• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

As promised, below is a link to an interactive Google map of food/beverage-shopping venues that are near the church. Of course, this map is not all-inclusive but I tried to include as many viable places as I could think of, that were at least somewhat nearby:

Shopping Map - eGS Heartland Gathering 2008

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

As promised, below is a link to an interactive Google map of food/beverage-shopping venues that are near the church.  Of course, this map is not all-inclusive but I tried to include as many viable places as I could think of, that were at least somewhat nearby:

Shopping Map - eGS Heartland Gathering 2008

=R=

Thanks for all your hard work. I can NOT wait to get to The Spice House.

Is there going to be some kind of charity-related silent auction or something happening?

I ask because I'm leaving Japan in a couple of weeks, and was thinking of picking up something here if I can find something that will last more than a month and won't add to my already topped duty-free alcohol limit.

And I ditto Randi, Ron. Thanks for all your hard work! :smile:

Is there going to be some kind of charity-related silent auction or something happening?

I ask because I'm leaving Japan in a couple of weeks, and was thinking of picking up something here if I can find something that will last more than a month and won't add to my already topped duty-free alcohol limit.

And I ditto Randi, Ron.  Thanks for all your hard work!  :smile:

That would be kinda cool. I have some neat items( culinary) I could possibly donate.

I'm still working with Ronnie_Suburban on nailing down a location for the bread workshop (which hopefully might also be suitable for a chocolate workshop as well). We should know soon (hopefully) the location for this. In about two weeks, I will be posting the specific details of the workshop (which breads we'll be doing, timeline for the workshop, etc.)

An update to the list ...

Heartland Gathering Bread Workshop

Friday, August 8th

So far, I have:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard

santo_grace

torakris (*)

LuckyGirl

(*) = probable

If I've forgotten or mis-represented anyone, please let me know. :smile:

ETA: Minor correction.

Edited by tino27 (log)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I'm still working with Ronnie_Suburban on nailing down a location for the bread workshop (which hopefully might also be suitable for a chocolate workshop as well). We should know soon (hopefully) the location for this. In about two weeks, I will be posting the specific details of the workshop (which breads we'll be doing, timeline for the workshop, etc.)

Friday, August 8th

So far, I have:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard

santo_grace

torakris (*)

LuckyGirl

(*) = probable

If I've forgotten or mis-represented anyone, please let me know.  :smile:

It would be fabulous if we could find a place suitable for both.

For the potential chocolate workshop - so far I have

Jean Blanchard

Alex

Anyone else interested - say the word.

Friday, August 8th

So far, I have:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard

santo_grace

torakris (*)

LuckyGirl

(*) = probable

If I've forgotten or mis-represented anyone, please let me know.  :smile:

It would be fabulous if we could find a place suitable for both.

For the potential chocolate workshop - so far I have

Jean Blanchard

Alex

Anyone else interested - say the word.

I'm interested in the chocolate workshop!

And my +1 is interested in the bread workshop, but hasn't decided on am only, pm only, or both.

(by splitting up, we can get the best of both worlds!)

And my +1 is interested in the bread workshop, but hasn't decided on am only, pm only, or both.

Friday, August 8th

So far, I have:

edsel

karen m

Amy Viny

CaliPoutine (*)

Jean Blanchard

santo_grace

torakris (*)

LuckyGirl

prasantrin's +1

(*) = probable

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Updated list

HEARTLAND GATHERING CHOCOLATE WORKSHOP

Friday August 8

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Updated list

Friday August 8

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

I wanna do chocolate too!! How am I going to do both?

We take the finished loaves - and dip them in chocolate! Problem solved!

We take the finished loaves - and dip them in chocolate!  Problem solved!

Nooooooo...we make some chocolate hazelnut spread to serve with the bread! :wub:

Brilliant idea!

Nooooooo...we make some chocolate hazelnut spread to serve with the bread! :wub:

Brilliant idea!

Or we make bread that has chocolate inside.

Perhaps pain au chocolat?

So we need to make those little batons?

Brilliant idea!

Or we make bread that has chocolate inside.

Perhaps pain au chocolat?

Thats the one I was thinking about.

Who else would like to do something? You don't have to have a solid plan yet, just a willingness to put something together.

Add me to the list. I am local, so I was thinking I could do something that could mostly be prepped in advance.

I had been thinking along the lines of a cold soup, but I see Alex has that already covered.

Ethnic shopping tour?

If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to lead a tour of ethnic stores in Niles, either Friday during the day or in lieu of the farmers' market on Saturday morning. (The Evanston market is a fine market, but I doubt it's significantly different from farmers' markets in your hometown.) Niles, about 5 miles west of Evanston, offers one of the most diverse ethnic shopping experiences in Chicagoland, with about 50 different food stores, including:

Armenian

Assyrian

Eastern/Central European

Filipino

German

Greek

Indian

Italian

Korean (with two of the largest Korean supermarkets in the Midwest)

Polish

Serbian

and more.

This article, Super markets: Niles' plethora of ethnic grocers makes town food-shopping mecca, is somewhat dated but it will give you an idea.

LAZ

Kerry - If you're planning to do the chocolate workshop on Friday, count me in too, please! I've followed a number of your threads & projects with great interest.

Kerry - If you're planning to do the chocolate workshop on Friday, count me in too, please!  I've followed a number of your threads & projects with great interest.

Updated list

Friday August 8

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

Heartland Gathering Cooks Update

Course Cooks

Tino - Bread

tammylc - Amuse

Alex - Soup

CaliPoutine - Salad

Marmish - Salad or Side

NancyH/Bob/Edsel - Meat

LAZ - something mostly prepared in advance

Jean Blanchard, Kerry Beal, CaliPoutine - Dessert

nyokie6 - Dessert or Pasta

Sous Cooks

Fresser

Possible Components people could bring prepared if cooks want them

Fig jam - CaliPoutine

Caponata - Jean Blanchard

Things are shaping up pretty well for head cooks, but we still have room for another one or two! Also, I figured we might as well start assembling a list of people who are particularly interested in being sous cooks, so head cooks could start assembling a team if they are so inclined. If you want to lend a hand in the kitchen, please speak up and I'll add you to the list.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Kerry - If you're planning to do the chocolate workshop on Friday, count me in too, please!  I've followed a number of your threads & projects with great interest.

Updated list

Friday August 8

Jean Blanchard

Alex

prasantrin

Heather M

I totally want to learn from the doctor. Please count me in. (And let me know what you need me to bring.)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Ethnic shopping tour?

If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to lead a tour of ethnic stores in Niles, either Friday during the day or in lieu of the farmers' market on Saturday morning. (The Evanston market is a fine market, but I doubt it's significantly different from farmers' markets in your hometown.) Niles, about 5 miles west of Evanston, offers one of the most diverse ethnic shopping experiences in Chicagoland, with about 50 different food stores, including:

I think that's a great idea! I might be interested, assuming we can arrange things to get back to the church in a reasonable time for those of us who are in charge of a course. Other head cooks should think about if they would want to shop for their courses at the Farmer's Market or join the ethnic excursion, because we'll need to coordinate some of the meal planning around that.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy,

I'd like to provide some bbq. I'm not sure exactly what yet but if that's ok, please put me down for a bbq course.

Thanks,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com