• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Please subtract Steve and me from the list for the Blackbird dinner.

Very sorry to hear that :sad:

Updated lists . . .

Thursday Dinner at Blackbird

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* + 1* (tammy's +1 is no longer waiting)

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster (no longer waiting)

ricain** + 1**

-50- (39 definite, 9 probable, 2 waiting)

Only 'wait list' spots remain for Thurday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, as we have 8 "probables".

Thursday Drinks at The Violet Hour

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* +1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

kasw* +1*

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

-59- (47 definite, 12 probable)

Only 1 spot remains for Thursday's cocktail session :smile:

Updated list for the Friday night dinner at Lao Sze Chuan:

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc +1*

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

kasw* +1*

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ +1

-45- (42 definite, 3 probable)

35 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

Updated list for the Saturday dinner at Immanuel Lutheran Church:

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

sweintraub* +1*

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

-86- (80 definite, 6 probable)

Only 4 spots remain for Saturday's group meal :smile:

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Another quick question.

Randi passed onto to me some great information for cheap transportation on Megabus. It leaves Cleveland's Tower City (much closer to me than Hopkins) and goes to Chicago's Union Station. The return bus I am looking at leaves Union Station at almost midnight on Sunday. Is this an area I want to be standing by myself at that time of night?

Anyone from Cleveland taking this bus? Or anyone going through Cleveland on it?

The fares are different depending on the time, and my trip will cost between $20 and $50 depending on the time of the bus, much better than $180 and all the hassles of the airport.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Another quick question.

Randi passed onto to me some great information for cheap transportation on Megabus. It leaves Cleveland's Tower City (much closer to me than Hopkins) and goes to Chicago's Union Station. The return bus I am looking at leaves Union Station at almost midnight on Sunday. Is this an area I want to be standing by myself at that time of night?

The fares are different depending on the time, and my trip will cost between $20 and $50 depending on the time of the bus, much better than $180 and all the hassles of the airport.

I've never taken the MegaBus but I've heard great things about it from those who have. I imagine that Union Station would be fine at that hour because it's right in the heart of the city and I'm guessing that even at that hour, there will plenty of other traffic there. If you wanted, you could probably wait inside Union Station, by the train lines and go outside a few minutes before the scheduled arrival. So, you wouldn't have to stand out on the street if it's raining or whatever.

=R=

Another quick question.

I've never taken the MegaBus but I've heard great things about it from those who have. I imagine that Union Station would be fine at that hour because it's right in the heart of the city and I'm guessing that even at that hour, there will plenty of other traffic there. If you wanted, you could probably wait inside Union Station, by the train lines and go outside a few minutes before the scheduled arrival. So, you wouldn't have to stand out on the street if it's raining or whatever.

=R=

I agree with Ronnie. According to megabus.com, their stop is on the east side of Canal between Jackson and Adams. There's a cab stand on Jackson at Canal, just outside an entrance to Union Station, so there should be people around.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've never taken the MegaBus but I've heard great things about it from those who have.  I imagine that Union Station would be fine at that hour because it's right in the heart of the city and I'm guessing that even at that hour, there will plenty of other traffic there.  If you wanted, you could probably wait inside Union Station, by the train lines and go outside a few minutes before the scheduled arrival.  So, you wouldn't have to stand out on the street if it's raining or whatever.

=R=

Interesting. I'm going to have to rethink our plans. We were going to drive to Chicago, but now I'm thinking we may leave drive down to MSP and leave our car there, and take the Megabus to Chicago. It would probably be cheaper, but then however will we get to Hot Doug's? :biggrin::rolleyes:

Randi always has great info on travel bargains! Go Randi! :wub:

I've been thinking recently that rather than starting off the Gathering at Blackbird, I'd like to have a more intimate (and less expensive) dinner at a table of no more than six. As of today I have a commitment from two, possibly three, others, so I'm looking for two or three more like-minded eG'ers/guests. This would be on Thursday, of course, probably around 7:30-8:00 p.m.

I'm thinking that Lucia would be a good choice. I like the looks of the menu, the write-ups are mostly good, it's BYOB (we can coordinate that later), and it's easy walking distance from The Violet Hour and the Damen stop on the Blue Line.

If you're interested, please send me a PM.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've been thinking recently that rather than starting off the Gathering at Blackbird, I'd like to have a more intimate (and less expensive) dinner at a table of no more than six. As of today I have a commitment from two, possibly three, others, so I'm looking for two or three more like-minded eG'ers/guests. This would be on Thursday, of course, probably around 7:30-8:00 p.m.

I'm thinking that Lucia would be a good choice. I like the looks of the menu, the write-ups are mostly good, it's BYOB (we can coordinate that later), and it's easy walking distance from The Violet Hour and the Damen stop on the Blue Line.

OK, we now have two more, so let's consider any interested folks from here on in as tentative. I should have more information about that sixth spot a little later on this summer.

OK, we now have two more, so let's consider any interested folks from here on in as tentative. I should have more information about that sixth spot a little later on this summer.

Well, those two more are no more, so we're back to looking for two or three interested folks.

Can you save me a spot at your table, Alex?

Saved.

Well, those two more are no more, so we're back to looking for two or three interested folks.

We're now at four, possibly five, so there's still room for one or two more congenial companions.

Also, instead of Lucia, we'll be going to Terragusto. (Here's the eG thread.) It's very close to the Addison stop on the Brown Line. After dinner it would entail a short walk (less than ¼ mile) to Damen then a brief bus ride down to TVH.

Terragusto uses local ingredients whenever possible and their menu changes monthly. It's still reasonably priced -- $37.50 for the chef's tasting menu (required if we're six; optional otherwise) or for the three-course "The Italian Dinner," or possibly less if ordering à la carte. Plus it's BYOB for a $1 pp "recycling fee." :cool:

Again, please send me a PM if you're interested.

Hi - please add me plus one to the Friday night dinner. Thanks!

Ronnie, please add me to Friday's dinner.

Ronnie, can you please add me and a +1 to Friday's dinner? Thanks!

eta: My "probable" for Sat. is now a definite.

Done, done, done and done! :smile:

Updated lists . . .

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* + 1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain** + 1**

-50- (39 definite, 9 probable, 2 waiting)

Only 'wait list' spots remain for Thurday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, as we have 9 "probables".

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* +1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

kasw* +1*

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc +1*

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

kasw* +1*

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

-50- (47 definite, 3 probable)

30 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

sweintraub* +1*

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

-86- (81 definite, 5 probable)

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Hello fellow Heartland Gathering attendees!

With the festivities almost upon us (can you believe it's less than 2 months away now?), I wanted to announce that I've been working with Ronnie_Suburban on trying to make the Friday, August 8th bread workshop a reality this year. I know a number of you expressed a desire between last year and this year about attending this type of class about the in's and out's of breadmaking in general as well as to see some of the techniques, recipes, and foresight into baking bread to feed 90 people. For multiple courses. :)

My proposal is to do a hands-on, day long bread class on Friday, August 8th from 9 pm until 5:30 pm. I will break it into two segments; from 9:00 pm - 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm, although in reality, we'll still be monitoring and baking from 1-1:30. This will allow people to attend only a 1/2 day in the morning or afternoon, or all day if they so wish. Bread basics will be covered twice, from 9-9:30 and from 1-1:30. The rest of the time we will be busy mixing, kneading, shaping and baking! Questions, of course, are welcome at any time.

Topics covered during Bread Basics:

* Basic ingredients

* Equipment needed

* Basic breadmaking technique

* Bread storage / freezing

* Pre-ferments (poolish and biga)

* Additional texts you might find useful

I would like to price this very reasonably, basically enough to cover the cost of the bread, the facility, and any supplies needed for printing up recipe/instruction packets for attendees.

If you are interested, please post back to this thread and let me know answers to any of the following questions:

1) Would you be interested in participating for part or all of said workshop?

2) If local to the Chicago area, would you be willing to:

(a) lend the workshop a KitchenAid stand mixer (note: the smaller KA mixers might not stand up well)

(b) know of a home kitchen or professional kitchen we can use during the day (we would probably need a minimum of 2 ovens in order to make enough bread)

3) Any suggestions on breads or the format of the workshop you would like to see us make

As I did last year, I am more than willing to prepare specific breads for specific courses for the dinner. Even if you aren't planning on attending the workshop, please PM me or post what you are considering making and we can work something out.

Here are some examples of breads we can do:

* Black Russian Rye

* Brioche (Rich Man's or Poor Man's)

* Ciabatta

* Cranberry Walnut

* Focaccia with various toppings

* French (batards / baguettes)

* Guinness Walnut whole wheat

* Honey Whole Wheat

* Pesto

* Portuguese/Hawaiian Sweet

* Potato Rosemary

* Roasted Red Pepper and Black Peppercorn

* Rosemary Olive

* Sweet Potato

I will keep a tally of those interested in the bread workshop here on the thread (as Ronnie has so wonderfully done with the other events). Once we have a venue and a menu locked into place, I will figure out the cost per participant and post it.

Thanks for reading!

Tom (tino27)

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

As I did last year, I am more than willing to prepare specific breads for specific courses for the dinner. Even if you aren't planning on attending the workshop, please PM me or post what you are considering making and we can work something out.

Speaking of specific courses and what people want to make, I've volunteered to head up organizing the food for the Saturday banquet. Our large size is going to require a different approach to logistics than we have typically taken. Look for a post from me this weekend to begin a discussion around that!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Can you add 2 more for dinner Fri/

Done! :smile:

Updated lists . . .

=R= +4

Alchemist

newbie21

tammylc* + 1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

Elrushbo

stuart_s

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1 (officially in, due to cancelations) :smile:

-47- (38 definite, 9 probable)

1 spot remains for Thursday's dinner, although it's likely that some who have signed up will drop out, as we still have 9 "probables".

=R= +4

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* +1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

kasw* +1*

stuart_s*

daniellewiley +1

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

white lotus +1

cat lancaster

ricain + 1

=R= +4

prasantrin +1

torakris

tammylc +1*

CaliPoutine

Alex

Sam Iam +3

Fresser

NancyH +1

nsxtasy +1

jesteinf +1

kasw* +1*

tino27 +1

HeatherM

santo_grace +1

Kerry Beal

edsel

Cathy2

yellow truffle +1

nyokie6 +1

stuart_s

HOLLY_L

white lotus +1

LuckyGirl +1

LAZ +1

daniellewiley +1

karen m

hsm +1

Amy Viny +1

-52- (49 definite, 3 probable)

28 spots remain for Friday night's dinner at Lao Sze Chuan

=R= +4

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +3

nr706 +1

hsm +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

Amy Viny +1

Aaron Deacon

sweintraub* +1*

karen m +1

ricain + 1

elfin +1

-86- (81 definite, 5 probable)

=R=

Topics covered during Bread Basics:

* Basic ingredients

* Equipment needed

* Basic breadmaking technique

* Bread storage / freezing

* Pre-ferments (poolish and biga)

* Additional texts you might find useful

Count me in on the bread workshop. I already do a bit of baking myself, but there's always room for improvement. :smile:

Thanks for setting this up, Tom.

My proposal is to do a hands-on, day long bread class on Friday, August 8th from 9 pm until 5:30 pm. I will break it into two segments; from 9:00 pm - 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm, although in reality, we'll still be monitoring and baking from 1-1:30. This will allow people to attend only a 1/2 day in the morning or afternoon, or all day if they so wish. Bread basics will be covered twice, from 9-9:30 and from 1-1:30. The rest of the time we will be busy mixing, kneading, shaping and baking! Questions, of course, are welcome at any time

Tom I would like to attend. Could an all day event till 5:30 be practical if one also wants to attend Lao Sze Chuan in Chinatown?

1) Would you be interested in participating for part or all of said workshop?
(b) know of a home kitchen or professional kitchen we can use during the day (we would probably need a minimum of 2 ovens in order to make enough bread

No mixer. But I have simple practical equipment.

3) Any suggestions on breads or the format of the workshop you would like to see us make

As I did last year, I am more than willing to prepare specific breads for specific courses for the dinner. Even if you aren't planning on attending the workshop, please PM me or post what you are considering making and we can work something out

Here are some examples of breads we can do:

* Black Russian Rye

* Brioche (Rich Man's or Poor Man's)

* Ciabatta

* Cranberry Walnut

* Focaccia with various toppings

* French (batards / baguettes)

* Guinness Walnut whole wheat

* Honey Whole Wheat

* Pesto

* Portuguese/Hawaiian Sweet

* Potato Rosemary

* Roasted Red Pepper and Black Peppercorn

* Rosemary Olive

* Sweet Potato

I like straight forward bread. Rye, Brioche, French and a Focaccia.

I have only one oven.

thanks for offering to do this - Karen

Speaking of specific courses and what people want to make, I've volunteered to head up organizing the food for the Saturday banquet. Our large size is going to require a different approach to logistics than we have typically taken. Look for a post from me this weekend to begin a discussion around that!

I've been wondering about the logistics of cooking dinner for such a large crowd. The gatherings in Ann Arbor and Cleveland were much smaller than this one. I know that you, Randi, and NancyH have all cooked for big groups. I suspect that many of us will find the scale of the whole thing just a wee bit daunting. :wacko::laugh:

It's gonna be fun, no doubt!

I've been wondering about the logistics of cooking dinner for such a large crowd. The gatherings in Ann Arbor and Cleveland were much smaller than this one. I know that you, Randi, and NancyH have all cooked for big groups. I suspect that many of us will find the scale of the whole thing just a wee bit daunting. :wacko::laugh:

It's gonna be fun, no doubt!

Keep in mind, though, that you don't have to cook for 90. :wacko: I'm sure there will be plenty of contributors. Tammy's getting ready to post about this...

My proposal is to do a hands-on, day long bread class on Friday, August 8th from 9 pm until 5:30 pm. I will break it into two segments; from 9:00 pm - 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm, although in reality, we'll still be monitoring and baking from 1-1:30. This will allow people to attend only a 1/2 day in the morning or afternoon, or all day if they so wish. Bread basics will be covered twice, from 9-9:30 and from 1-1:30. The rest of the time we will be busy mixing, kneading, shaping and baking! Questions, of course, are welcome at any time

Tom I would like to attend. Could an all day event till 5:30 be practical if one also wants to attend Lao Sze Chuan in Chinatown?

Karen -- Great!! I did think about the dinner on Friday night (as I plan on going, too). I wanted to balance between not starting TOO early and making sure that we have enough time planned to get everything done. If people would rather do 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM instead, I'm certainly amenable to that suggestion. As more people sound off, we can get a general consensus of what time people would want to start the class.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link