especially if it is Kansas City.

I'm sorry to hear that and I do hope that KC is strongly considered as next year's venue, as it seems like a very good choice.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I am going to have to back out.  I will be preparing a dinner on that Saturday night for 12 at work so I am in the process of changing all my plans, canceling reservations, things along that line.  Next year for sure especially if it is Kansas City.

I'm sorry to hear that and I do hope that KC is strongly considered as next year's venue, as it seems like a very good choice.

=R=

Huzzah! I'm on board with that.

LAZ - I anticipate someone from our triumverate will go ethnic - not to worry, we'll have cars!

Update:

Ethnic shopping tour

Saturday, Aug. 9, a.m.

Niles ethnic grocers (list)

tammylc

Jean Blanchard*

LuckyGirl+2*(**)

torakris

white lotus+1

Fresser*

Fat Guy

tino27's Chris

*Additional drivers

(**)probable

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Not sure how much it matters but I'm a plus one for the ethnic tour. I may consider dinner on Friday night but I'd like to see how Friday bread and candy making goes first. Do we know if we're going to have a place for those events yet? Really looking forward to doing everything!

Not sure how much it matters but I'm a plus one for the ethnic tour.  I may consider dinner on Friday night but I'd like to see how Friday bread and candy making goes first.  Do we know if we're going to have a place for those events yet?  Really looking forward to doing everything!

Unfortunately, our efforts to locate and secure venues for these 2 events have not yet been successful.

If anyone here would like to host one or both of these events, please post here or let me, Tom or Kerry know, via pm. In neither case do the equipment requirements exceed what is found in a typical home kitchen.

The path to foodie glory often begins with hosting an event like one of these . . . :wink::laugh:

Thanks,

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

LAZ - I anticipate someone from our triumverate will go ethnic - not to worry, we'll have cars!

Not sure how much it matters but I'm a plus one for the ethnic tour.

I am planning to cap the ethnic tour with a stop for lunch. I have in mind an ethnic spot, as befits the theme, :biggrin: but Chicago-style pizza or hot dogs are also options. I'm torn between a real lunch, which will require reservations for a group, and fitting in another store, in which case a quicker meal at a hot-dog stand will be most practical.

I know we have several locals, for whom Chicago dogs and pizza are nothing new, but every visitor ought to try them, and there are good places for both nearby. (You should try Italian beef, too, and maybe a jibarito, but our route doesn't offer first-class options for those.) Although pizza might not be the best choice for those involved in the preparing the Saturday night meal -- the tryptophan load of a thick wedge of Chicago-style pizza for lunch could make you feel more like napping through the afternoon than cooking!

Also, how early are folks up to starting? I don't know how late things will go on Friday, and I confess I'm not much of a morning person, myself, but an 8 a.m. start would allow us to fit more in. We'll still see some great places if we catch a bit more sleep and start at 9, though. :wink:

Ethnic tourists, please send me your thoughts by PM. (No sense cluttering up this thread for the folks who aren't going on this tour.) Thanks!

Update:

Ethnic shopping tour

Saturday, Aug. 9, a.m.

tammylc

Jean Blanchard+1*

LuckyGirl+2*(**)

torakris

white lotus+1

Fresser*

Fat Guy

tino27's Chris

NancyH or ?*

*Additional drivers

(**)probable

LAZ

Not sure how much it matters but I'm a plus one for the ethnic tour.

I am planning to cap the ethnic tour with a stop for lunch. I have in mind an ethnic spot, as befits the theme, :biggrin: but Chicago-style pizza or hot dogs are also options. I'm torn between a real lunch, which will require reservations for a group, and fitting in another store, in which case a quicker meal at a hot-dog stand will be most practical.

Superdawg definitely fits the bill here for out-of-town eGulleteers. They have car-hop service, an animated Maurie and Florie Wiener jitterbugging atop the store's roof and lots of other hot-dog kitsch. Plus, it's only a mile or so south of the Niles ethnic stores.

Wear your poodle-skirts for this one, Ladies!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Also, how early are folks up to starting? I don't know how late things will go on Friday, and I confess I'm not much of a morning person, myself, but an 8 a.m. start would allow us to fit more in. We'll still see some great places if we catch a bit more sleep and start at 9, though. :wink:

Ethnic tourists, please send me your thoughts by PM. (No sense cluttering up this thread for the folks who aren't going on this tour.) Thanks!

