• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Please put us down for both events on Thur.

:smile:

Updating Thursday's stuff . . .

Dinner

=R= +2

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

-27- (21 definite, 6 probable)

Drinks

=R= +2

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

-30- (22 definite, 8 probable)

Please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Initial Inquiry about Thursday Night (August 7)

7-AUG - Thursday Night - PART 1: Dinner

Blackbird Restaurant, 619 W Randolph, Chicago, IL 60606, 312 715-0708

Award-winning chef Paul Kahan

Custom, 5-course, chef's choice, prix fixe dinner in the private, upstairs room at Blackbird.  Total cost, with wine pairings, tax and gratuity would be approximately $140 per person.  Without pairings, the price would be approximately $100 per person.  Premium wine pairings would also be available for an additional $35 per person (~$175 total).  Each diner would have the option of ordering either of the pairings, or ordering beverages a la carte, at their own expense.  Each diner would choose from one of these 2 menus:

'Nasty Bits' menu (e.g. cheek, pork belly, shank, tongue, sweetbreads)

or

Vegetarian menu

Chef Kahan is excited about the prospect of putting together such a meal for our group.  It promises to be a great event, as we'll have the upstairs room at Blackbird all to ourselves and we'll enjoy a unique, customized meal from a Beard-award winning chef and his restaurant's stellar crew.

~~~~~

Will we see a bit more detail about these menus? I'm leaning towards "nasty bits", but I'm willing to be steered towards the veggie menu if that's a strength for Chef Kahan. I'd also like to know more about their wine service - particularly what their notion of "premium" might be.

Thanks for putting this together, Ron. This is going to be great!

Initial Inquiry about Thursday Night (August 7)

7-AUG - Thursday Night - PART 1: Dinner

Blackbird Restaurant, 619 W Randolph, Chicago, IL 60606, 312 715-0708

Award-winning chef Paul Kahan

Custom, 5-course, chef's choice, prix fixe dinner in the private, upstairs room at Blackbird.  Total cost, with wine pairings, tax and gratuity would be approximately $140 per person.  Without pairings, the price would be approximately $100 per person.  Premium wine pairings would also be available for an additional $35 per person (~$175 total).  Each diner would have the option of ordering either of the pairings, or ordering beverages a la carte, at their own expense.  Each diner would choose from one of these 2 menus:

'Nasty Bits' menu (e.g. cheek, pork belly, shank, tongue, sweetbreads)

or

Vegetarian menu

Chef Kahan is excited about the prospect of putting together such a meal for our group.  It promises to be a great event, as we'll have the upstairs room at Blackbird all to ourselves and we'll enjoy a unique, customized meal from a Beard-award winning chef and his restaurant's stellar crew.

~~~~~

Will we see a bit more detail about these menus? I'm leaning towards "nasty bits", but I'm willing to be steered towards the veggie menu if that's a strength for Chef Kahan. I'd also like to know more about their wine service - particularly what their notion of "premium" might be.

Thanks for putting this together, Ron. This is going to be great!

There is no set menu yet as the event is still six months away. Chef Kahan and his crew will be cooking the nasty bits in the style of Blackbird. I have had some tongue prepared by them and it was hands down the best I've ever had. The veggie option is more for people who can't stomach tripe, and glands, and other good stuff.

As for the wine, I'm absolutly positive that their idea of premium is pretty darn tasty, and worth the coin.

Toby

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I will have to go tentative for thursdays events, both. I will not know until later exactly what my travel day will be.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

About dinner at Blackbird, would there be any chance of having the option of non-alcoholic pairings? I'm a cheap drunk, and I doubt I could handle both the wine at dinner and cocktails at TVH, but I feel dinner would require something better than water (my usual choice of beverage).

Edsel,

I think Toby/Alchemist covered this but just in case, menu details will be provided a bit closer to the actual event, as will details about the pairing options.