My +1 wants to join the ethnic tour, but has no car so probably won't be able to get out to Evanston until 9 (assuming the meeting place is Evanston--we're staying in Chicago, so will either do public transportation or catch a taxi with others at the Hyatt).

Wear your poodle-skirts for this one, Ladies!

I'm afraid you are more likely to own and wear a poodle skirt than I :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

My +1 wants to join the ethnic tour, but has no car so probably won't be able to get out to Evanston until 9 (assuming the meeting place is Evanston--we're staying in Chicago, so will either do public transportation or catch a taxi with others at the Hyatt).

You don't want take a cab from downtown to Evanston! It'll cost an arm and a leg. Take Metra or the L. Metra doesn't run very frequently, especially on Saturday. On Saturdays, the L requires one easy change at Howard Street.

Those of you who are doing Chicagoland without a car may find the RTA Trip Planner helpful.

The Niles tour will likely start in Niles and wind up at the church in Evanston. We'll work on getting people without cars to the starting point, either by transit or arranging carpools. If you think you'll have trouble getting to Niles, please send me a PM with where you are staying.

By transit from downtown on Saturday morning, the fastest route seems to be to take the L to Skokie and catch the #250 Pace bus. That will cost $2.25 and take about 90 minutes, slightly longer than it takes to get to either Niles or Evanston by car under current conditions, and rather cheaper.

Update:

Ethnic shopping tour

Saturday, Aug. 9, a.m.

tammylc

Jean Blanchard+1*

LuckyGirl+2*(**)

torakris

white lotus+1

Fresser*

Fat Guy

tino27's Chris

NancyH or ?*

prasantrin's guest

*Additional drivers

(**)probable

LAZ

Could you add myself + 1 to the Blackbird and Chinatown dinner waitlists?

There is currently no wait list for the Chinatown dinner, so you are in, +1, for that meal. As for the Blackbird dinner, I have given you the final open spot and added your +1 to the wait list. Obviously, we don't expect you to attend if the wait list spot doesn't open up, although, you are more than welcome to do so. I've sent you PM's with links to the official sign-ups.

Updated lists . . .

Please note these lists do not yet reflect who has already paid

Thursday Dinner at Blackbird

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1**

-49- (42 definite, 6 probable, 1 wait list)

Only 'wait list' spots remain for Thursday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, especially since we still have 6 "probables".

Thursday Drinks at The Violet Hour

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +2

Darcie B

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-58- (51 definite, 7 probable)

Only 2 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

Updated list for the Friday night dinner at Lao Sze Chuan:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +2

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

-55- (55 definite, 0 probable)

25 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

Updated list for the Saturday dinner at Immanuel Lutheran Church:

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

dls*

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-84- (81 definite, 3 probable)

Only 6 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

In discussion with Tammy it seems that the most logical time and place for a chocolate workshop is on Friday afternoon.  We will need to find someone local who has (air conditioned) space available for us to work in.

So anyone with an idea of where we could hold it - let me know - and then we will see who else wants to join in. 

Calipoutine and I get off the train around 11:30 on Friday, so we just need to allow enough time to stop off at the hotel and for me to find my way to the workshop location.

You should also take into account that Amtrak frequently runs an hour late. :sad:

Yes -- this past week your train arrived anywhere between 21 minutes and 2½ hours late. I'd love to attend a chocolate workshop, but allowing for train lateness, transportation to the hotel, checking in, and transportation to the venue (assuming we can locate one), it looks like 2:00 - 2:30 would be the very earliest semi-reasonable time to schedule it. How long do you think the workshop would be? Should we proceed with the venue search or simply table it until next year?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In discussion with Tammy it seems that the most logical time and place for a chocolate workshop is on Friday afternoon.  We will need to find someone local who has (air conditioned) space available for us to work in.

So anyone with an idea of where we could hold it - let me know - and then we will see who else wants to join in. 

Calipoutine and I get off the train around 11:30 on Friday, so we just need to allow enough time to stop off at the hotel and for me to find my way to the workshop location.

You should also take into account that Amtrak frequently runs an hour late. :sad:

Yes -- this past week your train arrived anywhere between 21 minutes and 2½ hours late. I'd love to attend a chocolate workshop, but allowing for train lateness, transportation to the hotel, checking in, and transportation to the venue (assuming we can locate one), it looks like 2:00 - 2:30 would be the very earliest semi-reasonable time to schedule it. How long do you think the workshop would be? Should we proceed with the venue search or simply table it until next year?

I'd love it if you keep looking. I can do a workshop in 3 hours, so that still leaves time to get to dinner.

I'd love it if you keep looking. I can do a workshop in 3 hours, so that still leaves time to get to dinner.

I didn't know that Alex was also looking for a venue for these events but that's good to know. There are a couple other folks helping, as well. Alex, please keep us updated on your efforts.

=R=

I didn't know that Alex was also looking for a venue for these events but that's good to know. There are a couple other folks helping, as well. Alex, please keep us updated on your efforts.

=R=

Well, I wasn't yet. That was the general "we," although I do have some ideas. Perhaps I can email/PM them to you, or is there someone else who can be the chocovenue coordinator? I'm not in Chicagoland, as you know, but I'd be willing to make some phone calls.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well, I wasn't yet. That was the general "we," although I do have some ideas. Perhaps I can email/PM them to you, or is there someone else who can be the chocovenue coordinator? I'm not in Chicagoland, as you know, but I'd be willing to make some phone calls.

I'm only involved in these events in as far as I've been trying to locate venues for them. So far, we've had a couple of near misses and right now there are a couple of pending possibilities, as well. In other words, so far, I'm a failure. :raz:

The 2 organizers of these events are tino27 (bread) and Kerry Beal (chocolate). Should you want to assist them in any respect, you can communicate directly with them, via pm -- and that goes for anyone who wants to help out. But there's no reason this process has to go through me (or be documented here on the thread, for that matter).

As I mentioned above, there are several irons the fire right now but nothing definite, so if you or anyone else has any ideas, please let the appropriate person know and let's see what happens. I'm not exactly sure where but somewhere upthread the 'requirements' for both these events/venues are spelled out pretty clearly. In both cases, a home kitchen should be adequate, although ideally, the kitchen for the bread workshop will have 2 or more ovens.

Thanks,

=R=

I just wanted to add a note about maintaining and updating the attendance lists. I will, until the right-of-first-refusal ticket purchase period ends on July 22, continue to add names to and remove names from the lists here, as people update their plans (via post or pm).

After this period ends, I will post the links to each of the 4 EventBrite.com sign-ups here on the thread. From that point forward, if folks who change their plans want to post about it here, they are more than welcome to do so. However, I am not planning to update the lists I've been keeping here beyond that point, because this information (first name, eGS handle and home town) will be tracked automatically at EventBrite.com and will be viewable to anyone who successfully begins the sign-up process there. Once a person signs up there, he or she (and their guests) will also be added to the 'Attendee Report.'

Finally, because the Attendee Reports list only those people who have paid, I will not -- at any time -- be updating the lists here with that information.

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks again, :smile:

=R=

Ok, thanks to Marmish, we are back in business!  We'll firm up time and PM out info to each participant on how to get there.  Count on about 3 hours for the workshop.  We'll be done in time to get to the evening meal.

Participants so far-

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

tammylc

(and I'm guessing I should add Marmish to the list!)

Ok, thanks to Marmish, we are back in business!  We'll firm up time and PM out info to each participant on how to get there.  Count on about 3 hours for the workshop.  We'll be done in time to get to the evening meal.

Participants so far-

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

tammylc

(and I'm guessing I should add Marmish to the list!)

Great! Thanks, Marmish (and Kerry). So our job between now and then is to think good thoughts about Amtrak?

Updated lists . . .

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1**

Only 'wait list' spots remain for Thursday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, especially since we still have 6 "probables".

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +2

Darcie B

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-58- (51 definite, 7 probable)

Only 2 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +2

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

-55- (55 definite, 0 probable)

25 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-83- (81 definite, 2 probable)

Only 7 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

=R=

Updated lists . . .

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

REB +1

DutchMuse + 1**

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc +1

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

karen m

-57- (50 definite, 7 probable)

Only 3 spots remain for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

Amy Viny +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

DutchMuse +1

-54- (54 definite, 0 probable)

26 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +1

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex +1

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

Cathy2

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

Fat Guy

REB +1

-82- (80 definite, 2 probable)

Only 8 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

=R=