If you ask most people, they'd probably tell you that pork belly is one of Blackbird's signature items. While I'm sure they'll do a very nice job with the veggies, 'nasty bits' are in their wheelhouse, and that's why Toby and I asked chef Kahan and crew if they could take the meal in that direction.

About dinner at Blackbird, would there be any chance of having the option of non-alcoholic pairings?  I'm a cheap drunk, and I doubt I could handle both the wine at dinner and cocktails at TVH, but I feel dinner would require something better than water (my usual choice of beverage).

Rona,

I'm not sure if non-alcoholic pairings will be an option but you'll be able to order either menu without pairings or, almost certainly, just a glass of wine.

General comment: As for specific selections, we'll be asking for that information a few months down the road, so there's no need to worry about it for now. When the time comes, we'll post here about how to make your selections and reserve your place(s).

~~~~~~~~~~

Both of us in for both parts on Thursday . . .

Can you count me in +1 for the Violet Hour?

Mr. Heartland please sign me up.

Thursday (both events) +3

I will have to go tentative for thursdays events, both.

Add two for both Thursday's events.

Dinner

=R= +2

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

-36- (29 definite, 7 probable)

Drinks

=R= +2

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

-41- (32 definite, 9 probable)

Please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks!

=R=

Edited to add Sam Iam, with whom I cross-posted.

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Saturday +3

Updated list for the Saturday event:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

Fresser

cat lancaster

HeatherM

Lady T

yellow truffle +3

-74- (69 definite, 5 probable)

Only 16 spots remain :smile:

=R=

Steve and I would be a maybe for the dinner at Blackbird and a highly likely for coktails at TVH.

I can't do the dinner, but would like to be included for drinks at TVH Thursday.

Dinner

=R= +2

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl* +1*

-38- (29 definite, 9 probable)

Drinks

=R= +2

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

-44- (35 definite, 9 probable)

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

It would probably be more accurate to change my status to "probable" - because as much as I want to be there for everything, sometimes life interferes...

But assuming I do make it to the Velvet Hour, I expect I will be +1.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Ronnie,

If Jim and I are in Chicago on Thursday, we would love to meet everyone at TVH, so please put me down as a tentative +1. I'm really hoping to make it on Thursday, but we may not leave until Friday. Thanks for all your work on this.

-Karen

It would probably be more accurate to change my status to "probable" - because as much as I want to be there for everything, sometimes life interferes...

Np, Tammy. Should I change your status for Blackbird or leave it as is? What about Saturday?

. . . we would love to meet everyone at TVH, so please put me down as a tentative +1.

I would also like to be included in the Thursday dinner at Blackbird

Dinner

=R= +2

Alchemist

newbie21

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

edsel

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

Nina C.* +3*

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl* +1*

Elrushbo

-39- (30 definite, 9 probable)

Drinks

=R= +2

HeatherM

Alex

tammylc* +1*

jesteinf +1

edsel

tino27 +1

Lady T

prasantrin* +1*

Marmish* +1*

newbie21

Nina C.* +3*

Jean Blanchard +1

santo_grace +1

HOLLY_L

NancyH +1

nyokie6 +1

nsxtasy +1

yellow truffle +3

joiei*

moreace01 +1

Sam Iam +1

LuckyGirl +1

Darcie B

kasw* +1*

-46- (35 definite, 11 probable)

Again, please take a look at the above lists and let me know if I have failed to record your status accurately.

Thanks! :smile:

=R=

I certainly plan to be there on Saturday, so you can keep as definite for that. It's the Thursday events I'll have to assess when the time gets closer and I can see what the budget looks like. So probably for both of those.

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Please include me for the events on Thursday. I'm already another party's +1 for Saturday. Is it possible to tag along to the cocktail event without drinking? If space doesn't permit that then please just include me on the dinner list.

Thanks.

Excellent idea, Tammy, teaching Liam to appreciate fine beverages.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It's The Violet Hour. The Velvet Hour, was in the 70's.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE